1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you sell (or trade in) your old gaming systems, or keep them?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Jan 23, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

At a sports blog that I read elsewhere online, I read an "off topic" post where a guy said he just finished selling his PS4 and Wii U, so that he now has money to buy a Nintendo Switch.

So that got me to thinking: Toonzone members, do you trade in your old systems when the latest one comes out? Or are you a "preserver of game consoles", always keeping your old game systems?

And if you are a "preserver of game consoles", how many old game systems do you have?

Personally, I kept my original NES from the late 80's, up until the early to mid 00's. I sold it at some point because I reached a point where I couldn't see me playing it much longer (I had an X-Box by that point). I also had a Super Nintendo (starting in 1992) but I can't remember what happened to it...I think it disappeared in moving, sometime in the late 90's.

Since then, my X-Box broke down around 2009 (and I sold it cheap, because it was broken), and I was out of "game console ownership" until 2013, when I got a Wii U (and in 2015 I bought a PS4). Now I'm kicking myself for selling my original NES, in retrospect.

What about you guys, do you keep or sell your old systems?

#1 wonderfly, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

I've had a PS1, PS2, GBA, PSP, and PS3 and I think an SNES at one point. I am currently using the PSP and my brother the PS3 (he has a 360 too), which he had to update to the slim version after the original died. Still have the GBA, not sure where the PS1/SNES went, but I got a lot of use out of the PS2, which I also had to update to the slim for some reason. That one might be in a box somewhere, but I'm hoping to find it since the newer PS3s can't play PS2 games like the original could.

Lately I've come to realize that buying new systems and games is a waste of money for me since there are so many great old games out there you can play and all the new ones will become old eventually anyway, so why not just wait and see which games are worth playing after the next generations begin?

3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Keep. Backwards compatibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I've tended to hoard, but that may not be the case for much longer. I have a "fat" PS3 with a 640gb hard drive installed, a PS4, and a Wii U all hooked up to a TV. Something will have to go in storage or go away eventually.

I also have a very well worn Gameboy Advance + cartridges that have gone totally unused for years. There's a point where you just have to step back and consider what you're realistically going to use.

In that sense, I've come to understand why people trade in games. Selling stuff off can be a shore, and value goes down quickly. Trading in is simple and quick method to free space. Some things you'll absolutely want to go back to, but very often if you've done a game demanding meaningful time investment once or twice you're probably done. I have a lot of games that just sit on the shelf now, and I'm working up to trimming down. Games are meant to be played, right?

Honestly, I'd almost consider shedding my 3DS......except I need that for Fire Emblem, which is the franchise I care about the most. Soooo.

5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I keep mine, mostly because I can still play on them in other rooms of the house, and also because they never bring in as much value for trade as they would from the use I can get in those other rooms. Make any sense?

That being said, not all of mine are still hooked up. I do like being able to say I have them, though. Good luck to whoever cleans out my stuff at the end, hope you get something (or some enjoyment) from them. :D

I have to date: NES, SNES (my baby, being my first console and also one of the rarer SNES Jr/mini versions), N64, GC, Wii, Wii U (Zelda version), PSone (another Jr version, very tiny), 2 PS2s (one original "fat" version, and the slim white version), a 360, original GB, GB pocket, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, fat DS, DS lite (one broken gold Zelda version with a Triforce in the corner, and one black Pokemon Diamond/Pearl version with Dialga and Palkia on the front from Japan), and 3DS (ALBW version). I used to have the original xbox, but I gave it away.

If I had extra cash to throw around, I might track down a Gameboy Light and a Micro for the hell of it, just to say I had all the Gameboys. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I usually keep my games. The list of the old consoles I got are Snes, Gameboy Color, N64, Sega Genesis, PS1, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Ds. With the Snes and Xbox usually being the only consoles I regularly play with most of the time, while the rest I play from time to time only because I only have one or two games with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

Most of my gaming systems that I had is mostly Playstations, although I do have plans on getting some of older Nintendo and Sega systems just to add up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

So anyway, I found a new "mom and pop" video game store in town (they just opened up in December). Sure, they have the latest PS4 and X-Box One stuff (and they will have the Nintendo "Switch"), but they specialize in retro gaming systems, with prices much cheaper then I've seen elsewhere.

They've got everything from an old Pong system, to Atari, to every Sega, Nintendo, Playstation, and X-Box system. I even saw a Panasonic "3DO" for sale (from the mid 90's).

I went ahead and bought an original X-Box, as I still have a few X-Box games lying around in a closet.

May go ahead and buy a original Nintendo or Super Nintendo next, when I can scrounge up the money. Just to relive the old days. But the X-Box was cheap enough I went ahead and sprung for it.

9. cartoon_zone12

cartoon_zone12 New Member

I want ot keep it for myself or my son. Lets face it your atari or commodore game system will be valueable in 100 years . I know I will be dead but i will give it to my son so maybe he can make some money :) or yjust keep it for his son, it's up to him. I have few game "console" from 1982 nad another one is from 1978.

10. Cunning Condor

Cunning Condor Unfriendly Cartoonist

My personal rule is that I need to be able to name at least 6 games I want that can be played on the console I want. If for whatever reason I find myself with less than 6, I sell the console.

11. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

I still have my GameCube and Wii. I used to have a PS2, but my Mom gave it away less than a year ago. I'm thinking of getting a used Nintendo 64, PS1, and a Game Boy Advance SP system at a decent price.