1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we really need five 24-hour preschool channels?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by TheDaveMaybe, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker

In the United States, we have 5 24-hour preschool cable networks. 5! These networks are Disney Junior, Nick Jr., Sprout, Qubo, and BabyFirst. Isn't that a bit excessive? I'm not saying that none of these channels shouldn't exist, but do we really need 5? Isn't that a waste of money? How many 4-year-olds are up at 3 in the morning watching preschool shows?

2. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Well Sprout is turning into Universal Kids tomorrow, and qubo doesn't air just preschool based shows....so that's three.

• Like Like x 3
    #2 Nexonius, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

NickJr had the whole NickMom experiment but that didn't take off.

I really liked how Noggin was once setup. They had the kid stuff during the day, The N during later hours for teens and retro kid programming during the ungodly hours.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker

I agree. Noggin/The N had a good setup going. I kind of miss the old Noggin/The N now that I think about it

5. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

The actual Noggin wasn't even for preschoolers at first as it focused on an older audience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

About half of PBS's cartoon line-up is for preschoolers as well....

It is a bit much. How many "regular" cartoon channels are there, currently? I count five: Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Disney XD, Nick, Nicktoons

Is that correct?

7. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Qubo doesn't exclusively play preschool shows and Sprout is going to be rebooted into a general kids channel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Well most countries have Nick Jr and Disney Jr and another preschool channel from the state broadcaster so its not really that excessive for the size of the US. Like the UK has Disney Jr, Nick Jr, Nick Jr 2, Cartoonito, Tinypop and Cbeebies all catering to the preschool market ( as well as Baby First which is more for babies) And the US is 5X bigger than the UK. Australia also has Disney/Nick Jr, Cbeebies and ABC Kids for the preschool. Italy also has quite a few (more than US).

9. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Here in Portugal have the following:
    -Canal Panda (which used to be a "broader" kids channel)
    -Disney Junior
    -JimJam
    -BabyFirst
    -BabyTV
    -Tiji (in French)

Basically two localized channels, JimJam and the baby channels are foreign feeds with a Portuguese audio track. At best, one subscriber could get up to four of these channels, and the number of said channels is higher than the "normal" ones that are localized: Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Biggs and Cartoon Network. Also, over here, pre-school cartoons are more popular than "regular" cartoons.

10. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Italy has loads of kids channels- (Dea Junior, Dea Kids, Pop, Frisbee, Super!, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Disney Channel, Disney Jr, Disney XD, Jimjam, K2, Boing, Cartoonito, Rai Gulp, Rai Yoyo) (18)
    The UK has- (Cbeebies, CBBC, CITV, Pop, Pop Max, Tiny Pop, Nick Jr, Nick Jr 2, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, Disney Jr, Disney XD, Disney, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Cartoonito) (16)
    The US has fewer kids channels- (Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, Teenick, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Universal Kids, Qubo, Kids Central, Primo TV and PBS Kids) (14)
    How is there a market for 18 kids channels in Italy?

11. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Canal Panda airs All Hail King Julien, which isn't aimed at preschoolers at all.

12. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Not that many really. In Czechia there's CS Mini, JimJam, Minimax, Nick Jr., DuckTV, BabyTV (unlocalized), Disney Junior (unlocalized).

13. J10

J10 Member

In the MENA Region, there is 22 Kids Channels (Jeem, Baraem, CN Arabia, CN MENA, CN Hindi, Boomerang, JimJam, Discovery Family, DKids, be Junior, OSN Kidzone TV, MBC 3, Majid TV, Nat Geo Kids (Block on Majid), Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, Dreamworks, Baby TV, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior)

14. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I think that both Disney and Nick. Jr are good enough as Preschool channels along with the other ones, we really don't need that many since the variety among most of the channels are pretty good.

15. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

There's also Baby TV in the U.S. as well.

Also, Checkerboard, "Czechia"? I'm guessing by that, you mean the Czech Republic (does that name even exist)?