1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you still record on VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

For those interested, just a follow up on my VHS collection (which I posted about earlier in this thread):

I've started uploading various recordings to Youtube. Mostly old commercial breaks and news broadcasts. More stuff to come, from Kids WB, Fox Kids, Cartoon Network/Toonami, and the Sci-Fi Channel. And more news broadcasts.

So I recently tried to use my VCR to record parts of the Republican and Democrat conventions. And was thinking of using it to record the Olympics. But I can't seem to hook this VCR up to my current TV, for the purposes of recording over the air broadcasts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe I'll get it figured out eventually. Then again, maybe VCR's weren't meant to be used post-2009 (which is when TV broadcasts went digital).

So until I figure it out, I guess my last VHS recordings were from the Fall of 2005. Which is maybe how it was meant to be: a nostalgic thing of the past. :)

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

We still have a working VCR at our house. My parents did have to change things a bit after broadcasts went digital, but I'm not really sure what they did.

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Although I don't do it much anymore, it looks like I won't be recording on VHS tapes again after next Tuesday, as we're finally getting a DVR in my house. My parents have been meaning to switch internet providers from Verizon to Comcast because it keeps cutting out (probably because the router is old), and will be switching to their phone service as well to get their deal (we already get our cable through them). My parents have been holding it of for months, but after this month's internet bill, they had enough, and since we'll be on their deal that saves us money, my parents are finally willing to pay for a DVR. I am going to miss recording stuff on VHS tapes, but I am looking forward to finally having a DVR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Yea, DVR's are much better then VCR's. Clearer picture quality, not having to worry about the film getting caught in the VCR and all that jazz. It's the way of the future ! Trust me too, you will not miss your VCR when the quality is as good as you sitting down and watching your shows at it's normal start time.

If all the rest of you posters want to record without a VCR as a second option and upload anything just get a DVD recorder. Much easier and quicker to upload things.

#64 jfoley85, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Well the thing is, we as a society have adapted new ways. Analogue is a thing of the past now. People who grew up with it are still accustomed to it, but the future of the second generation won't give it a second thought as we are still moving in the digital age and someday to 4K. We see the move to 4K happening slightly now. 4 K is being offered by such things as Netflix, some TV Providers have it now (channels and receivers) and TV's can be sold with 4 K built in. Going back to analogue will never happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #66 jfoley85, Aug 22, 2016
  6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I think he means return as an enthusiast thing. Plenty of people collect vinyl these days but it hasn't replaced the mp3 entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Yes, some people still do collect vinyl but some day I can see it disappearing too. CD's are still being made, digital downloads are still popular. It's only a matter of when.

#68 jfoley85, Aug 22, 2016
  8. wonderfly

In case you hadn't heard, the last VCR manufacturer in Japan ceased making them last month.

I thought VCR's stopped being made years ago, but it's official: VCR's are now relics of the past. I'm still waiting for VHS tapes to join the vinyl records community, but from what I see, many entertainment stores don't carry VHS tapes anymore, or if they do have them, they're selling them dirt cheap on a back shelf (they're not viewed as "novelty" or "vintage" items yet, like vinyl records have become).

9. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Interesting ! I guess VHS Tapes will cease to exist. Not surprised, however.

When it comes to Vinyl I learned something interesting:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ilding-new-pressing-machines/article28507701/

10. wonderfly

This is just an update on my VHS collection:

So I came across a VHS tape labeled "Christmas play". And I'm like "Oh yeah, that's the Christmas play I was in back in the 3rd or 4th grade, back in the 80's". Sentimental to my parents, but it wasn't really at the top of my list of VHS tapes to review the contents.

I finally got around to plugging it in to the VCR and skimming through it. I wondered if there was anything on after the Christmas play. Much to my surprise, I found I had a copy of the television broadcast of "The Incredible Hulk Returns" recorded on here! That's the TV special where the Lou Ferrigno Hulk teams up with Thor. It's from 1988, with commercials! It's only the last half of the broadcast (I think we started to watch the first half and then I had to get to bed for school, so my parents recorded the 2nd half).

So that's from 1988. I then fast-forwarded onward, and next I found I had a television broadcast of "The Neverending Story" on here! It's from 1991, it was from a broadcast on Fox (which was in it's early years still at that point). There's advertisements for the Arsenio Hall show and some commercial breaks have quick news updates on the latest in the Persian Gulf War from that year.

The lesson here: don't just disregard a VHS tape going by what's written on it, go through and find what else might have been recorded!

11. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

^^^ Oh wow ! You should copy that to DVD if you can ! It's great to hold unto memories and shows that are no longer airing !

12. Lazer Eli

Lazer Eli ey b0ss

I want to experiment with a VHS camera someday.

It'll be cool.

13. Jean74

Jean74 Ready for Autumn

No as really been doing it on DVR. Thank goodness for those! VHS tapes are rare these days.

14. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I still use VHS.

15. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Speaking of buying old vhs tapes, does anyone buy those unmarked vhs tapes you sometimes see at thrift stores or yard sales? I picked up one such tape and it had Kim Possible: So the Drama (not that odd), followed by, of all things, a Gall Force movie taped off of Sci-Fi, followed by 15-20 minutes of Roujin Z (just the middle, the tape ended after that).

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. wonderfly

Strange that the Kim Possible stuff came first, that's from 2005, whereas the Sci-Fi stuff sounds like it's from the annual anime film festival (circa 1996). I guess Kim Possible got recorded over some older stuff...

17. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

To be honest, it wasnt exactly unmarked, as there was a label on it that also stated that Fatal Fury and Uresei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer were on the tape, which must have gotten taped over for the KP movie.

EDIT: Looking through the tape right now, and ther's also an ep of My Gym Partner's a Monkey on after the KP movie (which seems to be a later airing, as there are Phineas and Ferb promos on the KP movie).

#78 Zorak Masaki, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  18. chunkychief09

chunkychief09 The Rookie

Last time I recorded on VHS was early 2013. I was taping The Three Stooges Stooge Years Day marathon that came on Antenna TV.

Now I just have the ultimate collection DVD box set. It's worth it to any Three Stooges fan.