Does this currently feel like 2004 or 2009 to anyone else here?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by wonderfly, Oct 18, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Another random thought: Over the next year or two, with all these main/popular shows ending (Adventure Time, Gumball, Steven Universe, Teen Titans Go?!?) or having already ended (Regular Show, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa)...it feels like we're on the verge of a major programming line-up shift for the network.

And also, we really don't know what show is going to be the breakout hit for the network for the next wave (aka the next generation's version of "Adventure Time" or "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"). It probably hasn't aired yet. "We Bare Bears" isn't going to be that breakthrough hit. The reboots of "Ben 10" and "Powerpuff Girls" aren't it. It's too early to say if "OK KO" is going to be the breakthrough hit.

My question is, does this feel like 2003/2004 (the year/year and a half prior to "Foster's Home" premiered, in August 2004)? That period where Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Time Squad had ended, and Johnny Bravo and Samurai Jack were on the verge of ending? (those shows ended just a few days or weeks after "Foster's" premiere).

Or does it feel like 2008/2009 (the two years prior to Adventure Time premiering in early 2010)? That period where "Codename: Kids Next Door", "Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy", "Camp Lazlo", "Ed,Edd, n Eddy" and "Foster's Home" were all cancelled?

In late 2003, people were starting to wonder: "Where does the network go from here?" And people felt similarly in pretty much all of 2009...

Are we at a similar crossroads for Cartoon Network now?!? Does it suck not knowing what the next big wave of cartoons will be like, or this time, does it feel like there won't be a next, big wave?!?

• Like Like x 2
  2. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

It certainly feels like CN is at a crossroads as it was during the later part of the 00’s decade, with all of its show ending and making some questionable choices (CN Real in 09 and excessive TTG in 2017). It’s entirely possible we may be witnessing the dawn of the next CN Dork Age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Well, we know for a fact there are a few new upcoming cartoons coming next year, most to all of which show a fair amount of promise IMO.

4. 90'sKid

But remember, just because a show “has promise” doesn’t mean it will do well. For all we know the next crop of cartoons could be a bunch of duds.

5. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Better than 2009 when there were none.

6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Yeah I think we are coming upon a new era.

7. 90'sKid

Well you got me there!

Sorry to seem like a downer, it’s just that CN hasn’t had a Cartoon that’s interested me since EEnE ended.

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

It's mainly a dry year for CN, for the most part not much has really happened, nothing really good or bad really. OKKO is fairly good although kind of boring at times but still enjoyable, which is a step up from 2009, and most shows that aired at the time just being okay compared to the larger amount of better shows right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mqg96

mqg96 Member

2009. Easy answer. When it comes to the management and the piss poor decisions 2017 is more related to 2009, but in a completely different way. With 2009 it was the first full year in CN history Toonami was gone, the network made a huge mistake with the CN Real and the advertisements felt like you were watching something on TeenNick or Disney Channel. Dark time for animation. With 2017 Cartoon Network it's the repetitive schedule and the lack of content on the network. A somewhat disappointing 25th anniversary. I could go into more detail about both years but we all know the story.

2004 was just a huge transitional year for CN, arguably the most transitional year in its entire history, but it was still an overall great year for CN when it came to all the content, shows, premieres, blocks, variety on the schedule, promos, bumpers, etc. People exaggerated about 2004 because there were too many changes to adapt to, and I wouldn't blame anybody for that, but that doesn't mean the year should be compared to 2009 or 2017. I've said it many times but 2004 was a huge transition for a lot of kid stations, not just CN.

10. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Yeah, I don't see Cartoon Network transitioning into a new era with a HUGE wave of shows anytime soon, like 2004 and 2010 gave us for CN. I remember the 3 year cycle thread you gave us. 1992-1994, 1995-1997, 1998-2000, etc. I expect CN to make huge changes between 2019-2021. So about 2020 I predict we will get a whole new era of bumpers and shows (The CHECK it era will finally end after 10 years). Then between 2022 and 2024 Cartoon Network will only be available on streaming service and the network will be gone. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the CHECK it era goes all the way until CN becomes a streaming service only. Harsh, too early prediction.

11. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I also agree. Back then, the channel was living through a dark age, though they later knew that they could make new breakout hits. Only time will tell.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo New Poster. Old Lurker.

I do think that this year is one of the worst years for CN ever but CN always has these phases where they have a bad year and eventually they pick it right back up. I'm hopeful for 2018 with all the new shows and Total Drama coming back but it might not be until 2019 when the full transition is finished and things get better.

13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Clarence hasn't ended yet, but it's about to end.
    I don't understand why everyone is so sure Steven Universe will end after season 5?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I do't even like Steven Universe all that much and am just waiting for it to wrap itself up... Too bad I'm NOT convinced that they must have a really good endgame in place to conclude with, if it's true that this show is going to end after 5 seasons, as it is. Seriously, where is it in the news that Steven Universe is done after Season 5, anyway??? I sure as hell don't see it.

15. AmazingGumball

Infinity Train or Villianous honestly seem to be the only sensible options for promising hits if(in the best case scenario with the current management)the network is competent enough to properly give them a chance and not be pushed to the wayside or be surrounded with ttg marathons overshadowing them

16. AmazingGumball

I definitely agree. 2004 was definitely a transitional year for CN but it never really was that much an omen. there was still unlmited variety like you said. They still had toonami, CN Fridays, action shows like JL/JLU, Fosters Home entered and Camp lazlo was on its way next year along with CN City so there wwas at least plenty to look forward too then. Unlike now in 2017 when most of the shows that put CN back on the map havent been treated with any form of respect or dignity, CN's addiction to TTG is at an all time high much like live action in 2009, and the network putting no effort at all into celebrating CN's anniversary. At the rate miller and Vishnu are operating CN wont be around for the next 25 years

#16 AmazingGumball, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  17. AmazingGumball

I feel like once Time Warner is bought out by AT&T which can mean a change is eminent. Miller and Vishnu could possibly be fired(fingers crossed)

18. AmazingGumball

I agree, hopefully then we could possibly see Infinity Train finally get announced

19. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Then again the whole AT&T merger proposal has been delayed, who knows how long but it depends whether or not these two will still be around when the day the merger continues again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

When pigs fly.
    That’s not how it works, a merger has no affect neither Vinshu or Miller, they still going to remain the same position as they were before. The so-called excuse for the merger was to acquire nearly everything that Time Warner owns including this.

• Agree Agree x 1