1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you still record on VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Just seeing this now myself, so I guess I'll post too. I still record on VHS tapes because my parents don't want to pay for a DVR. Otherwise I'd use that, but I don't have any issues with VHS tapes.

2. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Another reason I like recording on VHS is that you are still able to get T-180's that allow for 3-hours in SP mode in either VHS or S-VHS-ET (and through EBay I was just able to get some BASF ST-180 S-VHS tapes to use for Digital recording this year). With the local cable company, when I do hockey games I'm shooting for, on average, 2.5 hours, possible longer. And this is fast-paced action that I'm shooting, and DVD's I find can only record decent video for 2-hours Max at about 4.5Mbps VBR. Of course I have recorded the games to DVD in LP mode, but that reduces quality (about 3.5-4.0 Mbps and leaves me with extremely pixelated video (my DVD recorder doesn't have a mid-way between SP and LP) that looks about as good as a VHS recorded on LP. With a T-180 at least I can get 3 hours at the SP mode in VHS quality, or with my HM-DH30k I can bump it up to S-VHS quality. And using True S-VHS T-180's I can record the signal digitally at a 28.8Mbps CBR, or even in D-VHS's STD mode (equivalent to analog S-VHS or VHS at LP) at 14.4 Mbps.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I have the means to and am willing to do so, but for quite some time now I haven't really found anything that I really want to record on tape.

Anything I want to catch is either uploaded to legit company's site or on-demand.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

This was me a year ago:

So, anyway...

I FOUND MY TAPES!! I FOUND MY FREAKING VHS TAPES!!!

I was over at my parent's house yesterday, and dad says "By the way, we went through the shed today. I've loaded up a bunch of boxes into the back of the truck, it's your stuff, I'll be bringing it over tomorrow." And then mom says "It's a bunch of VHS tapes and comic books."

I said "VHS tapes?!?!" and I ran out to go through the boxes. It's them. I've got full sets of Fox Kids, Kids WB, Toonami, and Adult Swim shows. Stuff from the mid to late 90's up till 2003 or 2004. Some stuff with commercials and bumpers, some just the episodes themselves. Stuff like Samurai Jack, Batman Beyond, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Thundercats, Voltron (the early Toonami years), Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000, (from both Comedy Central era and from Sci-Fi era)....plus recordings of the 2000 Presidential election coverage and coverage of the September 11th attacks. And besides all the TV recordings, there's a bunch of anime on VHS.

I rushed back in and said "Dad, I've been looking for those for over 10 years!!" He said "Oh. Well...they've been back in the storage shed. " I said "I've searched the storage shed in years past, I never saw them!!" He's like "Well, they were in a far back corner."

I took a couple of boxes of VHS tapes home to start sorting through. The rest will be arriving soon.

The only problem is...I no longer have a VHS player. Also, dad said he wasn't sure if they would work, having been exposed to hot summers and cold winters while in the storage shed. But one thing at a time...I going to hunt down a VCR player.

#44 wonderfly, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  5. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

Nope! Hell, I don't even own a VCR. [​IMG]

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

They'll work. Get 'em converted to digital so you can watch them anywhere! I believe I recently posted about my experiences with that.

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Wow, sounds like quite the collection!

8. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

My father used some software to convert old family VHS tapes back in 2012.

Nice collection you have, @wonderfly!

9. wonderfly

Excuse me if this comes off a little blog-ish, but after finding my previously lost VHS collection, I've gone through and done an inventory of what I have. I figured I'd share:

EDIT: Figured it would help if I condense the list by using spoiler tags. Click on the spoilers over the next 3 posts for all the details.

#49 wonderfly, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. wonderfly

Continued (my collection list):

#50 wonderfly, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. wonderfly

Continued (My collection list):

Again, sorry this was a bit blog-ish, but I was fascinated going through all this...

#51 wonderfly, May 12, 2016
  12. 2-D chirox

2-D chirox Active Member

You can't anymore. Analog TV has been shut down in the UK so you can't use VHS tapes to record stuff anymore. Although I did that a lot growing up and still have those tapes around my house.

13. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

I used to, My dad recently found a couple VHS tapes, Most of the older stuff I had has been recorded over (I started recording in 2005 and stopped in 2011-2012 in favor getting a DVR and still do, and now do DVD recording too) the stuff I have on VHS are old Maryoku Yummy episodes recorded from the former Hub Network back in 2011, I think from 2011 anyways, I'll have to go through them if they are or not. here's the stuff I have on DVD though.
    PB&J Otter: All 66 episodes from Disney Junior airings back in 2012
    Rolie Polie Olie: Only have some of the episodes of the show, back in 2014.
    Stanley: Again, only some of the episodes from Disney Junior airings back in 2012-2013, If I'm not mistaken
    The Little Mermaid: Almost every episode of the show (only 1 I didn't record, and that's only because the Disney Junior didn't air it) I recorded from my Disney Junior airings back in 2014.
    Steven Universe: Have some original Season 1 airings from Cartoon Network back from 2013.
    Mickey Mouse shorts: Every Season 1 episode back in 2013.
    Christmas Specials: I have Frosty The Snowman, Frosty Returns, A Christmas Story (The HB one), I could've sworn I had Rudolph recorded so I'll have to check my DVDs to be sure. and I think I have Frosty's Winter Wonderland.

and that's the best I can name on the top of my head, If I'm talking about my DVD recordings.

14. wonderfly

I posted this above in regards to my "Anime on VHS" collection:

UPDATE: Over the last week, I went to several of the "used video games/used DVD/used VHS" stores that I used to frequent years ago. I guess I was looking to buy back some of my old "Anime on VHS" collection. The problem: THEY DON'T CARRY ANY VHS TAPES ANYMORE. VHS HAS BEEN PHASED OUT. I've even gone to pawn shops, and what selection of VHS tapes they do have is pitifully small.

That's just...ugh. It's strange that they'll keep old Nintendo and Super Nintendo cartridges, but VHS tapes have become obsolete. I guess there's not a market for those yet. Which means if I did want to buy anime on VHS, I'd be stuck buying from Ebay or Craigslist...and I don't know if I want to bother with that. Ah well.

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Too bad you don't live here. Every antique store, flea market and independent music shop has old worn VHSes somewhere in them. I've seen anime.

16. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Here in Portugal, some of those self-titled "Chinese stores" were reported selling a handful of VHS tapes for recording content, there aren't any VHS tapes for sale.

17. ShayL

ShayL New Member

I still occasionally record things from television. I used to record a lot of stuff as a kid and I wish I held onto some of it. I guess it's about time I wrote this stuff down even though there are some tapes missing that I had as a little kid. I decided to copy @wonderfly and make a list of what's on my tapes. Off the top of my head here is everything I recorded over the years:

-A couple of tapes of Inuyasha from Adult Swim. I started getting into this show when I was about thirteen or fifteen.I can't remember the exact year of my tapes. I thought I made four volumes but apparently volume 2 somehow went missing so now I only have three tapes left. I don't have every episode on VHS which I guess doesn't matter because I have all the DVDS except for season 4. I really wish I recorded more because I saw youtube promos from when Adult Swim showed the movies but there was no way I could have stayed up that late.

-Charmed on TNT (this was back when it was on around 5 in the afternoon. I seem to have one tape missing because I know I had a tape with some season 4 reruns and probably other seasons as well.)

-Dexter's President's Day Marathon from Cartoon Network (For some reason I went over a bit of the beginning later so it actually starts with part of the 2003 Disney Channel Movie "Cheetah Girls". It was a total mistake but there's still some Dexter on there.)

-I have three more tapes with random episodes of Dexter's Laboratory. The year is unknown but I'll say early 2000s maybe. At least one of the tapes is from the time when Cartoon Network had it's Primetime block. I think another one of them is from the days of Cartoon Olio since I remember that being in the one of the commercials I left in. Also on one of my tapes besides Dexter there is a marathon of Courage the Cowardly Dog. I think it was from the days of Camp Cartoon Cartoon.

-A couple of recorded tapes of the Powerpuff Girls. I believe most of the episodes are probably from seasons 5-6 but there are still older episodes on there.

-one tape of Invader Zim from Nicktoons Network. Year unknown. I believe that tape never got finished since I think there's some space left. I must have planned to come back to it at a later date but never did.

-one tape of early Fairly OddParents episodes. I don't remember the year I made that either or if I left in the commercials. I do know at least one of the episodes on there is "The Secret Origin of Denzel Crocker" and other earlier episodes that have slipped my mind.

-I used to have a few PBS recordings from when I was a little kid. All of that is gone now. However, the only things left that I kept from those days is one tape with a marathon of Wishbone and three other tapes with Shari Lewis and LambChop specials. I know on at least one of those tapes there is a random episode of Arthur that I don't remember getting recorded.

-Many tapes of Simpsons recordings from years ago. I have no idea how old these are. Most of if not all of the tapes have episodes of King of the Hill on it too. Some but not all also contain episodes of the PJS back when it was on Fox. As far as I know the commercials are only intact on maybe two or three, maybe four tapes. Off the top of my head the only clue as to their age (and this is only on one volume) is in a commercial for the 1998 X-Files movie. Also the first volume has a commercial for an old movie I never heard of called "Meet the Deedles".

-I have two more tapes of just PJS episodes from when it was syndicated on another channel. Well, I thought I had two.

-a short tape of Drake and Josh reruns from Nickelodeon. I planned to record more to fill up the entire tape but never got around to it. It says volume 3 and I could have sworn I had a volume 1 and 2 but I guess I either lost it or accidentally recorded over it. Now I wish I hadn't done that.

-As far as I know most likely the oldest tape I have is a recording of "The Muppets Take Manhattan". I think it was from the Disney Channel before it was all tween sitcoms. There's also the claymation movie "Meet the Raisins" on the same tape. (I don't know if I'm the only one who knows that movie but I remember loving it as a kid.)

-Two tapes of Kim Possible from the Disney Channel of the early 2000s most likely. I know one of them has the TV Movie "A Sitch in Time" on it.

-One tape of That's So Raven. I'm guessing it's from 2004.

-I also have a couple of recordings of South Park from Comedy Central. Don't ask why I have these. I was in 5th grade when I saw it on tv when I was just flipping channels. I was too young to get any of the jokes but I watched it anyway. I knew I wasn't supposed to be watching it so if I remember correctly I had my bedroom door closed and the volume down on the tv while I recorded it. For some reason I never got in trouble for watching it. As far as I know my mom never knew about the show until years later and I knew better than to repeat the bad stuff. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter much now because my mom likes the early seasons of the show (and that's the majority of the episodes on the tapes). It seems kind of pointless to keep them now since I have the DVDS but I keep them around because I miss the old Comedy Central logo that looked like a building.

-I think I had a tape lying around somewhere of Cartoon Network's Cartoon Theatre. Does anyone remember when it aired the three original Wallace and Gromit shorts? That was on there. The only thing was I think I accidentally recorded it at the wrong speed because the picture looked terrible last time I looked at the tape. I wish I figured that out back then and was somehow able to fix the picture but I probably can't. I don't know where that tape is anyway. I guess this tape is kind of pointless too since I have that Wallace and Gromit VHS boxset of the shorts. Still I wish I can try and figure out the year of the recording but since the picture is so messed up I probably won't be able to.

As for the missing tapes I don't remember everything that was on it as they are no longer in my possession. What I'm absolutely certain of though is that I had several PBS recordings from when I was real little with shows like Arthur and the Magic School Bus on it. I vaguely remember I had another Cartoon Network tape and for the life of me I cannot remember what was on it. Probably Tom and Jerry and other stuff that I no longer remember. Also for some reason I remember Animaniacs on a missing tape. The first episode I ever saw was De-Zanitized and the other two episodes that accompanied it. Now I'm starting to wish I never got rid of it. I guess like most people I thought VHS was obsolete like some other person in this thread mentioned. I have no idea what year it was recorded either so for all I know it could have had some rare stuff on it if there were any commercials on it at all.

-tapes of the Cosby Show from back when it was on Nick @ Nite. I don't know how old they are but I thought I saw an ad for Family Ties reruns on the commercials. I don't know if it ever aired on Nick @ Nite before.

-a tape of Seinfeld reruns from about 2004. One of the commercials was a promo for House M.D during it's first season. It's a short tape since I never got around to recording more.

-Recent Recordings: Episodes of Rugrats from the Splat that weren't put on those orange Nickelodeon VHS tapes, episodes of Family Ties from Antenna TV, and episodes of Kenan and Kel from MTV2 (with one episode from the Splat during a rare instance when the show aired on the block.)

That's all I can remember for now. I know I have more tapes downstairs but don't feel like looking for them right now. I had no idea there were some people who still recorded on VHS. I was beginning to think I was the only one that still owned a VCR. I'm very nostalgic about VHS and if some shows I wish I had recorded years ago were still in reruns I would definitely make more tapes.

I'm going to bed now but I'll see if I can remember anything else tomorrow.

#57 ShayL, Jun 6, 2016
  18. wonderfly

Thanks for sharing. You're right about how the networks don't show reruns anymore (because, in their mind, it's all on Netflix or Hulu now) but they should air some of that old stuff somewhere on TV.

I figured I'd share an update (and I've edited the posts above):

I see I didn't list "Inuyasha" in my list above. An accidental oversight on my part, but I have the first 50 (or so) episodes on VHS, recorded from the Adult Swim broadcasts, spread over 3 VHS tapes. Those are from 2002-2003. When new episodes came back in 2004, I missed out, so that's where my Inuyasha collection ends.

Also: I did find that I still had the Toonami "Midnight Run: Special Edition" broadcast. It's from the rebroadcast in November 2001, it's at the end of the "Gundam: The 08th MS Team" tape. I knew it was at the end of one of those tapes...

Also, I listed that I had Episode 1-28 of "Dragon Ball Z", but a closer look (accompanied by a "DOH!" from me) shows those were episodes 1-28 of Dragon Ball. No "Z". These are from the Toonami broadcasts.

I've updated my lists above. Still going through things.

19. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Not since 2008. I DVR everything now and DVD Recorders are the Second Best thing now.

20. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

The last tape recording I made was in 2009, it was a commercial my youngest brother really loved watching during the time.