"Dragon Ball Kai" FUNimation Home Video Release News & Discussion

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Sarada, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I figured we could use a thread seperate from the licensing thread and the original Japanese run of episodes to discuss the home video release of Dragon Ball Kai as released by FUNimation Entertainment.

Anyhow, Dragon Ball Kai Season One Part One is now available for pre-order from RightStuf. This post will frequently be updated with the listings for the new home video releases. Remember, Dragon Ball Kai is being released on both DVD and Blu-ray formats.

Season One Part One: DVD | Blu-ray
    • Son Gokû and friends are drawn into a ferious battle to save Earth from the Saiyans. Renewed and 'refreshed', Dragon Ball Kai retells the story of Dragon Ball Z in a quicker and speedier format.

Here is a quick rundown of the Japanese releases of Dragon Ball Kai:

Television Broadcast: Dragon Ball Kai is aired at 9AM Sunday mornings Japan time, preceeding One Piece, in a high definition cropped wide screen presentation.
    DVD Release: Dragon Ball Kai is planned for a total of 33 DVD singles, each three episodes a piece. This release sports a standard definition master of the cropped wide screen presentation of the series.
    Blu-ray Release: Dragon Ball Kai is planned for a total of 8 Blu-ray box sets. This release uses a high definition full screen master of the series, retaining the 'refreshed' Dragon Ball Z's original aspect ratio.

Currently we are unsure of Dragon Ball Kai's aspect ratios for FUNimation's home video releases.

Discuss!

2. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

Leave it to ToonZone's number 1 fanboy to make a thread for this:anime:

But I really can't wait to get news on this. If Funimation does not get new information out at Katsucon themselves, I hope someone asks about this.

3. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

I'm hoping Zach will be able to choke some information out of Adam while he's there.

Anyhow, I think it'll be a while before I can start collecting Dragon Ball Kai. I need to get a job before I can spend so much dough on it. :p

4. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

I haven't been collecting the Orange Boxes or Dragon Boxes, so I guess Dragon Ball Z: Kai would be a good place to start my Dragon Ball Z collection. 'sides...I'm curious about the new dub. :sweat:

5. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

RightStuf should have their next FUNimation sale in May, so hopefully I'll be able to save 40% on the first Blu-ray set and still get it around its release date. I can't wait!

6. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

What? No DVD's cover art yet? Anyways, how many episodes will FUNi will gives us? I'm in doubts FUNI will go back the their old habits of showing 3 episodes in one DVD again. Yeah, Japan is doing that, but that doesn't mean the U.S should do that too.
    Well, if I ever do get the DVD's, I will get it for the dubs. Nothing else but that.

7. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

They're doing the Season 1 Part 1 thing again, so I imagine we'll be getting about 12 - 13 episodes per set.

8. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

I am pretty sure they won't go the single route seeing this set costing 50$. A friend of mine, Kendamu, suggested they may just bed 8 episode sets since the first season of Kai was only 17 episodes as I recall. But if that was the case they should have lowerd the price, as Funimation has the same price for One Piece dvd sets which have at least 12 episodes.

9. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Dragon Ball Kai isn't done in a 'season' format. The Saiyan arc ends with episode #16, however. I don't foresee FUNimation doing a set of eight. It'll likely be 12-13 episodes long considering it's going for fifty bucks.

10. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

That's what I said we will just have to see what Funimation says tomorrow...

11. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I really wish they'd just release the sets by storyline instead of episode count. Surely they could find good "arcs" to compose each set.

12. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

That wouldn't be the best business decision. If the first set ended on episode thirteen they'd leave off with the first episode of Gokû's fight with Vegeta, meaning if one wanted the entire fight they'd have to spend money for both the first and second set, not to mention all knew series' are all done in this 12-14 per $50 set model.

Also, with the Namek arc...that's almost 30 episodes long so far...not going to be in one set...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
  13. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

Hmmm, $50 for 12-14 episodes sounds way to much if you ask me. I mean, the DBZ season boxsets that has 30+ episodes cost no less than 30$ a pop.

14. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Dragon Ball Z is a show FUNimation has owned the license to in the US for fifteen years. They've release it four times. They've made their money on that show.

Dragon Ball Kai, however, is a series they have not made a lot of money off of. In fact, they have made no money off of it, thus they must use a model that has proven to be a successful one. Newly licensed series' cost a lot of money, after all.

15. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

There's a difference though DBZ was made in the 80's while Kai just came out this year. There is definitely a reason why there is a price upgrade.

EDIT: Drats, Jacob Mr.Jacob beat me!

16. jph139

jph139 Immortal

$50 MSRP is par-for-the-course for new anime releases; One Piece is ten years old and goes for that, while Kai (even if the footage is ancient) is brand new and likely VERY expensive to license.

I doubt it'll cost the full $50 at most places, though; RightStuf has the Blu-Ray for about $40 and I'd say that's a fair price if you want it right away.

Personally, though, I'm going to wait and see, if I get it at all. Depends on how consistent the dub is with the original series, to be honest... gah, my weird hang-ups and desire for consistency makes buying Dragon Ball stuff so stressful.

17. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Yeah, not to mention Dragon Ball Kai is still airing, is still being released in Japan on home video (quite expensively, too) and this is the first foreign licensing and release of Dragon Ball Kai that we know of.

If you want consistency...just watch the Japanese version. It's the most consistent...save for only the packaging differences between Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Dragon Ball Kai.

18. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

Alright, alright, alright ppl. I get it, I get it. I'm just saying thats little to much. Just saying. Not hating.

19. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

Keep in mind that MSRP bears very little relation to the actual real-world price. Keep an eye on RightStuf and wait for sales and you'll likely be able to get it for a lot less if you're of a mind to be frugal.

20. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Oh, I completely understand. Doesn't mean I like it, though. :p