1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Ball

Discussion in 'toonzone Animation Wiki' started by Harley, May 29, 2011.

1. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

Dragon Ball is a 1986 weekly anime television series, produced by Toei Animation and directed by Minoru Okazaki and Daisuke Nishio. The Dragon Ball anime is composed of 153 episodes, adapting chapters #1-194 of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball comic. Originally broadcast on between Japanese television from February 26, 1986 to April 12, 1989, Dragon Ball received three theatrical films and a tenth anniversary film. The story continues on into Dragon Ball Z, a sequel television series which adapted Dragon Ball chapters #195-519 over the course of 291 episodes, which was originally broadcast April 26, 1989 to January 31, 1996. A second sequel, Dragon Ball GT, was produced and lasted for 64 episodes, which aired from February 7, 1996 to November 19, 1997.
    Plot
    Deep in the mountains a young boy with a monkey-tail and wild hair lives in harmony with his surroundings. One day, a city girl named Bulma hits the boy with his jeep as she traverses the world in search of the seven wish-granting Dragon Balls. Bulma reveals to the boy—named Son Goku—learns that his Grandpa's keepsake is the fourth of these wish-granting Balls. Bulma finally convinces Goku to join her in her quest under the condition he won’t have to relinquish his ‘Grandpa’, the Four-Star Ball. Goku and Bulma gain new friends and see exotic places along the way.
    Meanwhile, the self-declared Great King Pilaf is also searching for the Dragon Balls. Aspiring to rule the world (even though he has no clue what he’ll do once he has), Pilaf and his two henchmen, Shuu and Mai, are a step behind Goku and friends. After finally stealing the Dragon Balls from Goku and friend, Pilaf summons the Dragon God, Shen Long. Before he can request his wish of Shen Long, Goku and friends throw a monkey wrench in his plans. With Pilaf defeated, Son Goku parts from his friends to train under the wise God of Martial Arts, Muten Roshi.
    Influences
    Based heavily on the comic it is adapted from, Dragon Ball begins deeply rooted in Akira Toriyama's gag style with Chinese and Japanese influences, particularly in design and martial arts. The martial arts—and training methods—are clear nods to Jackie Chan films (Drunken Master in particular). Over the course of the series, the characters and story become more serious with influences tilting toward role-playing games and more serious martial arts choreography. By the time one hundred episodes have past the series has abandoned most of its lighthearted humor in exchange for more serious storylines and darker comedy.

Dragon Ball Guides

Dragon Ball Episode Guide
    Dragon Ball Main Character Guide
    Dragon Ball Minor Character Guide
    Dragon Ball Locations Guide
    Category: 1980s animated series
    Category: Anime TV series
    Category: Dragon Ball
    Category: Action animation
    Category: Shonen Jump series

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Hey, I'm sort of toying with the idea of beginning to add some stuff to the Dragon Ball articles, and I'd like to know what you guys think.

A few basic ideas;

•I'm stuck between using the official subs that Steven Simmons (Daimao on the forums) has used as the basis and using the full on roman spellings. For example: Simmons uses 'Kaio-sama', but my personal preference (and what I find to be most accurate and informative) is using 'Kaiou-sama', which is a proper full romanization.
    •I'd like to suggest changing the title of the Dragon Ball article to Dragon Ball (1986) series to distinguish it from a possible title for a comic/franchise Dragon Ball article. I'm not Hellbent on it, if moderation would rather not.
    •There's still a few lingering 'Dragonball', rather than Dragon Ball (which is the official righting for the animated titles, near as I can tell).
    •Speaking of which, I'd like to suggest changing 'anime' to 'animated series'. While I'm sure the former was just written as a place-holder during the initial rush, I think 'animated series' provides far more a professional look and accurate description, considering how 'anime' applies to both a television series and a Japanese animated film.

There is more I'm sure I'll think up, but I wanted to get this out there while the fire was still hot, so to speak.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Hmm.

1. Official stuff > personal preference.
    2. I think that change makes a ton of sense. Better to focus on individual series at this early stage than the entire franchise in one uber article!
    3. Ew. We definitely want to fix that "Dragonball" thing.
    4. Have to ponder that one.

4. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

While I agree with that sentiment, we wind up with Kami-sama in place of God/God-sama. Such things are easily fixed by including an explanation in the character's article, but it leaves me a little apprehensive. Oh well~!

2. Right, so would that be something you need to do? I'm pretty sure there's a message warning regular users to not attempt it. I'm fearful the Smoke Monster will try to eat me!
    3. Yeah, I think I forgot to make one change, but I did send in an edit of this article to be approved that has changes included.