1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Time-Warner/Hanna-Barbera fully own The Berenstain Bears 1980s series?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by MrBabySpencer, May 18, 2014.

1. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

If I remember correctly, Turner (Now a division of Time-Warner) got almost all of the Hanna-Barbera library, but did they get the Australian division of Hanna-Barbera, which produced The Berenstain Bears 80s along with Southern Star?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Considering a 2nd series was produced for PBS in later years, I'd say the rights may now be with Random House. Don't hold me to it, though.

3. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre James Earl Jones

Random House owns The Berenstain Bears series (Sony has TV and Home Video rights). Southern Star folded into Endemol, which still has the rights to Drak Pack and Dirty Dog.

4. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

Hmm, Sony owns the Home Video rights huh, looks like it's gonna be awhile before we see a release, now, isn't it, If Sony owns the rights to release the 80s series, I hope they release it soon, aside from that 2003 series, which don't get me wrong, I don't hate, I'm just not a fan of it, which Sony seems to be releasing a lot, I'm hoping we'll see the 80s series released, but due to the death of Jan Berenstain recently, something tells me we're not going to see them releasing the 80s series anytime soon unless they get approval from Mike Berenstain.

5. Rabbitearsblog

I'm hoping they release the complete series of the 1980s Berenstain Bears series. I thought that the 2003 version was okay, but I grew up with the 1980s version and I would love to see all the episodes in their entirety again.

6. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I heard that Nelvana now has the rights to the 1980s series. It makes sense, given that they produced the 2000s series on PBS, and after Southern Star folded, Nelvana acquired the 1980s series so they could apparently own the complete Berenstain Bears animated library (they may or may not also own the early 80s TV specials as well.) I know this because on a couple of YouTube Poops I did of the 80s series, there's a (non-view-restricting) copyright claim on them from Nelvana that only showed up a year or two ago. And I know that Sony had the video rights to both the 1980s and 2000s shows.
    In the meantime, Random House has an official Berenstain Bears YouTube channel that's uploaded a number of the 1980s episodes.