1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ditch your DVDs if you upgrade to Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Splinter, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

I am about to buy the new Young Justice Blu-ray and I'm stuck on whether or not I should get rid of the DVD copies of these episodes I already have, and that got me wondering. If you upgrade a DVD to Blu, do you still keep your DVD? Given how many movies are released in Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, I tend to usually keep my older DVDs and just put them in the same case as the Blu if I can. I'm just not sure if I'll ever need to revisit those older DVDs again. What do you do?

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I want to. My problem is, used DVDs are next to worthless these days, so I wouldn't get much.

There was a discussion awhile back about a few websites that bought old DVDs from you, and some of the prices were fair. But I've forgotten what they were.

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've gotten rid of most when I've upgraded something to Blu-ray. Usually those discarded DVDs just pile up for awhile, then, rather than deal with the hassle of trying to sell them, I either pass them off to friends or put them in a box with other stuff that's destined for Goodwill. If I do keep a DVD, it's usually for purely nostalgic reasons, the fact they're part of a collection or, in a few cases, because they've been autographed.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

No. I don't buy Blu-ray by default (because it still isn't the default yet), and when I buy Blu-ray, it's films I consider worthy to have on the formant which are usually classics, personal favorites, or special effects heavy. As much as I love Jingle All The Way, is that a movie I really need to have on a high def format? My extended cut widescreen DVD will be good to last me my entire life. My next Blu-ray upgrade looks to be Ghostbusters 1 (again) & 2. I have the original 1999 DVDs, I've had them this long I might as well just hang on to them. So basically I buy DVDs by default. I'll only upgrade if I consider the film "worthy". If it's a recent theatrical release, I ask myself if it's "worthy" and decide there. I'll be buying Amazing Spider-Man 2 on DVD only, meanwhile Days Of Future Past is easily a Blu-ray buy first.

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I keep my steelbooks and others for their special features. Something like Indiana Jones boxset had altered special features on the rerelease. Other than that I take my time upgrading, cause half the time there just is no real difference from dvd to bd.

6. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Unless the DVD has features that the Blu-ray doesn't, I give up the DVD copy.

There are some Blu-rays I've bought that have all the special features that the DVD version has, and either the features are identical, or the Blu-ray has identical features and extra features that the DVD version lacks. However, the DVD just has a nice insert that I find worthy of keeping. In that case, I take the DVD version off of my shelf and put it away somewhere else.

I can understand people only upgrading to Blu-ray on just some of their movies, but I still don't mind upgrading all of my movies. In fact, I've already upgraded my movies to Blu-rays if they even have a Blu-ray version available. It's just that making adjustments on my Blu-ray player to make sure I get the whole picture of a DVD title on widescreen is kind of hectic, although it's easy for titles in 4:3 format.

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Generally, yeah. The only exceptions I can think of:
    -I have both the Complete Saga Blu-ray version of Return of the Jedi and the 2-disc DVD version from 2006, since the latter includes the original theatrical cut.
    -I've kept my Looney Tunes Golden Collections because not all the cartoons from those releases were released to Blu-ray.

8. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

So far the only DVDs I've upgraded to Blu-ray are my Supernatural and Yu Yu Hakusho seasons; I sold the Supernatural sets but have the old YYH singles collecting dust in my basement. When buying new discs now, only things I really like do I buy in Blu-ray. Otherwise, I save money and buy the DVD. Since my Blu-ray player plays both kinds of discs, upgrading is not a huge priority for me.

9. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Happy Easter!

Despite having a Blu-ray player, I still keep and buy alot of DVD's. They're far cheaper for my budget. Plus alot of shows I collect (largely anime) tend to be cheaper on DVD, or are out-of-print and can only be found on DVD.

10. Storm Eagle

Then under what circumstances do you buy anything on Blu-ray? Also, do you use your Blu-ray player mainly for streaming services?

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I try, but selling them only gets you peanuts. I save them until I have enough to meet the minimum quota and sell them in bulk, usually.

12. Storm Eagle

I just remembered I even sold my DVD player.

13. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Happy Easter!

During the odd occasion where it's cheaper than DVD, mostly online - I got Ghost in the Shell: SAC: Solid State Society and the Gundam 00 movie because of that. Other than that, mostly as presents for others.

As for my blu-ray player, I use it mostly to play DVDs.

14. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

I haven't switched to Blu-ray yet, but I wouldn't replace them unless if the DVD breaks or stops working or something. I would always replace broken VHS tapes with DVDs in the past.