1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Nick-at-Nite need to be restructured or abolished?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Mikurotoro92, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Should Nick at Nite get a complete overhaul or be abolished?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2016.
  1. Complete overhaul!

66.7%
  2. It REALLY needs to be abolished!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. IDK & IDC!

33.3%
  1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Should it get a complete overhaul or be abolished?

All they air is the same 4 shows (sound familiar?), the same movies, & the same commercials!

As much as Adult Swim gets flack for airing the same shows at least they have more then 4 shows to air plus they have Toonami & a really cool sign-off!

What really ticks me off is Nick-at-Nite recently changed their look but STILL didn't change their line-up of shows & movies plus they don't have a unique sign-on/sign-off!

What do you guys think?

#1 Mikurotoro92, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

If they got rid of Nick-at-Nite, there wouldn't be any difference between it and Nicktoons Network.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I think that they should just move all the shows off to TVland and switch the night demographic for Teens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't say that Nick at Nite needs to be abolished. It provides some difference between Nickelodeon and Nicktoons. What Nick at Nite needs is some variety. They're almost always airing Full House or Friends all the time. Full House makes sense as a way to lead into Nick at Nite after Nickelodeon, but there need to be more shows on their lineup. They'd probably go for more recent sitcoms now than airing older shows, but just getting some variety or focusing on the teen demographic would work. There is Teen Nick, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't really appealing to teens with their lineup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. deacy

deacy Someone calling your name, driving you insane

While I do agree that they probably seriously need to add more shows to their almost-stupid small lineup, I don't necessarily see the problem with what they're currently airing. Sure, Friends and George Lopez are really pushing it, but is the former really? Friends premiered almost 21 years ago, that sounds about right with how old shows used to be on Nick@Nite before being picked up by the network. They aired The Wonder Years a lot some odd 8 or 9 years after the show premiered, so this isn't nearly as bad if you ask me.

6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think they just need more variety. Maybe some dramas instead of just sitcoms?

7. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Soap Operas wanted...

Seriously, though - more than relying on sitcoms would be nice.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I keep forgetting that Friends isn't as recent as I think it is for some reason. Or I just keep thinking of the later seasons that they play through more often than the earlier seasons. I haven't seen George Lopez airing for quite some time, but they might be putting it in the middle of the night or early morning slots now.

I don't mind them relying on sitcoms though. As far as I can recall, they always have aired sitcoms on Nick at Nite. It would mix up the schedule, but I don't think dramas or soap operas would fit on the lineup. If they just used more shows instead of constantly using the same two shows over and over again.

9. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

The show is still on but it's on in the early morning now like you said

#9 Mikurotoro92, Jun 5, 2016
  10. deacy

deacy Someone calling your name, driving you insane

Yeah, George Lopez seems to have finally fallen from grace on the network. It's now Full House, Friends, then a few hours of Fresh Prince (which honestly I didn't think they'd bring back).

11. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I'm that this has been alluded to already, but I agree that Nick@Nite has really been on autopilot for the past few years. It's basically, Full House and Friends with some George Lopez and Fresh Prince sprinkled in. There's no clear cut direction or focus anymore. It's as if the shows on there are only there because they for some reason or another, don't fit yet in TV Land.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Doesn't TV Land's existence kinda make Nick-at-Nite's rather moot? I don't think at this point anyone would shed a tear for it if Nick killed it off. It really serves zero purpose at this point.

Now if Nick decided to make an Adult Swim-styled competitor, that would be interesting and innovative. Not a clone and not all-animation. Fox tried that and ADHD was a flop for them despite being on never-ending life-support on FXX now. Something where they are willing to try grassroots projects, bringing in unknown talents, concepts that may not work in a more-standard setting. Make it a breeding ground for the future of entertainment and just see what happens. Anything is better than endless reruns you can see online anyways.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

I'll throw my thoughts in: I think the big problem for Nick at Nite is that there is a limited range as to what it can do without seeming redundant. Almost any idea that you can think for Nick at Nite to implement is already being done by one of the Viacom networks. If the executives can find a type of programming not already covered, then that could possibly help. They had a good idea with NickMom, but decided to put it on Nick Jr. in order to target Disney Junior's Night Light. The only other idea I have is having the nighttime block basicly be The Splat, but I don't think that will rate as well as the current choice of programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

They did tried with Hollywood Heights (which is a 1 hour drama) in 2012 when started with June, and in early Aug it got moved to TeenNick for burnoff due to low ratings. That proves drama doesn't fit well with Nick@Nite. In 2014 Nick@Nite did some acquisitions for primetime like How I Met Your Mother, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Fresh Prince re-joining, but these first two didn't last at least a year. But Fresh Prince was on a primetime in 2014, but one year later got kicked out of primetime. GL has been on Nick@Nite much longest in history.

Maybe they do need more huge overhaul, surely it did update bumpers and logos, but shows need overhaul

15. Max Passa

Max Passa New Member

I think Nick@Nite should focus on sitcoms from the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s. For example: Family Matters, Full House, Home Improvement, etc.

16. Max Passa

Max Passa New Member

I think Coach starring Craig T. Nelson should air on TV Land instead of Nick@Nite.

17. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Coach already aired on Nick@Nite which is from fall 2002 until fall 2003.

Sorry to bump this up, but ratings for Nick@Nite have been down big time especially in primetime. Average viewers were 0.7 viewers, primetime is 0.7 but lower than average total day.

18. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Doesn't surprise me that the ratings for N@N are falling.

19. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Finally people are waking up & seeing Nick-at-Nite for what it REALLY is...crap !

Maybe this will stop all the incessant airings of The George Lopez Show but I wouldn't hold my breath!

It means people are getting sick of all their crap especially when they constantly air the same 4 shows & movies like The Parent Trap

(hey that rhymes!)

I don't blame them!

#19 Mikurotoro92, Oct 3, 2016
  20. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Viacom network programmers are lazy. It ain't just Nick@Nite, but other channels in the chain, like Spike. The programmers think that marathon blocks will hold people's attention better than a standard block of mixed programming. Where they got that idea, I really can't say, but it's a stale gimmick.

• Winner Winner x 1