1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Dot's first question- ancient games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dot, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Dot

Dot Guest

As a young whippersnapper in the middle class suburbs of Pennsylvania, my parents always refused to buy the newest game systems. I have never owned a nintendo. I do, however, have an Atari 7800 and an.......Atari 400! Ack! Inspired by this recent question of PC games, what were your favorite old game system games? Here's mine:

FROGGER!!! (for atari 400)
    Star Raiders
    Q*Bert (which I never mastered)
    Galaga
    Super Breakout (one-player pong)
    ....I've forgotten the others... all I know is that the left-most keys like 1 q a z and everything to the left don't work on mine anymore...

--Dot :^)

2. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

Spy Hunter.

Hard hat Mac,

Duckhunter:

That is all.

3. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

I loved Berserk on the 2600. But watch for Evil Otto!

Also Defender.

4. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Okay...

Ms. Pac Man
    Crystal Castles
    Maze Mania
    Enduro

And yeah, the new Frogger truly blew some chunks. The sequel to it was a lot better, though. Oh, and did you know that Konami is making a sword-and-sorcery Frogger? What the?!

5. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

That was obsolete before it even launched
    You poor thing. They didn't even give you the Atari 800 or a Vic 20 instead? Did you know the Atari 800 is collected amoung Amiga fans as it is Jay Miners last project done at Atari before he walked and went off to make the Amiga. Of course the Atari 400 has practically no colletion value as they are just cheap knock offs of the 800 made by Atari them selfs.
    All are the C64 versions

Pengo - What can I say I love this game this is Sega's finest puzzle game ever well I perfer the SMS version but that it is ultra rare now and I should never have sold my copy. Anyway The C64 version is ok but they got the dancing penguins in the intermissions all wrong which they fixed in the SMS and Game Gear version but that makes sence since Sega did the SMS and Game Gear version but someone else did the C64 port and they should have got the Intermission right I mean it is not that hard they just had to copy it from the Arcade. I wish Sega puts this game on a CD along with ohter such oldies.

APB - Amazing port from the Arcade game

Jumpman and Jumpman.Jr - I can belive I wasted so much time sitting in from of this but I'd do it again. This is proof that sometimes simple graphics is all a games really needs.

Choplifter - This game is way past cool. And the C64 version plays just like the SMS version excpet the SMS version looks better.

Qbert - What can I say it is a classic

Ms Pakman - Regular Pacman sucks this is far better.

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

#5 Psycho Fox, Jul 17, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2001
  6. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Sigh....

I miss Atari. I used to play Seaquest and Dig Dug for hours on end. I don't think they've been revamped/modernized...of course to me that would be like rewriting the Bible in pig Latin.

7. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Nothing beats the old school games! Isn't there supposed to be some place on the Internet where you can download an emulator to play these old games on your PC?

I go back even further, to Pong. And there was an old game my uncle had on his PC waaaayyyy back in the late 70's that was a space war game, where the ships were represnted by X's and O's and you shot at the other ships with dashes and it was really fun. I don't recall what it was called, but I did find a site about it once (lost the link tho) and it is one of the first video games ever.

8. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

You do realize that emulation is wicked and immoral and corrupting and leads to fornication, right? And if you were to, say, do a search engine query combining the words "emulator" and the classic system of your choice, you'd go straight to hell.

Though speak not of this emulation, for it tends to annoy large corporations and, more specifically, their lawyers.

9. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

I'd have to disagree with ya there. Alot of the orginal programers have spoken up and gave their support for the distrabution of their old software of course 9 time out of 10 it is not their call to make. Some of them even try and find images of their old work. Plus some compaines even have enough sense to make money off this. The Amiga corporation decided to support and market a certain commercial emulator for the Amiga as they get money for the Roms and OSs that come with it plus they see it as a way to finaly move the Amiga harware forward since they can emulate it on new PPC machines.

10. Dot

Dot Guest

Re: Re: Dot's first question- ancient games

Hey, I have Choplifter! I was addicted to that for some time. And Belch, I've got Dig Dug, too...I'd forgotten about that. I can still sing the song...it doesn't type well, though. That was one of my absolute faves. For some odd reason I found two different versions of Centipede, too.

Has anyone ever played Xevious? (probably spelled wrong) I really stink at that game...

There's something I found called Tower Toppler and I remember it being really cool but it's broken and I can't figure out how to fix it... hmm...to find another copy'd be impossible. Drat.

--Dot :^)

11. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

pacman pong and javanoid

12. killercroc

killercroc Active Member

I think the Hatter was being sarcastic there. But it is true that it annoys big corporations. I've been to several NES Rom sites that have been shut down by Nintendo. Of course, I was only at that site as an observer. I didn't actually download any games or anything.;)

It really doesn't make much sense. I mean how could Atari ever make another dime off of combat? Or Nintendo of off Double Dragon? Well, maybe they could find a way to make money off of them, but people downloading them and playing them as ROMs isn't going to affect them. Especially on a game that's 10 years old.

Back on the subject of old games. I used to really like the Zork games on the Commodore 64.

13. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I have a C64 emulator, but I can't get it to work, unfortunately. Some of my most favorite games in the world were on Commodore 64. There was one based on Dallas that I loved to play, but could never figure out the solution.