1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does or has anyone ever collect Black and White WB cartoons?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by DVDLooney, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Dreth

Dreth Member

Do you know of any unusual intros for the redrawn looney tunes?

2. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I seen the VHS Recording I have of "Porky's Cafe" and the opening intro was the 1956-57 opening rings from a cartoon, such as, "Deduce, You Say?"

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Dreth

Dreth Member

Quoting from an earlier post by J Lee, he said this "If you think the closing to the redrawn "The Village Smithy" was weird, you should have seen the original opening they gave it.

Instead of the WB shield zooming towards the camera, the redrawn opened with an extreme close-up of the middle of the W-B logo which they deliberately photographed out of focus! the camera then pulled back and brought the logo into focus, with the 'Vitapone' and 'presents' wording already in place. The opening music was clipped on the cartoon and didn't begin until after the W-B shield receeded into place.

This opening was only seen on the syndication package. When the cartoon was shipped to Nick, they never put the fake 1956 title card opening on it, but out-of-focus part was cut off and the image faded in at the point where the clipped opening music began (the logo's colors were the newer blue-and-gold design Warners began using in the early 40s and continues to use to this day instead of the red-and-white logo the cartoonstraditionally have had)."

4. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yep. I'll definitely have to look into that.

5. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Rai 2 aired both the original and the redrawn version of Chicken Jitters. Same happened with A Coy Decoy, Daffy's Southern Exposure and The Impatient Patient.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The B&W print had the dub credits which means they used the B&W ones for the dubs.

6. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I never seen the B&W print of A Coy Decoy. I wish I watched it when it aired on Rai 2.

7. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

So interesting, the EU B/W Print of "Daffy's Southern Exposure, 1942" which was aired on Rai 2, replaces the 1941-1945 LT opening music cue with 1937 ones and 1939-1946 Porky's Drum Ending with 1937-1939 ones. Like here:

8. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I'm not sure if it's just the dubbed track doing that. It also happened Fish Tales had the track from Rover's Rival at the beginning.

Rai 2 started replacing B&W prints with colorized prints in late 2005-ish. They put the dub audio over the colored ones, because all of the Italian dubs were done on the B&W prints, except the Harman Ising Merrie Melodies.

Sadly, I never got the chance to record A Coy Decoy in B&W. Boomerang added the B&W shorts colorized in their database in 2005, and all the redrawns were the same as Rai 2, which makes me think WB sent those audio mixes.

9. Dreth

Dreth Member

Is there a Computer Colorized version of "Chicken Jitters"?

10. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

Right, because there is a Dubbed track used in that cartoon. I hear "Lights Fantastic" ending music cue at the final scene with Daffy on his Southern Exposure.

11. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

A computer colorized version of Chicken Jitters exists, but I've never seen it.

I'd really like to have an high quality B&W version of A Coy Decoy.

12. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I've never seen a B&W version of A Coy Decoy nor a Colorized One. I've only seen an awful looking Chestnut logo version of this cartoon as well as a redrawn version online.

13. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

I saw the computer colorized version of The Impatient Patient on an old CN rip, as far as I know it's also on a VHS (I can't view it because my VCR is PAL only).

Anyway, I have some B&W shorts released on Laserdisc. They look really good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WB has absolutely zero interest in releasing shorts. They could put AT LEAST the existing prints of all the shorts in the Warner Archive, so people wouldn't have to "violate copyright" to watch some of these classics.

14. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Agreed.

15. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I've recently discovered that there's Black and White versions of Porky's Pastry Pirates and Who's Who in the Zoo.

16. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Both should be on DVDs as special features.

17. neff

neff New Member

i have several however i am not sure if you have the same versions

• Like Like x 1
  18. neff

neff New Member

Here is a redrawn version of a coy decoy :

• Like Like x 1
  19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

NewBogus posted The Black and White print of Porky's Prize Pony on Dailymotion:

Devon Baxter from Dailymotion also posted The Original B&W Print of The Henpecked Duck as well:

20. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Hey, Guys, I've found a Black and White version of "A Coy Decoy" via YouTube: