1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Tales and CatDog

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by ToonamiCN20, May 16, 2016.

1. ToonamiCN20

ToonamiCN20 Banned

Am I the only one who remembers both of these shows?

These were shows I watched during my early childhood. (along with Teletubbies, FOP, SpongeBob, Rugrats, and Blue's Clues)

CatDog is (sadly) the least liked nicktoon from the '90s. IMO though, I love this show. Every episode was amazing and not too long ago, I watched many episodes in a row. It's the only '90s nicktoon I grew up with. (along with Rugrats) The teeth episode scared me when I was little. (anyone remember that episode?) My favorite episode was when Rancid Rabbit arrests everyone. My favorite characters are Cat, Dog, Winslow, and Cliff. The theme song was catchy.

Dragon Tales, while it's for little kids, can be enjoyed by anyone. I thought this show was much better than the 2 PBS shows that preceded it. (Magic School Bus and Arthur) (I never got into Arthur and I liked Magic School Bus, but not as much as DT.) The show would have songs between the 2 episodes. I loved Ord, Zak, and Wheezie. It also has fun episodes like the one where Max thinks he can't do much because he's short. The reason why it can be enjoyed by anyone is because it doesn't dumb down the morals to kids. They present the morals very well and it's very entertaining. It feels like a show that was on Nickelodeon. (even though it was on PBS) Don't be fooled by the channel it's on, it's a great show for everyone. If you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend it.

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I have never seen Dragon Tales because I was too old for shows like that when it was around, but I know about it.

I loved Catdog as a kid. I think it may of been the first show I made a conscious effort to watch episodes when they premiered. My friend and I were obsessed with it and drew tons of fanart. My favorite episode was Catdog Food, but I also liked the one where they thought it was going to be the end of the world. I remember the teeth episode but it didn't scare me because I was like nine or ten at the time. Now I only like it for the nostalgia as I know that if I never saw it as a kid I would hate it.

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I remember them. I don't think I've seen Dragon Tales since 2007. Not sure if that's the right year but that's my best guess. I do remember liking it, but now that I'm older, I don't know if my opinion has changed or not. Perhaps I'll watch it sometime to see if it holds up. CatDog, on the other hand, I watch On Demand sometimes. I don't see a whole lot of love for it on these forums, but for me, it's one of my favorite Nicktoons.

4. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

I love both CatDog and Dragon Tales,

CatDog - Best classic Nicktoon comedy with great funny episodes/plots.The opening theme song was awesome/catchy.Both CatDog along with Dunglap/Mervis, Lola, Randolph, Mean Bob, and Eddie the Squirrel, best funniest characters, and both Winslow, Cliff/Shriek/Lube, Rancid Rabbit/Rancy, Eddie the Squirrel, Mr. Sunshine, The Gopher, Mindy Wonderful, Tallulah, Mr. Bottomleiner(I love armadilloes), the evil dalmation, Cat's 9 Life Spirits, and The Amazing Ray were my favorite awesome classic enjoyable antagonists:D.Both CatDog were poor punching bags I feel sorry for, but they had their awesome victories in All You Can't Eat, Fistful of Mail, CatDogPig, The Cat Club, Climb Every CatDog, Fred the Flying Fish, and CatDog Divided for example, yaaaaaaay.

Dragon Tales - It was my favorite awesome classic children's cartoon next to Berenstain Bears, David the Gnome, The Magic School Bus, Arthur, Curious George, Maya and Miguel, Cyberchase, and George Shrinks.It has great sweet episodes and good morals to kids, both Emmy/Max, Enrique, Ord, Cassie, Zak/Wheezie, Quetzal, and Lorca were awesome entertaining protagonists, mostly loved Cassie and Zak/Wheezie:D.Both Cyrus and the evil dragon bullies were my favorite awesome vile antagonists.

#4 Radical, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  5. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I also remember both shows

Catdog was cool I guess while I don't remember much about Dragon Tales except the stupid theme song which was basically Bubble Guppies before there even WAS Bubble Guppies!

The theme song went like this IIRC: Dragon Tales (x2) Dragon Tales (x2) Dragon Tales (x2) !

(if you've ever watched Bubble Guppies you'll understand my comparison!)

#5 Mikurotoro92, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Alright, just watched a couple episodes of Dragon Tales and I still think it's pretty good. The episodes were really nice and the morals were good. I also enjoyed the stories. Perhaps I should look back on other shows I haven't seen in years. I've actually been meaning to do that for a while but still haven't gotten far.

7. Jazz

Jazz Member

I've mentioned before on this site that I didn't like CatDog growing up. Well I did at first when it started, but slowly over time the show just rubbed me the wrong way, a lot of episodes had dark endings that left me disturbed and thinking about things eight year olds probably shouldn't be thinking about. Like that episode where CatDog visits a museum about ancient Egypt and it goes into a story about Cat, who's the royal attendant of the Pharaoh (who happens to be Rancid Rabbit) who's helping him build a pyramid that's going to be the Pharaoh's resting place, and Cat is plotting to become the new Pharaoh since Rabbit is about to die anyway- well by the end of the episode Cat is locked inside the pyramid with the mummified Pharaoh and Dog lives outside and gets to enjoy life while Cat is just...doomed to die alone in the dark with his dead boss? I know not everybody feels this way but this show to me had way too many ugly, mean spirited characters with bitter endings that didn't always get outweighed by what good there was in there too.

But I do admit, there were good points, I remember enjoying the Parents Day special a whole lot and there are a few episodes that I can say are actually enjoyable.

Dragon Tales I remember from watching in the fifth and sixth grade when I'd go over to a friends house when at the time she didn't have cable and so we'd end up watching this and Arthur and Cyberchase. It wasn't a bad show for little kids and while I was a little too old to watch, I don't remember outright hating it as much as the other preschool aged shows at the time like Dora.

8. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

Basically, it's the predecessor to the Squidward torture episodes of SpongeBob. But me and my dad like CatDog.

I also remember Dragon Tales. A lot of the VAs on that show went on to voice MLP characters.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No ones ever the only one who remembers anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

A show that aired all over the world is definitely remembered by many.

Try "Does anyone remember Cartouche, Potatoes and Dragons, Dililah and Julius, Troll Tales AND Spaced Out?" (Yes, me)