Does Nick have a grudge against action shows?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Does anyone starts to feel that Nick is getting out of the action genre and more into comedy. I mean look at how it treats its action shows:

So I recently heard the news about this one. Legend of Korra started out great on a Saturday morning slot with Book 1, then move into a night where lots of people are out and where it competes with Disney Channel's premieres. That's when ratings start to sunk. Then rather than moving it to a different day, Nick STILL decides to keep Book 3 on the same day Book 2 was before AND doubling up the premieres (which is a sign for the network to make this show disappear as fast it gets). Nick dropped the ball hard when with no announcement, it decides to pull five episodes off the air just so it can ship it online for more viewers to watch for free. While it was a much wiser choice IMO, why the heck didn't Nick do that in the first place!? To make things worse, LoK had little to no promotion on the main network, repeats were barely shown (expect on Nicktoons, but not everyone has it). I may not be a Korra fan, but come on, that was one of the stupidest decisions made by Nick. The fact that even the show's creators and staff didn't knew about it in the first place was completely irresponsible.

Moving on to Winx Club, which hasn't been shown on the network since last year. I think it would've feared better if it was paired with TMNT and Kung Fu Panda on Sunday and market all three (and LoK would've fit better there too) as an action-adventure block. TMNT at 11am, KFP at 11:30, LoK at 12pm and WC at 12:30. Those shows would've been a great pairing. But... instead WC was placed in a Sunday afternoon deathslot with no other premieres surround by it, has gotten no promotion and barely getting any reruns (similar to LoK; it's gotten some repeats on TeenNick, but like I said not everyone has it). It's gotten to the point where Nick shipped a few new episodes online with ZERO notice. Not to mention it won't pick up the seventh season. WC has a franchise that sells like hotcakes around the world just like TMNT and SpongeBob and I don't know why Nick has rejected this show already. And it was their fault the ratings weren't good.

Finally, on TMNT, Nick seems to adore this show by selling its merchandise globally and promoting when it comes to new episodes. But one thing that's missing are the repeats. I mean, why hasn't Nick placed any reruns on the schedule expect one that's only on Sundays? Nick loves this show as much as SpongeBob, but schedule-wise, it seems to have a problem fitting the show into the weekdays. Heck, even The Thundermans and Rabbids Invasion are both on the schedule, but they both are less popular and get less ratings than TMNT and have lower episode counts compared to TMNT and they are still on the weekdays. That's really unacceptable for a series that's nearly (if not, very) as popular as SpongeBob, Transformers, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and My Little Pony. Yes, repeats are already on Nicktoons, but you already know the drill.

Other shows that deserve the mention of this thread are: T.U.F.F. Puppy, Kung Fu Panda (though, both are more of an action-comedy), and Supah Ninjas (its second season was starting to get screwed, though). I think Power Rangers is still on the schedule is because of a contract, but otherwise, it would've been shipped off to Nicktoons already.

So that clears everything, but does anyone think Nick is shifting away from action (expect TMNT) because it's starting to focus more on targeting the post-millennial audience (Nick already has Nick Jr., so why would it be targeting little tots on its main network is beyond me)? It's a speculation, but I believe that's one of the answers.

2. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Honestly, when I heard about WC, PR, and TMNT being under Nick, I thought an action block to rival CN's DC Nation and DXD's Marvel Universe was imminent. However, this was not the case. There are two problems with action on Nick: toy sales and target audience. WC really fell through due to weak toy sales in the US (or so I've heard). This might have contributed to its downfall. It also doesn't help that Nick tried to burn through all of the first four seasons by 4 hour-long specials and airing seasons 3 and 4 weekday mornings at 7/6c. I can't blame people for not watching WC since it takes a very hard obsession and following to keep up with it on Nick.

As for the other series, namely TMNT and LoK, these series have a lot of older viewers watching it. I'm thinking that Nick wants to deter this by putting it at undesired time slots so these series can have lower viewership (or at least lower adult viewership). Plus, with Nick's new slogan being "Funny Rules", I think it is a safe bet to assume that action is not on Nick's priorities right now. Nick prides itself more on comedy series than action (although their action series can be more excellent than their comedy series). Now, I can understand most of the action series, but I don't really understand Nick's maltreatment of TMNT. It is essentially an action-comedy, and one that still captures a lot of 2-11 year-old viewers. Plus, it is more desired than SJC, RI, and BW. However, it still doesn't have a weekday timeslot, while BW (which by the way has only aired 9 half-hours so far), has (or had) a weekday time slot. I don't really understand Nick's philosophy right now, but I really wish they get it together. They are forsaking series that can bring in big ratings (if handled properly) for series that are unfavorable and seem to be temporary hits. To be honest, I can see shows like LoK and TMNT lasting a lot longer than BW, RI, THH, TTM, and even SJC. However, this is my opinion and I'm probably being harsh.

All-in-all, while I do enjoy some of Nick's action fare, I don't expect Nick to place too much prominence on them anytime soon. The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure some of Nick's "post-millennial" viewers do enjoy action series.

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Action cartoons aren't doing well all around. Kids just prefer comedy more now.

4. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

Sometimes I wonder if Nick is intentionally trying to drive away adults.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I don't think that I'd refer Winx Club as an action series per say. There is action in it, but it isn't quite like with the other shows mentioned. Or at least I never really thought of it as an action series. From what I understand, the toy sales for Winx Club were probably the biggest factor as to why they dropped the series. They clearly were expecting to get more money out of it considering that they co-funded two new seasons and made those four one hour specials to recap the first two seasons. They probably thought that the toys would do better, but there was a lot more competition here. Although, they also didn't help matters by changing around the timeslot for premieres, having little to no promotion for the series after season five started and going weeks at a time without a premiere in the middle of a season. I also think that making recaps for the first two seasons instead of redubbing them was a pretty bad call on their part. That would make it harder for kids to get into it if they didn't see the 4Kids' version of the series since there wouldn't be enough time spent on the characters for them to get more invested.

I kind of feel bad that they didn't pick up the seventh season, but I also haven't seen Winx Club since somewhere in the middle of season five and it already felt like it was starting to drag.

The situation with Korra is pretty bad. The long break in-between seasons one and two might have weakened what younger audience members they had, especially when there weren't a lot of reruns of the first season, and moving premieres for season two around didn't really help either. Putting the season finale online a week before it aired probably wasn't a good sign either. They've handled the entire third season extremely poorly. I imagine that the leaks were unexpected to them and were the reason why they decided to start season three out of nowhere, but they gave the series little promotion, aired multiple episodes every week, which was a clear sign that they wanted to get through the season as fast as possible, didn't have the episodes legally available online for a long period of time, moved the series to digital distribution and didn't even announce that after last night's episode for those who might not have heard the news yet.

While I'm not sure if I'd say that I'm a fan of Korra, it was treated quite poorly and the way they handled this season was just plain sloppy.

TMNT's main problem is how they don't have it on the schedule often enough and they haven't aired the remaining episodes of season two for some reason. They actually include it for their general promos and I think that the toy sales have been doing well, so it is being treated the best out of the three series here. I think that they have more promos for their premieres, but I'm not sure about that. It could still be handled better.

I don't think I'd say that Nickelodeon has a grudge against action cartoons. The way they handle them isn't helpful, especially with Korra, but action cartoons don't seem to be as successful as comedy series are nowadays.

6. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Yeah, pre-order that's a good idea!

I honestly don't think it's just action cartoons, I mean look at all those shows that got shipped to Nicktoons and TeenNick, or the ones that finished on Nick on a deathslot w/o promotion.

7. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

Nick never intends to interest adults. They never have, and that includes Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Hub Network, and all the other kid networks. Kid networks don't pick up shows because they think it'll have an adult following, they pick up shows because they think it'll have a child following. After all, Animaniacs was canceled because there were too many adults watching rather than kids. Shows that get adult followings essentially get lucky.

8. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Love and peace

I theorize that kids have less interest in action cartoons because of the increase in violent video games; why watch a half-hour of other people fighting bloodlessly when you can first-hand blow peoples' brains out for hours?

Another reason to ban that genre...

9. Darissa Townes

Darissa Townes Active Member

Nick isn't the only network kicking sand in the genre's face.

MY theory is that a concept for a comedy cartoon is easier to write than an action cartoon. Now, this is by NO MEANS saying that comedy is easy to write, nor EASIER to write, but in terms of a solid logline, SJC's 'A boy and his talking snake have zany adventures' is an easier idea to digest than 'A boy must learn to control all the elements in order to save the world.' That's also probably why a lot of cartoons and Nickcoms in particular have been getting such plain titles, ie Sanjay and Craig, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Sam and Cat; ridiculously simple titles that leave little to the imagination of what the show will be about.

For Nickelodeon and other cartoon networks, there isn't a huge conspiracy against action cartoons. It's just that no one wants to risk confusing children with high concepts, so they just stick with the simpler ideas. Not to say that SJC or the others don't have clever content, which I'm sure they do. I, however, enjoy some dramatic action in my cartoons, so I guess that's my loss.

10. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Pffff.....these kids. This is why 80s/90s kids can always get along(for the most part), because both decades have their fair share of action toons. Yep...of course 90s had a sweet blend of comedy and action. Heh, WB was churning out content like Batman:TAS and Animaniacs at the same time. Wonder what this decade'll hold.

11. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

I'm not so sure about Cartoon Network and The Hub. CN has had an active role in YouTube's "geek week", their main shows really cater towards adults, and the many shout-outs their marketing gives to various older cartoons. The Hub is an even better example, considering they picked up Animaniacs for re-runs.

Disney might be better, but their content is also pretty friendly towards adults like Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.

It seems like Nick really has something against adults who watch cartoons.

I was thinking more along the lines of big-budget blockbuster movies like what Marvel puts out.

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

If The Hub were trying to target adult viewers by acquiring Animainacs, they would aired the reruns of A! at night alongside ALF and Happy Days. Just because adults aren't discouraged from watching the shows on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, The Hub and Nickelodeon doesn't mean that adults are the target audience for any of them. CN and Nick have programming blocks which are specifically tailored for adults (Adult Swim and Nick at Nite, respectively). Note how their Nickelodeon and CN's hits don't air on either block.

Why is the fact that Nickelodeon favors kid viewers a surprise? Nickelodeon has been a kids' channel since Day One. Nick has never targeted adults in any of it's programming, which is why Nick initially signed off at 8 PM. It's not that they have a grudge against adult viewers, they just don't care if adults are watching the channel or not. They never have. Adults are considered to be Nick at Nite's problem, not theirs. Saying that Nickelodeon ignores adult viewers is the equivalent to rap enthusiasts saying that CMT has a grudge against hip-hop or that the Oxygen and WE channels both ignore male viewers. It's a hollow complaint because these so-called neglected audiences were never being targeted in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  13. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

But that is exactly what Cool Eric said. Nick has never been for adults and they arent going to start now.

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel may have shows that can appeal to adults, but the main audience they cater to, and most concerned with, are children.
    And maybe you weren't around for the 90s, but Nick has put great emphasis on the fact that they are a kids network focusing towards kids programming and that will likely never change.

15. FriendlyMushroom

FriendlyMushroom Knight of Sidonia

Nickelodeon has never been big on action shows. Prior to Danny Phantom and Avatar: The Last Airbender, I don't know if they even had any action cartoons. The Avatar franchise cartoons are arguably the only cartoons they've had that that are serious drama action cartoons with a bit of comedy thrown in, as opposed to action comedy cartoons with a bit of drama thrown in. Avatar co-creator Bryan Konietzko remarked at Comic-con on how Avatar is "not typical Nickelodeon fare". So I think it's a combination of Avatar not really fitting in on whole, lack of knowledge on how to handle the franchise, and action cartoons not doing well all around right now. I'd apply Hanlon's Razor here -- never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

And it truly is incompetence to pull Korra off the air entirely. Yes, lots of people were watching it online, but that's the thing -- it was already online. Back in Book 2 new episodes would get posted to Nick.com late at night after they were aired, available to watch the very next day. That was working fine, Nick just screwed that up by keeping the episodes from being posted online until several weeks later with the first 7 episodes of book 3. It seems like Nick heard everyone complaining about that and decided ok, we'll put the episodes back online, but only online. No, no, no, no. What about people who don't have good internet data bandwidth or data caps? Who like to DVR and watch it easily? Punt it to an even worse time slot than 8 PM, fine, but keep it on the air, for Pete's sake.

16. mikkej2k

mikkej2k New Member

I have to agree with you FriendlyMushroom , why not put TLoK in front of as many eyes as possible? Now , even though I pay for a cable package with NICK , I can't watch an episode of The Legend of Korra on my main TV without some inconvenience. It seems like this is a very BAD decision that will undermine the shows following.

No automatic DVR'ing. No "On Demand" .

I understand the show had some "leaks" online earlier in this season but the following decisions by NICK have been far MORE HARMFUL than any "leak"