Doraemon on Disney XD?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by HG Revolution, May 9, 2014.

1. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

2. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

Both the ANN and Crunchyroll provide links to articles in Japanese. Here is the article from Nikkei.com in English. It is possible Disney themselves may announce this show for Disney XD shortly, possibly tomorrow. I could easily see it running around July 7, when The 7D cartoon premieres on Disney XD.

3. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Finally an English dub of Doraemon! I'm excited. I can't wait to see Disney's plans for it this weekend...
    Now that they will translate the names (I like the Hopter and the Anywhere Door) how will they do that for Shizuka and Suneo?

4. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Holy crap! And here I thought they'd never put it out stateside!

I haven't seen this yet, so looks like this may be my chance.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

My jaw dropped when I heard the news. I never thought I'd see the day when this will happen. Doraemon is one of my favorite anime, and the movies are really fun because of the huge adventures they go on!

Ah crap, you're right. I always wondered how they were going to handle a show like this. I figured the show was so Japanese, they had difficulty localizing it in the past.
    As for names:
    Nobita - Norbert
    Shizuka - Samantha
    Suneo - Sidney
    Gian - will probably be the same. Since it's the character's nickname that derives from "giant", maybe they'll call him "Big Guy"? I dunno.

I just hope they treat this show better than they did that Stitch anime. Doraemon is HUGE everywhere but North America. They gotta make sure they handle this well.
    Sucks that "Stand by Me, Doraemon" is the last movie. But it's probably for the best because a few of the recent ones are remakes of past films.

6. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

[MENTION=7973]Dudley[/MENTION]: They will call Nobita "Noby" and Takeshi/Giant "Big G". I'm a little worried about the others.

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I'm so glad! :D I hope our Disney XD will air it too!

I really want to see a Dutch dubbing of this cartoon :)

8. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

"but it will use Doraemon as content for elementary school children in the lower grades. "

So as anyone read this before getting all excited?

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

The show IS meant for elementary school kids in Japan, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the case here. I doubt they ever planned to give it the "Crayon Shin-Chan" treatment.

10. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

We got Doraemon since the late 90's and it was initially in Spanish with Portuguese subtitles on Canal Panda. Now we get a Portuguese dub of it and it only airs on weekends...
    I'm used to call the Doraemon characters Nobita, Shizuka, Giant and Suneo, so it seems that I have to adapt when the English dub premieres.

11. EHH123

EHH123 Member

"Doraemon’s favorite dish, dorayaki or bean-jam pancakes, will be referred to as yummy buns, according to the spokeswoman." Eh, it could be worse. Makes me wonder how they will deal with riceballs (if they show up).

12. Grenzer

Grenzer Well, he's almost a pony...

It's belated, but one of anime's most enduring franchises is finally making its way to America. At this point I don't really mind that they are going to Americanize the characters and story to some degree. As long as it's still recognizably Doraemon and kids get a chance to get exposed to this very cool show then it's all fine. Remember, any anime that raises anime's profile in the US is good for the industry and the fanbase, dub changes or not. Opportunities like this come along only once every five years or so, sometimes even less frequently, so I hope it really takes off.

13. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I REALLY hope this doesnt end up being another Naruto Shippuden false start for anime.

14. MagicBox

MagicBox xoBcigaM

I'm excited and all, and I really, really hate being "that guy," but... I find it hard to be happy based on how little we know so far. We know it's getting dubbed and we know it's getting censored/rewritten/Americanized. (Is that all we know? Did I miss a part of the article that described the changes in more detail?) And I understand the logic behind it. I really do. But none of that really deserves a "hooray" until we actually get more information or see an episode.

It's a Japanese family show being reworked to "appeal to a wider audience" on a mainstream network. We've seen how stuff like this tends to go down. The original music likely won't be kept, nor will they care about making faithful English versions of the theme songs. Stuff like this doesn't normally get a chance for a decent DVD release, either. I fear it's just going to end up like Digimon, where it's only similar to its original Japanese version in the sense that it features (most of) the same animation and shares the same basic plot. Doomed to forever remain a niche, "lite" version of its former self. I wouldn't wish that upon any show. I'll try to remain cautiously optimistic (because this has the potential to be great news), but I'm no longer at the point where things like "oh, a dub" gets me excited. Remember, this has just as big a chance of hurting the franchise as it does of helping it.

I'm all for increasing awareness of the Doraemon brand; I just hope they remember to respect the original show while they're "considering" us Americans.

As a side note, how's the quality of the English manga translation? I can tolerate name changes (if I must), but is the script pretty faithful? Any edited artwork?

15. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I'm also worried about the names of Nobita's parents: Tamako and Nobisuke.

16. Red Arrow :D

[MENTION=29076]MagicBox[/MENTION]: Why can't you just be optimistic? :) You don't know how good/bad it will be. Let's hope it will turn out to be great ^^

Besides, you can still rant as much as you want when you find out this summer the dubbing isn't good, right?

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm just glad that after several decades, the most popular anime to never get an English dub, is FINALLY getting one.
    There's no harm done if it doesn't do well in the States. It's still huge in Asia and in parts of Europe, and I can enjoy watching whatever subs I can find.
    I think we all should've learned from the anime boom that televised anime dubs are rarely ever as good as the original, or even that faithful.

18. Red Arrow :D

I prefer the Dutch dubbing of Shin Chan above the original version.
    They cutted it big time (2 shorts of 10/11 minutes became 3 shorts of 6/7 minutes) but I just don't like the original version. Every oversexed joke is gone, they've added some new (better) jokes and the voice acting is brilliant, so yes I love this version :)

I think it's based on the Vitello version? I don't think it ever aired in the US :/

~ That's the only example of censorship I really like. I normally hate it, believe me.

19. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

So according to some press articles I've read, it will be in a block targeting preschoolers and younger kids. I guess maybe like a Disney XD Jr.? If so, I'm even more excited, and I really should have seen that coming, based on how Disney XD was created in the first place.

20. Red Arrow :D

Huh? But then what's Disney Junior meant for?