1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you still record on VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

Just asking...

I tape Regular Show and Steven Universe. Plus some other shows.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I haven't used VHS since I bought a DVR a couple of years ago. I used to watch a few things on VHS, but having 3 entertainment devices hooked to up to one another and constantly toggling between them was too much of a hassle, and I'm incredibly lazy. I still have my VHS collection of MST3K: The Shorts, but most of those I can find elsewhere.

3. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I don't think I've ever had VHS tapes to record something. And I probably won't do it anytime soon, since my VHS player broke years ago.

4. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

I do.

Since last year, I taped Looney Tunes. I even taped episodes of shows on Boomerang like Tom & Jerry Kids and The Addams Family (1992).

It's a good thing I still have my VCR at home 'cause DVR costs way too much.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I don't do VHS recordings since 2007.

6. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

I think I've used my VCR (altogether, not recording) a grand total of once in the last ten (possibly more) years, if that gives you an idea. lol

I recorded lots of shows when I was little, but in my recent cleaning I have thrown a lot of the tapes away.

7. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Anything interesting on those? You should've digitized them, or at least sold them.

8. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

Not really... I mostly remember them being Cartoon Cartoon Fridays from maybe the very late 90s and early 00s.

Digitized? I had no idea you could even do that... It would be far too complicated for somebody like me anyway. lol

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's not practical for me anymore. In fact, I'm not even sure how that would work now with cable the way it is. I keep a VCR around only so I have the option to see something I really want to and there is no other way.

10. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Let me eleborate on my blank VHS collection.

I have:
    Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (taped from IFC)
    A few other movies (Inspector Gadget from CN, two Pokemon movies (slightly glitched all the way through, etc.)
    Some Pokemon episodes from Boomerang (slightly glitched)
    All Steven Universe episodes so far
    Most of the T.U.F.F. Puppy episodes
    Most of the Regular Show episodes (some with commercials)
    Some N64 footage
    A few Space Dandy episodes
    Some [adult swim] from 2014
    Some Christmas specials (2011, 2013)
    A few Twilight Zone episodes from a marathon (taped over 2012 Christmas specials)
    And even more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I still do. A week or two ago I taped a Lifetime TV-movie rerun: Girl Fight.

12. Kung-Fu Yoshi

You taped it for the camp value, right? Or was it something else?

13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I barely even use my dvd player anymore, much less my vcrs. I just hope they still work...

14. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I usually only record for something i want to keep on a permanent tape. Last thing i taped though was the Phineas and Ferb movie, and that was way back in 2011

15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I haven't recorded anything for a long, long time. The last thing I remember recording something that I wanted to keep was the Ed Edd n Eddy movie in 2009 and that was on DVD. Our DVD recorded broke shortly after that. I do remember recording Big Bang Theory a couple of times on VHS because I was swimming around 2010-ish.

16. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

You should have saved them. There's a tape-trading community online that would value something like that. The process of "digitizing" involves buying an $80 gizmo from Best Buy, hooking your VCR up to your computer and hitting play.

I quit using VHS in 2005 when I bought a DVD-R recorder and started saving shows on disc instead. Then when I had too many discs, in 2011 I bought an antenna that hooks up to my desktop computer and now I record shows on that, then transfer them to a hard drive, then play them on the TV through one of the USB ports. I also converted all my discs to MP4 files so I can access nearly everything I've ever taped in the last 20 years through one menu.

Like I said, there is VALUE in old, uncut recordings of television. I find them fascinating, personally. I don't use DVR because I wouldn't be able to preserve the stuff I record.

My parents still use VHS to this day.

17. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I never got a DVR because it creeped me out that they want it to hook up to the phone.

I'm tempted to record something every now and then, but the tuner is obsolete. I'd have to rearrange the wires and set it up manually. It's gotten too inconvenient.
    I've got a lot of old movies on tape so it's still worth having around.

This is another reason I feel like the rest of the world is advancing but I'm regressing back to the 70's. It's not all bad. There was some nice southern rock back in the 70's.

18. Dixie_Chick89

Dixie_Chick89 Clemont fan

Yeah, I do.

I just taped the newest Pokemon episode this morning. I've also recorded some Steven Universe eps, but gotten kinda lazy on that lately.

19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

...Say what? Who's "they", and why makes it so creepy?

As for me, the last time I've recorded to VHS was when I had to replace my DVR-equipped cable box a few months ago for crapping out. I had to do the same thing last year, but that was a standard definition cable box that I had before I got an HDTV and an HD cable box (also equipped with DVR) in June that year. Anyway, it was just a few shows that I wanted to record, but not keep. Like last year, it was a CSI episode. I always need to look at them more than once to make sure I understand them fully.

I might end up recording shows like Digimon Fusion to VHS in case no season set comes out for them. Until then, I'm going to see about getting a DVD recorder before the year ends.

20. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I haven't used a VCR in years since our last one broke, which is a shame because I'd really like to know if I recorded anything rare/old on my old VHS tapes as a kid. I know I have the full Magic Bullet informercial on one.