"Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F" News Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Sarada, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  2. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

This means anime gets to be played in theaters in Latin America! AWESOME!

3. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I just realized that Toriyama hasn't even finished his initial character designs yet. Looks like the animation will be rushed again if this is supposed to be released in later April or early May.

4. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Huh. I guess maybe this will be a bit more of a regular thing. I still won't have seen Battle of Gods until FUNimation's Blu-ray is released, but I assume these are where Toei actually puts some money. Probably to the even greater detriment of everything else...

5. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I wonder who will be the director? I think Nagamine Tatsuya is busy right now acting as Series Director of Happiness Charge PreCure and probably directing the upcoming movie. Hosoda Masahiro was director of the 2013 film. Most recently he has directed One Piece Episode #650 (22 June 2014). I hope he isn't asked back in lieu of someone more talented.

Toei Animation does not pay for the animated TV series themselves, let alone films. The production committee members come together and decide the film's budget. Toei Animation merely acts as the central studio of animation production.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I guess soon we'll find out if Vegeta will in fact get his turn to become Super Saiyn God. ;) They have quite a challenge following up on the last movie and the threat that was presented there. Maybe now is the time for visitors from an alternate universe / timeline?!

Edit: Translated comments from Toriyama via Kanzenshuu:

7. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Yeah, I was waiting for Kanzenshuu to get their hands on the comments before I even trusted anything said in regards to the film. It is indeed a sequel to Dragon Ball Z: Kami to Kami so hopefully Toriyama is using his idea about continuing with Vegeta as the central focus.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Pretty excited. After the last film, there are so many directions they can go with this.

9. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

I was talking to some friends on if we'd consider Battle of Gods and future films are considered "milking" of the franchise.

Personally, I absolutely do not.
    To me, the whole "milking" of the franchise is on FUNimation's end with the multitude of rereleases of the original show.

Toei only released the Dragon Boxes as well as the same footage, and that was it until Kai.

Battle of Gods and future films in my opinion is a true revival of the series, and like most people, as long as Toriyama has some involvement in it, it has real potential to be enjoyable.

Note, I know a number of people weren't too keen on the recent "Dragon Ball Minus" chapter, but if you read it excluding that Bardock TV special exists, it's definitely an enjoyable read. And more over, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman definitely proves Toriyama has still got it as a manga-ka.

10. GingaDaiuchuu

I should've said "where Toei actually puts some time, effort, and strong staff lineups". You get the idea.

11. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Not to sound like I'm kicking you in the balls when you've just come to the table with heart in hand, but that is not always up to Toei alone. He who payeth the bills tells-eth when the project is going to come out. I do agree production committees need to plan better, though. No Game No Life benefitted tremendously from being finished entirely before the first episode was broadcast. Toei ought to halve their output, but it is very rare a studio can afford to turn down a request from a sponsor.

12. GingaDaiuchuu

The fact that nearly all of Toei's work has been consistently and obviously lazy in the past few years suggests that they're not giving all of their projects the attention that's deserved.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

One Piece is frequently a good example of that, although the animation has gotten better than the dark times around 2011 and 2012.

14. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

15. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Here's another update...the tagline for the movie is "The worst wish in history. That is the beginning of despair."

Oh dear.

OK, so here's my wacky theory. You know that splash image of Goku right there? Maybe that's the classic, confident SSJ Goku we all know and love, and that's it. But let's say somebody got the dragon balls and turned him evil...wouldn't that look kind of fit that too?

Like I said, wacky. Not as much as that "hey what if galactic overlord Vegeta from another timeline invaded our universe!" idea, though!

17. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I wonder if we may be seeing yearly Toriyama-penned Dragonball Z movies for the forseeable future. And if each film builds on the last...dang, we could be in for one heck of a treat.

18. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

So, wait...

監督 (kantoku) is used for 'director' in Toei Animation films. Yamamuro Tadayoshi is credited in this Oricon article as being the 監督. Holy crap, talk about a promotion! He drew the current key visual that is floating around, so I wonder if this means he is going to do both roles?

Also, the production committee has opened another website that actually has promotional art.

19. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

20. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Yamamuro Tadayoshi is another case of Toei Animation not hiring a particularly strong director. Yamamuro hasn't even directed before.

Here are his Dragon Ball credits up until now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014