Donald Duck versus Daffy Duck: The Duck Wars

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by All-Star 1.5, Sep 22, 2002.

?

Who is your favorite cartoon duck?

1. Daffy Duck

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. Donald Duck

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I can't decide I like them both.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. All-Star 1.5

All-Star 1.5 New Member

Who is your favorite duck. Both have temper problems, both can be greddy, and both can be manipulitive to get what they want.
    The only straight up difference is that one is white and the other is black so who is your favorite duck.

2. Mackenzie Rainelle

Mackenzie Rainelle Anime Psychoanalyst

Daffy. I have yet to see Donald calmly walk over, pick up his beak, and snap it back onto his face after it getting blown off.

3. David64ca

David64ca New Member

Daffy. I think Daffy is a lot more greedy and crazy than Donald. Donald is funny, but not crazy funny.

I really hope Disney and Warner Bros. can find a way to bring these two together again. Maybe a Roger Rabbit 2? They were really funny in Roger Rabbit. But I doubt that will ever happen.

4. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

You forgot one extremely HUGE difference. Daffy is daffy while Donald is not.

I like both characters, but chose Daffy. Daffy, at least the original version of him, was creative and interesting.

Jack :D

5. Sharklady

Sharklady New Member

I'll have to go with Donald- his sputtering temper tantrums crack me up every time.

6. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

I like 'em both,but Daffy's just much funnier.....I love the cartoons where he and Bugs argue over which hunting season it is.....

7. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

The little black duck

I went with Daffy... though do like Donald as well (probably my favorite classic-short Disney character besides Goofy and Uncle Scrooge). Of course, still wondering why they insisted on having Daffy (a duck) chase Speedy (a mouse) back in the sixties... :)

-B.

8. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

My vote goes Daffy... but CLASSIC Daffy, back when he really WAS daffy instead of just angry. You know, all hyperactive bouncing around "Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo!" Later on they made him all angry all the time and introduced that whole Daffy/Bugs rivalry thing, and while it was still quite funny, it smacked of a total Donald Duck ripoff. (Donald Duck / Mickey Mouse rivalry, anyone?)

Donald gets big points, too, though, he's probably my favorite "traditional" Disney character. That huge elaborate snowball fight he had with his nephews in an old Christmas special remains one of my personal favorite cartoon moments ever.

9. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

This is a REALLY tough call, but ultimately I go with Donald. I don't like the "simply daffy" Daffy Duck - the colder, crueler, and just plain angrier one (ie, Rabbit Season/Duck Season) is better. Even so, Donald is even more wicked - his emotions could turn on a dime. And I dig that.

-Tim

10. Mackenzie Rainelle

Mackenzie Rainelle Anime Psychoanalyst

The dialogue between Daffy and Bugs is so much better than anything between Donald and Mickey. WB could do a rivalry right.

"Would you like to shoot me now, or wait 'til you get home?"
    "Shoot him now, shoot him now!"
    "You keep out of this, he doesn't have to shoot you now."
    "Well, I say does have to shoot me now! Shoot me now!"
    :: POW ::

11. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

Some people have argued that the Hunting Trillogy (the Duck Season/Rabbit season cartoons you are referring to) actually do use the earlier Daffy, especially the first one, "Rabbit Fire." In that one, Daffy even goes woo-hoo and teams up with Bugs at the end to hunt for Elmers.

You should give the 1940s/early 50s Daffy more of a chance.

Jack :D

12. J.C.

J.C. Citizen of Cobra-La

Despite Donald being my favorite of the classic Disney characters, Daffy easily gets my vote as favorite of the cartoon ducks. Like someone else said a few posts earlier, Daffy is just..... well...... daffy!

13. song cycle

song cycle New Member

Two best cartoon short characters of all time in my book. But if I had to pick one in time it would be the insane Daffy as per the Avery/Tashlin/Clampet shorts. Daffy was in a handful of great shorts after those guys left, but those shorts usually lacked the energy and willfull abandon of his early years. Donald was great in his early incarnations (Band Concert) as well as his later ones (Drip Drippy Donald, Don's Fountain of youth). So overall I'd go with Donald.

ps Is it just me or is Disney taking too much time putting out a set of Donald Duck shorts with its Treasures series?

14. mbaker

mbaker New Member

That's A tough one. Both ducks have more personallity than Mickey, or Bugs combined. Both can be greedy, and jealouse. (Though, Daffy dose have an edge.) However, I've never seen Donald act as crazy as the early Daffy. So there's one destinction between the two fowls.

15. Eidan

Eidan The Pumpkin King

I wouldn't say that. Daffy and Donald could be considered the more human of their "good" counterparts (Mickey and Bugs), since they are littered with character flaws ranging from greed, deciet, and extreme rage. But I will say that Bugs has more personality then Mickey. Bugs always came off as a wiseguy, and slightly, if not overtly, arrogant, which is what makes him so likeable. Mickey was just...Mickey.

Oh, and I chose Daffy.

16. G. Wen

G. Wen aspiring artist

I like Daffy better than Donald because Daffy is funnier than Donald and I can understand him when he talks.

17. Magentabeams

Magentabeams Tell them Lage Marge sent you

I love Daffy. Donald always got on my nerves.

Sarahanne

18. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Actually, both ducks have some rather large speech impediments. :)

-Tim
    (Woohoo! Woohoo!)

19. mbaker

mbaker New Member

Your right. Both ducks have some kind of speech impeniment. At least you could understand what Daffy is saying. It's just that he spits alot whenever he pronounces anything with S, or TH.

20. The_Bookworm

The_Bookworm Bookish villain

Your local public library--hiding in the stacks
    Duck, Duck, Goose....

I'll go with Donald Fauntleroy Duck. In most shorts, particularly Jack King's, Donald is a pretty nice guy who gets heaped upon a lot and has a tendency to pop his cork, and who could blame him? Daffy was always either the Clampett whacky or the Jones/McKimson mean-and-greedy bugger--very few shorts show the intermediate side of him, and in most shorts we actually want to see him take it on the beak ("Blanks, he says. Have a handful of blanks! Sheesh!"). Donald you can at least pity and relate to--he tries to do right, he fails often, and he apologizes and learns his lesson when he acts badly. He is Everyman in feathers and a sailor suit.

As for DePatie-Freleng's Speedy shorts with Daffy--it made sense if they were paying him to eradicate the mouse...but--:confused: Yeah. Maybe it was legal issues with Warners, although I've always thought of Sylvester as Friz's baby.... :rolleyes: