1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Doctor Strange" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Nov 4, 2016.

?

Rate this movie

1. 5 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4.5 stars

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 4 stars

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 3.5 stars

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 3 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2.5 stars

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. 2 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 1.5 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 1 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

"You're a man looking at the world through a keyhole. You've spent your life trying to widen it. Your work saved the lives of thousands. What if I told you that reality is one of many?" - The Ancient One

Doctor Strange
    Release Date: November 4, 2016 (November 3 advance screenings)
    Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
    Directors: Scott Derrickson
    MPAA Rating: PG -13 (for sci-fi violence and action throughout, and an intense crash sequence)
    Screenwriters: Scott Derrickson, C. Robert Cargill
    Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Michael Stuhlbarg, Benjamin Bratt, Scott Adkins, Mads Mikkelsen, Tilda Swinton

Plot Summary: Marvel's "Doctor Strange" follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City's Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilizing a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discuss Doctor Strange right here!

Related Discussion:
    -Doctor Strange Pre-Release News and Discussion Thread
    -Captain America: Civil War Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Ant-Man Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Avengers: Age of Ultron Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Captain America: The Winter Soldier Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Thor: The Dark World Feature (Spoilers)
    -Iron Man 3 Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Marvel's The Avengers Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Marvel Cinematic Universe News & Discussion (Spoilers)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

This movie was awesome!

Yeah, the plot is pretty basic superhero origin story, but the atmosphere and visual style were so unique and just plain stunning, that this will still stick out from the crownd easily. Before seeing this movie, I bought Doctor Strange Omnibus, which contains a good chunk of Stan Lee's and Steve Ditko's early Doctor Strange stories, and the filmmakers have perfectly captured the zaniness of Ditko's artwork. All the other fantasy movies ever made are going to look tame in comparison.

I have made no secret out of the fact that I find Benedict Cumberbatch very overrated actor. I have never seen genuinely good performance from him or one that couldn't have been done by anyone... until now. The man is perfect Doctor Strange, down to the smallest of the mannerisms. The other actors were also solid and I'm really looking forward to the further development of Mordo. Rachel McAdams was little underused, but to be fair, I'm don't think that there would have been a natural way to give her larger part in the story.

I'm actually going to defend Kaecilius, who everyone is already calling another weak Marvel villain, little bit. The character is admittedly nothing amazing, but when you mix what we learn about him with Mads Mikkelsen's subtle facial expressions, you can piece togerher pretty clear image of his motives and there is a lot to read into. I think that he deserves the place as one of the OK villains.

Doctor Srange is by no means the new best MCU movie, but I would place it somewhere in TOP-6 or 7. At least I would call it MCU's best origin movie with the first Captain America

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I'd rate it as the 3rd best MCU origin film behind Iron Man and Captain America. It was on par with Ant-Man and much better than Thor and The Incredible Hulk.

I agree about Cumberbatch and McAdams. I thought Swinton was good as the Ancient One and she was presented well. Wong was good and I look forward to him having a bigger role going forward.

I loved how time was used in terms of the watches, the broken watch, and how Strange used the time stone. Marvel has done a good job slowly building up the infinity stones. I guess they didn't feel confident enough in themselves because Wong's line was way too on the nose.

Kaecilius was there to be a bigger badder version of the hero just like Iron Monger, Abomination, and Yellowjacket. It's perfectly fine. The big difference is Kaecilius helped introduce a legit big bad in Dormammu. I though that scene was very well done. Also, this was a solid origin story for Mordo who should be the big bad in Doctor Strange 2 and/or 3. No problems with the villains here.

One thing bothered me through most of the film. I could not place who Cumberbatch's American accent sounded like. Then I got it. Dennis Quaid. He would have been a fine choice for this role about 20 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I had high expectations (I never go into MCU films with low expectations anymore), and this film actually exceeded them.

Yes, some of the origin story beats are familiar, but they're just done so darn well; heck, the pre-superhero human scenes may be the best since the first Iron Man! Cumberbatch really sells Strange's arrogance, and then horror when he discovers that his hands are now useless.

Literally everyone are praising the visuals, so I'll just say that they're great, and that this film may be the only film I've ever seen where I can describe an action scene as "kaleidoscopic". The fight scenes are a really cool blend of martial arts and magic.

I remember on Twitter people were actually upset when Cumberbatch was chosen, claiming that he was too "obvious". Maybe he was, but he was absolutely perfect, and my favorite MCU casting since Chris Evans.

Swinton, another controversial choice, was also very good as The Ancient One. A role that could have been silly somehow carries a lot of gravitas. She reminded me of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ejiofor gave Mordo layers not seen in the MCU since Loki. I look forward to seeing him more in the sequel.

McAdams must be a really good actress. Despite the fact that her characters barely appaears in the film, she makes the most of each moment and manages to fill her scenes with emotion (and she has the best reaction shots in the film!)

Sadly, Mikkelsen didn't get the chance to impress as the antagonist, but he still wasn't nearly as lame as the Thor 2 villain or anything.

The climax, I have mixed feelings on. On one hand, it may be the most clever climax in the MCU (I did not see that coming). OTOH, I wanted to see way more of the big-bad. However, if he gets to return in a sequel, all will be well.

FULL SPOILERS BELOW

Strange also may have my favorite mid-credits scene in years. Not only does Thor get to actually appear, it seems to take place sometime during Thor 3. Strange confirmed for that film? Hmm.

• Like Like x 2
  5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

That mid-credit scene reminded me of the Civil War scene in Ant-Man. Given the photos we've seen from the Thor 3 set, the scene makes a lot of sense. There's little doubt Thor 3 will be the best Thor film.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I thought The Runaways easter egg was pretty clever with Tina Minoru having the Staff of One but I imagine they'll proably recast her for the Hulu pilot since the actress is in her early 20's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. qadleez

qadleez Active Member

It was a bit formulaic,but still enjoyable. I give it a 3.5

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, saw this yesterday. I enjoyed it. Honestly, the only thing missing for my tastes were monsters and one of his catchphrases "by the hoary hosts of. . .". The jokes got old quick. It felt forced. Ironically it was little things like Christine coming in to washu her hands and glances at Strange's cloak that was funny. Honestly, this was almost a spot on adaptation of the comics, I just don't want them to get jokey. MARVEL, DR. STRANGE IS NOT TONY STARK! I almost stood up and clapped when Strange levitated with the cloak for the first time. That was intentionally AWESOME! That I was genuinely surprised and a little frightened to see Dormammu, (a grown man who has seen many horror films) so they did a great job. The jumpscare on Strange coming back into his body worked. Kudos to Derrickson. They (MARVEL)will need to find a balance of humor and jokey funny. I felt the same about Ant-Man. . . except I overall did not care for that movie. I enjoyed the music too, until I realized why, it sounded very much like the Star Trek '09 score. I enjoyed the performances, but we still got the typical MCU villain, seemingly overshadowed by Modo and Dormammu. Swinton was as usual excellent, she's always reminded me of a female Billy Drago (See The Untouchables kids). All in all, a good film, and nice little After credit scenes that were relevant enough for me staying over.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I saw it this morning. As I had hoped, trippy and surreal just like the Ditko era. I was surprised there was more jokes and humor than I thought. "Mister Doctor" was probably my favorite along with Christine jumping at everything. lmao. Having read the 3 prelude comics before hand, understood where Kaecilius was coming from but to those that haven't...I guess would seem like another cookie cutter villain. At least he's not dead. Though arguably worse off that dead. This had to be one of the most hilarious villain take downs though. Basically annoyed Dormammu to give up.

I was happy it was mostly standalone with some small MCU bits peppered in like the Avengers Tower and Roxxon in the b.g., the assistant alluding to Rhodey as a potential surgery before the car crash, the Infinity Stone and Thor. Not so blatantly in your face like past movies. But was that 'woman in her 20s struck by lightning' a Captain Marvel nod?!

Also cool they brought in a bunch of Dr. Strange artifacts (funniest one was Strange grabbing to Evil Eye goblet when he fought Kaecilius in the New York Sanctum, a nod to The Oath, two nods to JMS - Shamballa and Strange trying to write his name on paper, brought in Dr. West, Hamir, Christine and so on from the comics. I think Kaecilius and his Zealots were being turned into Mindless Ones as they were pulled into the Dark Dimension. Not sure. Living Tribunal shout out was a nice surprise.

It could have used a bit more about the other sorcerers. Ancient One and Mordo's back story. I'm a little on the fence if they handled Mordo's turn correctly. Sure they made it known he's a rigid rule follower then goes rogue after learning about the big lie. But eh... wasn't feeling the end credit teaser. I suppose he's going after all those who left Kamar-Taj after they got what they wanted versus those who choose to defend the world. Daniel Drumm was totally wasted (though totally sets up his brother to appear later on). Tina's roles seems to have been cut down to a cameo. Shame.

EDIT: Working list of trivia

• Like Like x 2
    #9 Yojimbo, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

A lot of the special effects in certain scenes suggest they were looking to market a video game from this. Whee.

For all the criticism over Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, she came off very well, almost as if she gained inspiration from Patrick Stewart's Prof. X, if I might be so bold.

In re.: Night Nurse (1972). Georgia Jenkins was the 3rd original nurse. When it was decided that Claire Temple, Luke Cage's long time love, would be deemed Night Nurse, they merged her and Jenkins together as one character.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Funny you should mention that, someone jokingly told me that video game adaptions should take some notes from the special effects here; specifically, he was saying that the twisty-city chase scene could make for a good adaption of, say, a fast Sonic level.

• Like Like x 1
  12. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think any real Marvel Comics fan would get the 'Living Tribunal' nod. For some reason, I felt like they may not have the rights to them, or maybe that's the Watchers?

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I think you're thinking of the Watchers since they debuted in a FF comic. Living Tribunal was in a Strange Tales comic. But you know, this rights thing is wishy washy from our POV. All about well worded contracts and money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Rob from ComicsExplained pointed out the referenced a world eater which is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a FF reference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Action!

Action! Active Member

Wow that was the best movie I have ever seen. That was a strange movie LOL. That crazy scene was my favorite. I felt sorry for him early in the movie. It was the best superhero orgin film that I have ever seen.
    Rating: 10/10

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I definitely enjoyed the movie. It's not my favorite MCU movie or Superhero origin movie, and there are points where I would've preferred them to handle things differently, but overall I thought this was a solid introduction to Strange into the MCU :).

Suffice it to say, this movie was trippy. The visuals and the different dimensions were all really cool to see play out as Marvel Studios uses the onset of magic into the MCU to deliver some impressive sequences, either in different dimensions, the Astral Plane, or with the reality-bending powers of the Masters of the Mystic Arts present in the movie. A part of me wishes that they had done more with the magical abilities then simple weapon constructs, but that was a minor point in the grand scheme of things.

Cumberbatch was great as Strange, even if they played him a bit too jokey for my liking (Strange is not Tony Stark!), and the scene of him dealing with the injuries to his hands and the ensuing desperation and depression were some of the strongest moments in the movie. While I wish we could've still heard the classic chants from the comics, the moment Strange had both the Eye of Agammoto and the Cloak of Levitation and really became Dr. Strange was pretty awesome :D.

I kinda wish we had gotten to see more of Strange's training and struggles with magic over the course of the movie, and see more of him changing from the arrogant and sarcastic surgeon to the humble and somber Sorcerer Supreme. In the movie proper we kind of breezed through a lot of his training and he didn't feel all that different at the end of the film then he was at the beginning (at least in my opinion). Though it was definitely obvious in the movie that, despite Strange's obvious skills and prowess with the Mystic Arts, he still has a way to go, and growing more into being the true Dr. Strange will likely be one of Strange's overarching MCU arcs :proud:.

I really liked that moment where Strange is so shaken up after killing the acolyte and then emphatically refuses to kill anyone else in front of The Ancient One and Mordo. While obviously befitting a doctor, it's the first time we've really seen an MCU hero who explicitly refuses to kill. And, in the end, he was able to save the day without (technically) killing anyone ;).

I wonder if controlling time is the only thing the Eye can do? It's much more versatile in the comics, though obviously it also isn't an Infinity Stone in the comics. Be interesting to see what they'll do with it since it's such an essential part of Strange's repertoire, and Thanos is inevitably going to get the Stone that powers it :eek:.

Strange bargaining with Dormammu to stop him was classic Strange. I mean, a part of me was hoping for a more epic final confrontation, but Strange using the Eye to coax Dormammu into retreating was very similar to how he would often outwit the Dread Dormammu in the comics :cool:.

I liked Christine well-enough. She was another unpowered MCU love interest, and as such was pretty divorced from most of the plot, but Rachel McAdams carried the role well and her reaction to what was going on was pretty entertaining. Her dynamic with Strange was also interesting, as former lovers who still seem to carry some kind of passion for each other, and how that motivates Strange to a degree. All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Clea introduced in the next movie as Stranges true love, particularly after the air of finality that Christine's final kiss on Strange's cheek had.

I understand that they were trying to go in a different direction with Mordo, and I thought the way they were approaching him here was interesting, but I think he could've benefited from a little more focus so that his arc felt more believable before he finally turns into the villain we all know in the comics by the end (or post-credit scene as it were) :ack:.

Exploring more of his background, his loyalty to the Ancient One, and his friendship with Strange could've made his character progression all the more impactful in my opinion, and make his disillusionment at the end all the more meaningful. That being said. Chiwetel Ejiofor did a great job conveying the character's emotions and charm, even when the story was rushing him through it, and I'm definitely interest to see where Mordo will go now that he's set on a course that will likely lock him into his iconic role as Strange's mortal nemesis :evil:.

I do kinda feel bad for Baron Mordo here. Not only is he no longer a Baron, but as per the credits he apparently doesn't even have a first name :sweat:.

While I still believe they should've tried to cast an Asian actor (or actress) as The Ancient One, Tilda Swinton delivered a memorable performance here as a Celtic Ancient One. She was a fun and interesting mentor figure to Strange, and the reveal of her own connection to the Dark Dimension was an interesting twist. The final moment between her and Strange was also sweet, in it's own way :crying:.

I was left wanting more and more Wong. His no-nonsense attitude towards Strange's antics and finally letting out a big laugh at the end was very fun to watch. It's certainly different from the comics, but I think Strange and Wong have a nice dynamic going and I'm eager to see it explored in later movies and their friendship hopefully deepen to the same strong bond they have in the comics :anime:.

Tina Minoru and Daniel Drumm showing up at all was neat, even if their barely two-second roles is only to setup their more famous offspring and sibling respectively :rolleyes2:.

But hey, Staff of One :D!

Kaecilius will not change anyone's mind regarding the MCU's lackluster villains, though Mads Mikkelsen does his level best to elevate the character with what little he has available to work with. I would've liked to have seen them develop more of a rivalry between him and Strange, though I did like what few scenes they had together.

Dormammu...could've been handled better, in my opinion. He was actually a lot scarier when we didn't see him, and then he turns out to be in the same "generic cloud monster" vein as movie Galactus or Parallax, which was really disappointing to me since I was hoping for a stronger and more comic-accurate visual for Strange's greatest foe. The concept art that's been released for him looked soooo much better then what they went with :(.

That being said, the Dark Dimension looked awesome :cool:.

I'm guessing with the Ancient One's death, Strange officially taking over the Sorcerer Supreme position will be one of the main arcs of the next movie.

I think Thor has found his new best friend :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1/3: Releases on February 28.
    Best Buy Steelbook features the Eye of Agamotto (and a DVD a first in a while since IM3)
    -Steelbook with 3D is $34.99
    -Steelbook is $29.99
    -Blu/3D/DVD/Digital is $29.99
    -Blu/DVD/Digital is $27.99
    -DVD is $19.99

1/5: List of rumored special features includes another Thor mockumentary

1/6: Here's the confirmed special features

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, hopefully we do get more of Daniel when they bring in his brother (Voodoo) :sweat:.

Curious to see what Infinity War content will be ready to show in the featurette and how much they'll be allowed to tease that we don't already know about...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Tony Todd was going to be the voice of Dormammu. Did a 6 hour voice session then 2 weeks before the release they told him the bad news.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, ordinarily I'd totally be down for Tony Todd as Dormammu, maybe he's better off for not voicing another CGI cloud monster :sweat:.

• Funny Funny x 1