"Doom" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Oct 21, 2005.

?

Rate This Movie and Post Your Comments

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!

Hell Breaks Loose
    [​IMG]
    "Should efforts of containment be endangered, eliminate with extreme prejudice."​

Release Date: October 21, 2005
    Studio: Universal Pictures
    Director: Andrzej Bartkowiak
    Starring: Karl Urban, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Rosamund Pike, Deobia Oparei, Ben Daniels, Raz Adoti, Richard Brake, Al Weaver, Yao Chin

Plot Summary: Something has gone wrong at a remote scientific research station on Mars. All research has ceased. Communication has failed. And the messages that do get through are less than comforting. It's a level 5 quarantine and the only souls allowed in or out are the Rapid Response Tactical Squad - hardened Marines armed to the teeth with enough firepower to neutralize the enemy... or so they think. The research being done at Odluval station has unwittingly opened a door and all hell has broken loose. A legion of nightmarish creatures of unknown origin lurk behind every wall and stalk the countless rooms and tunnels of the facility, killing what few people remain.

Sealing off the portal to Earth, Sarge (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson), Reaper (Karl Urban) and their team must use every weapon at their disposal - and some they find along the way - to carry out their orders: nothing gets out alive.

The game that electrified a generation leaps from the computer screen to the big screen as a terrifying science-fiction action adventure that will transport moviegoers to a dark and disturbing future with all the visceral excitement and horror that made its gaming predecessor a global phenomenon.

Visit the official move site here.

Comments?

It's "game time!" The Rock's biggest blockbuster to date brings popular first person shooter Doom to the big screen!

2. Frank Castle

Frank Castle Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Going to see it tonight in about 2 hours with a 8 other friends. Theater's gonna be packed and it should be fun.

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I have to wait until Sunday to see it. Hope it's entertaining, though. The ads look pretty cool. Been years since I've seen a good video game-based movie.

4. Hades

Hades New Member

I'll be seeing it on Sunday, but I don't have much hope for it. I never cared for the games, but I must see every movie that is based off a game, no matter how bad it is (like House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark).

5. Frank Castle

Well I saw it last night and I have mixed feelings. The story wasn't very good but the action was great. There's a huge part of the movie involving the 24th chromosome infecting a marine and then it goes into 1st person mode for about 5 minutes. It was pretty good overall. 3.5/5

6. dc_gothamite

dc_gothamite dead is dead

hilarious overall. zero plot, zero character development, cheesy action, funny lines (especially during Sarge's "death").

the five minute first-person shoot-out was commendable, but overall cheesy. My entire theatre burst out into laughter when that scene came up.

not really good IMO. Goes right down there w/ other failed video-game movie attempts including Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

7. G. Wen

G. Wen aspiring artist

You know, I really want to see this because I love unintentional comedies. I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD.

8. g_UnIt_GaNsTa

g_UnIt_GaNsTa |||||||||DRINK|||POWERADE |||||

You forgot Wing Commander.

9. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses New Member

This movie is actually making money?
    http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
    Odd, I hadn't even heard about it till last week and it's a video game movie...surprising numbers. Not great, but surprising...
    to me, at least.

10. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Ehh, people figure it'll be an entertaining sci-fi shoot-'em-up, I don't think anyone really expects it to be classic filmmaking. I think it has a pretty stable audience.

11. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

This movie was awesome. One of the better video game adaptations I've seen. The development of The Rock's character was truly interesting, and the first-person sequence was very well implemented. Recommended to fans of the game.

-Terminatah

12. Frank Castle

I saw it again today with a buddy of mine. I still enjoyed it and the people in my audience actually cheered when Reaper went into FPS mode.

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Damn. I really wanted to like this movie because the trailer and ads looked so cool, but I just couldn't help but be disappointed. Too much talk and not enough action. The action we did get was way too short. Also didn't like how Sarge became the bad guy. I was looking forward to a full-blown all-out monsterfest finale, and instead we just get a standard one-on-one fight scene. I thought the POV sequence was the highlight of the movie. C- :(

14. Captin "Hank" Murphy

Captin "Hank" Murphy Free Labotamies for Apes.

Pros of movie:First Person view sequence; the BFG; main character(The Rock) turning out to be the bad guy at the end; The rock acting like kill-everything, military nut-job; open-for-sequal ending; no spare-the-innocent crap

Cons of the movie:Generic "military unit on F-ed-up science lab" plot; only a few monsters; one short FPV moment

The movie is better than the first Resident Evil movie, but not by much.

I'm not all that surprized the movie didn't turn out too good. Expecting a movie, based on a game that's mostly just about fragging mosters with guns and chainsaws just for the hell of it, to be an epic blockbuster is like expecting a WWE story plot to be more well writen and smarter than a episode of "The X-Files" .

Still, I think a Doom sequal has great potntial to be kick-ass flick, since they got most of the backstory out of the way.

I give the the movie a 3 out of 5.