Dragon Ball Kai to continue in international markets

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Takao, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/06/dragon-ball-kai-continues-but-not-in-japan/

2. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

YES!!!!

Nicktoons hasnt seen the last of DBZ Just yet!

3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

Interesting. Must have done better in America then they expected.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Now my one reason for disliking Kai is gone. With the Buu arc, Kai watchers can finally see the full story.

5. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I wonder if it was Saban Brands who put the money for DBZKai to continue. Funimation said it didnt sell very well for them.

6. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Ugh. Argh. Ack. Well, at least the cast is recording it, but still...what a waste of money.

7. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Its because Toei Animation does not have any other franchises to exploit internationally. One Piece, Pretty Cure,Zatch Bell all failed. Its actually an investment (Paying money to make money) when you think about it

8. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Cool. At least it will be complete. Absolute waste of money, but it's not like Toei puts any effort into most actual new animation either. New Dragon Ball stuff does tend to look better, though. Seeing that TFS special today reminded me of that.

9. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Well, now that I've had some breakfast it's time to sit back and see how the hell this all plays out. I wonder how they'll cut the ninety-one episodes down?

That had not escaped me.

10. gmster

gmster Active Member

If Saban indeed had a hand in funding this, they would've made sure it would broadcast exclusively on Vortexx. Can't have others profiting from your investment.

11. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Considering Kai got impressive ratings on Nicktoons and now on Vortexx, I wouldn't call it a huge waste. Besides, it's nice that it won't stay incomplete.

12. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Looks like Nagasaki Yukio might be returning to the series, too. Nagasaki was the Audio Director, in charge of placing music and directing the actors. Ugh.

Well, it was complete. Toei never said they were going to do the whole series. ;)

13. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

So, I'm guessing this will be about 50 or so additional episodes?

14. FriendlyMushroom

FriendlyMushroom Knight of Sidonia

So, Kai is getting the Buu saga? Great! When it comes on I'll be sure to let my little brother know so he can catch it. :)

15. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

We'll know whenever we know. The first arc was fifty-four episodes, the second was fourty-four. I'm hoping for fourty myself. If you're going to do this, do this was different from what Dragon Ball Z did as possible.

16. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

I'm not really surprised since not only was DBZ Kai such a huge hit for Nicktoons but it seems even DBGT is doing well for them. I'm guessing this is an idea they struck recently to get greenlit otherwise I'm sure they would of waited some BEFORE showing GT if they were going to get a Buu Kai. As for how they're going to do it and how many episodes it will be... hard to say. Maybe since this isn't a Japanese production like the rest of Kai they'll try catering more to western or other auidences and thus it could be more quicker paced or they could try stretching it out more then regular Kai since unless they want to just make totally original material there's not really much else they can do with DB besides Kai Buu.

17. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I'm thinking this has a lot more to do with international markets but it would be interesting if Saban and/or Viacom helped foot the bill.

18. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

It's likely the international markets. Dragon Ball Kai has been licensed in a hell of a lot more countries than any other recent Japanese cartoon series and airs on the teley. Toei can guarantee strong licensing fees and royalties and won't have to do any marketing themselves, so they're a bit more free to produce another arc worth of episodes. Domestically, Kai is old hat, espicially with the Dragon Ball Z name now being brought back for the 2013 film.

Anyway, I did some number crunching. Tanaka said that they were recording the part where Goten and Trunks disguise themselves as Mighty Mask. I believe that happened in Dragon Ball Z episode #214. Assuming Kai adapts at least two episodes an episode, that'll be around episode #6 or #7.

1. episodes #200-201
    2. episodes #202-205 (the way Dragon Ball Z adapted the comic here will require a bit of good editing to try to match it to the comic's story)
    3. episodes #206-207.
    4. episodes #208-209.
    5. episodes #210-211.
    6. episodes #212-213.
    7. episodes #214-215.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong here, so who knows...

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I remember a few comments that suggested that DBZ Kai could continue on outside of Japan after it ended, although I think most of them were about the possibility of Funimation editing the episodes together themselves. Still, it's surprising to see that this did happen. At least it will cover the rest of the series.

20. firecrouch

firecrouch A Pimp of Science!

You're wrong about this part.