1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you still record on VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, no. I used to all the time, though. But now I use my PC to do it. It's still a crapshoot, though, because the local cable monopoly doesn't give very many channels that I would watch (these days I buy what I'm really interested in via DVD or itunes, and use the PC to record things like Cold Case or SVU that will never be released or are too expensive to buy).

2. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

I no longer record with VHS tapes but I do play the ones I have. A majority of the movies I own are on VHS and I still have 2 VHS players in my house. Most of my Disney movies are on VHS (the Masterpiece Collection series) and a handful of other films. I have the 1995 release of Star Wars (the supposed last release of the original unaltered trilogy) and whenever I watch episodes 4,5 and 6 I usually go to those. I do have tons of DVD's and a few movies and shows on Blu-ray, but I will never get rid of my VHS tapes and I will still watch them.

I have replaced a few of my movies on VHS with DVD versions. Not all of them, but a few. I figure if I have the movie or show on some format then there really isn't a sense to keep buying them over and over again on different formats. At some point I just say screw it. All they want is the money anyway and they try to get you to keep buying what you own by throwing extra footage or bonus features at you. I really just want the movie or show in the end.

3. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

I have 2 big boxes full of VHS tapes from old Toonami, Adult Swim, Kids WB, FoxBox etc recordings that I hope to be able to go thru and digitize in the next year. I plan to upload good stuff to my youtube account.

4. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Not since I got my DVR, although in some cases, it's the only way to get the mono tracks for some movies which the moronic studios have omitted them from on DVD. On the other hand, I have some stuff on my DVR and this far, with the exception of a VCR, I haven't been able to figure out any way to get it off, certainly not in HD, and I really want to, since it's not available on DVD.

5. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

I grew up all through the '90s, so I still record using VHS tapes on an old VCR. I'm not all that old-fashioned; I do want to learn to record TV shows using DVDs, but I never figured out how to do that. In fact, I have a Magnavox DVD/VCR combo (model ZV427MG9), but I only use it to watch VHS tapes. I currently own an Apex 19" HDTV. I have no idea what equipment I need (Tuners?) so I can record on DVDs.

6. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

I don't think I recorded anything aside from some stuff from NatGeo in 2005, while I don't record (I might start again since TWC's DVR space is very limited) I still use my VCR to watch tapes (in fact, it's a VCR/DVD Player combo thing).

7. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

I got a DVR in 2005 and never looked back. Better picture and no more "tracking" issues like VHS had.
    I used my DVR so much the hard drive was beginning to wear out.
    I just got a new DVR this year. Hopefully it will last for a while.

8. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

Personal reasons.

9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

^Oookayyy...

I haven't used a VCR since 2004. I have a ton of old video tapes with original airings of stuff like classic Simpsons, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Animaniacs, Dexter's Lab, Ren and Stimpy and Beavis and Butt-head...but I never have time to go through any of it.

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

This. Like Goldstar mentioned back on page 1, we used to keep our old VCR hooked up to watch some tapes like the MST3K Shorts volumes, but we dropped it eventually due to the hassle of toggling between devices. I personally was done with VHS the second we got a DVR and I discovered digital streaming and downloading.

11. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre James Earl Jones

I bought a DVD recorder in 2004 and a DVR a year later. Converted most of my recorded VHS and threw them out, keeping just old home movies and a few commercial releases.

12. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

I want a DVD recorder or a capture card so bad....

13. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I don't think a DVR is THAT expensive. I think we pay like $15 a month for our DVR. If we didn't have a DVR in our living room, the cable box that would be in our living room would be like $8 a month. For all of the recording me, my wife, and stepson do, it's EASILY worth the extra $7 per month.

What provider do you have? I've got Comcast so our DVR just goes through the normal cable line.

To answer the question at hand, I very very rarely tape something onto VHS any more. I pretty much stopped regularly recording onto VHS in 2009 when the 4Kids Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles series came to an end. I wanted the episodes to have to watch whenever I want should the episode not end up getting released on DVD. It was definitely worth it to record the Back To The Sewer season as it never made its way to dvd.

14. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I just stopped recording on VHS last year, since that was when I got a DVD Recorder. I also record stuff to the DVR before I record the stuff from the DVR to DVD. I've been recording things since the mid-1990's.

15. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Not in the US anyway.

I got a new job at the tail end of March, and I've got half a mind to get a DVD recorder next month.

16. Ulrik Raben

Ulrik Raben Member

I still use VHS tapes.

17. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

DVRs aren't that expensive. I bought mine from Best Buy for about $60. Of course, you could always do a DVR service with your cable/satellite company. They'll just add the service to your bill.

18. Ty0005

Ty0005 Member

Nah, I use my dvr for the most part if I want to record stuff. I used to record everything on vhs though. I did recently find a huge box of Toonami Broadcast recordings in my parents garage. I've been digitizing them to my computer after I had them put on dvd. I spent many a day recording of VHS.

19. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Probably the last VHS tape I messed with was around 2004. I had a DVD player by this point, but still enjoyed recording and watching stuff on VHS. But in early 2004, I had moved in with my parents, and was still trying to record shows on Cartoon Network (specifically Teen Titans). Having to share a TV with relatives can prove a hassle, and I ended up missing an episode or two, and I quickly realized: "Recording stuff on VHS is now too bothersome - I'll just wait till it all comes out on DVD". And that was the end of an era, for me.

Never did get caught up on Teen Titans after halfway through the 2nd season...

#39 wonderfly, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  20. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Just saw this thread. I have used DVR's, but one problem with them is space issues---when you have recordings that you want to keep, over time, no matter how big or how much extra room you add, you'll still use up hard disk space---and if the hard disk ever fails, or you upgrade to a newer model, well you're out of luck. So I still use VHS to do a lot of recording. Of course when it's stuff I want to keep, such as the hockey games or city council's I shoot for the local cable company, I record them to D-VHS or S-VHS. I did record to DVD for a number of years, and I still record what I shoot with cable to DVD to have that option, but I upgraded to D-VHS because of a couple of reasons:
    1. The newer DVD recorders can only record from composite sources, unless you have an external converter to convert S-Video or Component to DV and record the signal off FireWire. But going from composite, I find the recorders only make decent video that is acceptable when played back by composite. Otherwise by S-Video and higher the images having high saturation levels and bleeding colours.

2. If you forget to close the disc then you might as well forget about the recordings if you try to play the disc on another machine, or if your DVD recorder calls it quits in the middle of finalizing a disc, then forget it. VHS and it's descendant's you don't need to worry about that. If they tape is only half full then you can still play it in another VCR.

3. Longevity. In recent years I've had a number of DVD's that I had recorded only 10 years ago, or even purchased since 2001, and have watched on various machines since then, go corrupt. But I've still got VHS tapes that my parent's bought me in the 80's that still play fine even 30 years later.