1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Doom Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Greg91, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Legion showrunner Noah Hawley announced that he's working on a Doctor Doom movie at the end of the Legion panel.

Considering how good Legion is, I think this movie could be in good hands, but this announcement as a whole has been a huge surprise. I don't know what to think really.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm extremely mixed on this. On one hand Fox has screwed Doom twice. On the other hand, Noah created two of the best shows currently on cable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm in total shock. But Hawley, yeah, it's in good hands.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just find it kind of funny to see Fox going ahead with a Doom solo after how much they've screwed him up by this point :rolleyes2:.

That being said, Hawley developing this is a good sign, though I wonder what this will mean for the FF as a whole o_O.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd hand FF over to him, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could only imagine what the FF would look like under him :p.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Don't see that happening when it'll probably mean he'd have to work with the same difficult people as Fan4stic, plus I'm out a point where I won't take anything FF related until the comic is back.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a joke thread when I saw the title. :p

But they do have a very talented dude working on it...huh. I want to believe this can be good (Doom is one of my favorite Marvel villains)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

You do realise some of the problems from Fant4stic are actually Trank's fault? He was the one who told the cast not to read the source material and actually was a jerk during production plus the producers did try their best to salvage the film after he was not welcomed back during the reshoots due to his behaviour on the film, but it turned out to be a complete atrocity.

Plus, the crew behind the film have done better with the X-Men films and given that Noah Hawley is involved and has done two great TV shows with Fargo and Legion, this could actually turn out to be a good film if it doesn't end up like Fant4stic. Keep in mind that the film was one of the last projects approved during Tom Rothman's time as president of 20th Century Fox.

That being said, I have no plans on seeing it for same reason why I have no plans on seeing Sony's non-MCU Spider-Man films Venom and Silver and Black because I still want the Fantastic Four film rights to revert back to Marvel (given my displeasure of Fant4stic, though Kevin Feige has said that there are no plans to have them appearing in the MCU) and Marvel Studios to have full control of the Spider-Man film rights than sharing it with Sony (though I liked Homecoming, I feel that Sony's time with the film rights has to an end, given that they did a stupid mistake by turning the Amazing Spider-Man series into their own MCU with garbage ideas [Clone Saga? Reviving the dead with Peter's blood in ASM3? Give me a break!] plus Tom Rothman is now in charge of Sony) and that the last Sony Marvel film (aside from sequels to Homecoming since I'll still watch them as they're part of the MCU not as they are co-productions of Sony) I will watch is the upcoming Spider-Man film.

The only non-MCU Marvel franchise that I'll continue seeing films will be the X-Men Cinematic Universe, given that I can't wait to see New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and X-Men: Dark Phoenix, especially the latter because I hope Fox doesn't mess up The Dark Phoenix Saga like they did with The Last Stand.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #9 AdrenalineRush1996, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  10. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Hmmm there are some definite positives and negatives with this news.

Positives: If there's any character that needs a reboot more then the Fantastic Four it is their mortal nemesis. As even the defenders who claim the Tim Story Fantastic Four films are... okay and that Josh Trank's Fan4stic isn't the worst comic book movie ever, absolutely DESPISE what was done with Victor Von Doom. Who yeah is the 4's chief nemesis but has a very lengthy backstory and mythos that honestly even more then someone like Venom could actually fill his own movie without another super hero. Doctor Doom may not have super powers but he is an expert at utilizing the greatest kinds of sorcery and technology to be regarded as one of the greatest villains in the entire Marvel Universe, but one who rules his entire country and can't even be dealt with like most other baddies. These are aspects that the FF movies haven't touched on and honestly having his own feature would free up other FF movies from using the same antagonist again. Because there's the catch 22 of "We want to make another Fantastic Four movie and we want to do something different... but Doom is their greatest enemy that has never properly been justice on the big screen" that having his own movie would solve. Not to mention that since this is actually in the hands of someone who has done work on Marvel characters before that people appreciate, would get the crew more then someone like Trank who clearly had his own twisted vision of what the series would be like.

Negatives: There's a distinct possibility this could still be related to the Fantastic Four just to keep the rights up even if it's not their story and that would be very annoying to see if this is suppose to be just a Doctor Doom movie. Even ignoring that or ignoring the fact that this would still mean main Marvel would not get the rights back to anyone in the FF universe for even longer, there is still a grandiose feel and purpose for the character that goes even beyond Legion. Noah Hawley is still not entirely tested and granted most major directors nowadays can actually make the transition from TV and smaller indie films to big tentpole blockbuster films but there are still some that can't. Not to mention unless you had Doom dealing with a greater evil invading his land it's hard to picture exactly what sort of force he would be opposing in his own film as it can't or at least shouldn't be the FF themselves. Plus you need an actor who can really commit not only to being in the mask of Doom but still have his ego and attitude which are traits that are harder and harder to find nowadays.

I honestly really do think FOX should just let Marvel have all the rights back to the FF personally but at least this is a different sort of gamble and depending on it shapes up I'm game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think Hawley would be that obvious or quick in the casting, but maybe he'll be the out-of-the-box pick for Boris :p?

• Like Like x 1