Do you think that CGI animation will lose its popularity in the future?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Rabbitearsblog, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Rabbitearsblog

There has been a lot of talk about 2D animation possibly disappearing from the movie market, but what about CGI animation? What happens if CGI animation becomes less popular in the future? Does that mean that another brand of animation will be made or will that mean that the animation companies will go back to an older animation, such as 2D animation or stop motion animation?

2. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

Saying CGI animation could potentially be on its way out is like saying animation itself could potentially be on its way out. In that case, it's not the medium itself that's the problem but the way in which it's used.

Hollywood's current homogenous, assembly-line style of animated filmmaking may one day collapse on itself because the industry's sheer size may give way to a lack of innovation and tepid competition. But computer animation as a process is technically limitless; it's brutally efficient and capable of a number of different styles, including imitating other animation styles. It's driven other animation methods the way of the steam locomotive. Going back to the way things were may be great for purists, hobbyists, and arthouse/indie projects, but CGI animation is worth far more than anyone, including its biggest users, give it credit for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rabbitearsblog

I agree that there's so much more you can do with computer animation, especially try to use different styles to the CGI animation process besides the same styles we keep on seeing with most CGI animated movies. If they tried different styles with CGI animation, like giving a 2D aesthetic to the Peanuts Movie, then there would be more room to try out different styles of animation using CGI.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dijeirusan

Dijeirusan New Member

I don't see it going anywhere. Audiences generally prefer it and it is more cost effective. Plus it's evolving every day and doing new things. Pingu In The City and the new Mooninvalley show have amazing CGI.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree with what Gear3dGryph0n says.

They’ll more likely make CG films that look like 2D or another animation style, than abandon CG altogether. I’ve seen plenty of animated shorts from around the world that shows that CG is capable of so many different styles. Flushed Away was able to mimic Aardman’s stop motion animation style, as do the Lego movies. You can make cartoony looking animation like seen by Hotel Transylvania, Captain Underpants, and the Peanuts Movie.
    The demand for 2D animation to return is not as strong as fans online think it is, because general audiences don’t care. Plus CG has production benefits that 2D animation doesn’t have. It’s easier to produce as various details can be changed and altered easier even late into production. You don’t have to worry about making sure the characters are perfectly on model at various angles or worry about consistency of volume creating the illusion of three dimensional space.
    If CG animation popularity declines, they’ll just experiment with different visual styles to change things up, and see what people are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Dudley is right (as usual :p )
    Just compare these pictures. They're all humans but the styles are completely different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Well, as much as I support for bring back 2d animation in theaters, but I don't think CGI is going anywhere anytime soon. However, if they can use CGI to mimic 2d animation like they did in The Peanuts Movie or Sergio Pablos's upcoming Klaus, then maybe there's a chance for other studios to do the same. I don't know how successful is The Peanuts Movie, but it looks like a step up to make cgi to be in 2d form. Even if CGI is in trouble, there'll always be experiments to make CGI different.

#7 TsWade2, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM
  8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, Klaus is 2D animated, made to look like CG. After coloring is applied, animators draw in multiple layers of shading and lighting, and throw them into After Effects where they add a bunch of filters and effects .
    Granted, that’s probably not exactly what they do, but it’s basically what can be done to get the same effect.
    Though it looks neat, its a lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Sorry, forgot about that. As much as I'm excited for Klaus, but the only question is, will it work?

10. Rabbitearsblog

I'm interested in seeing how Klaus will play out and whether it will be successful enough for 2D animation to make a comeback in the movie.

I agree that they are probably going to do something different with CGI animation since that's the next stage in animation and I'm hoping to see more movies like the Peanuts Movie that would try to mix 2D animation with CGI animation, which I think is what's needed in the movie market regarding animation.

11. chunkychief09

chunkychief09 Future animation scrub

Remember the Iron Giant? IMHO it's the best [non-Disney] animated film around, very underrated though.
    Everything was all done in 2D, except the giant, vehicles, and some props (like the missile) are toon-shaded CGI.

If possible and done without failure, we should have more 2D animated movies, with the exception of CG props (hybrid animation).
    This era of animation really took place between the late 90s and early 2000s. Just name the films - Osmosis Jones (animation is the best part of the film, it has those Iron Giant vibes; fudge the live-action portion), Treasure Island, and not many more.

I have a crapload of information on cel-shaded CG used for feature films and TV shows:
    https://www.toonboom.com/resources/tips-and-tricks/2d-3d-integration
    http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/1999/Volume-22-Issue-11-November1999-/TEN-TON-TOON.aspx
    https://anime.stackexchange.com/que...bjects-coincide-with-traditional-2d-animation
    http://what-when-how.com/hybrid-ani...nimation-integrating-2d-and-3d-assets-part-1/
    http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/Articles/3dani.dhtml
    http://www.animatormag.com/computer/cel-shading-hero-animation/