Do Some People To This Day Still Blame Teen Titans Go! For Causing Young Justice To Be Cancelled?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by GrantM, Mar 4, 2014.

1. GrantM

GrantM Active Member

Cause if so.....why?, as far as I know TTG had nothing to do with YJ getting cancelled at all. It was the lack of toy sales that killed the show. Also to those that say that TTG is a slap in the face to fans of the original series, get real. You should be lucky the show came back in some form at all. Why can't they just be happy with what they have

Oh and sorry for the negative tone but I just read the most recent Tooncrap blog and it's doing an award thing and TTG is one of the shows (TTG is described on the blog as "Cartoon Network pulls a double middle finger to fans of Teen Titans and Young Justice")

2. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 11/1/14

Things like that happen every two years. Whenever CN posts a major event on its FB page, you can just bet that the post will be plastered with "Save Young Justice/Green Lantern" replies. A year or two back posters were mourning the loss of SymBionic Titan and blaming it on the live-action programs.

Makes one wonder what show we'll be blaming when TTG or some other equally beloved CN show gets pulled?

Also, maybe everyone is so negative about TTG is because they're worried that because of the show's success, CN will order more comedy cartoons based on dumbed-down versions of DC superheroes.

"Funny and cheap" will win out over "Dark, moody and expensive" just about all the time....

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Technically speaking, Teen Titans GO isn't really a new form of the original series. There is no connection between the two series. I think most people get upset over it due to how the characters act. From the episodes I did see, most of the characters were unlikable and didn't even really act like superheroes if cases like Beatsboy leaving his friends to fight so he can be lazy and all of them dying while climbing up a mountain were any indication.

I'm not sure how many people actually blame the series for cancelling Young Justice. The lack of a toy line, along with the constant long breaks, pretty much sealed the show's fate regardless of what was coming up next.

4. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

People hate TTGo for a number of reasons:

1. It's a slap in the face to fans of the original Teen Titans. Not only does it ruin the image of the series, but it makes people forget the 2003 Teen Titans was actually a well done show

2. It tarnishes the comics. How many people think of Starfire and Beast Boy based on how they were in the cartoon rather in the comics? In the comics Starfire is a sex-kitten who is barely covered in her outfit. (Google image comic Starfire)

3. There is no action cartoon on the block now.

4. It makes me think CN prefers comedy over action.

5. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

2A. Questionable. I mean Avatar The Last Airbender is still well regarded and has had many sequel comics despite the poor performance of TLA film.
    2B. Can you honestly say that you enjoyed all Titan comics you've read (not being against a particular run or occasional issues)?

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Except that it's not the same show, the kids watching TTGO! aren't the same kids who watched TT: TAS back when it debuted in 2003, so they aren't comparing the new series to the original, and fans of Teen Titans: TAS still remember that show fondly. There are still fans requesting a 6th season of TT:TAS to this very day, so they haven't forgotten.

That has nothing to do with TTGO! The TT version of Starfire was noticeably different from the comics version. The majority of TT:TAS' fanbase haven't read a single issue of the comics. Heck, many of them were unaware that TT even was a series of comic books before it was a TV show. I don't like TTGO! either, but you can't blame the new show for that.

They do. It's because comedy cartoons get higher ratings on CN than action cartoons do and comedy cartoons are less expensive to produce. Granted, the network is at least partially to blame for this since they've been running the action cartoons only on Saturday mornings with little to no promotion and hardly any encore performances throughout the week.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  7. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

Most people don't read comic books anymore so that's not an issue. DC's best-selling books maybe move 100,000 copies on a good month.

8. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I thought comic sales increased since the New 52 branding.

9. Monte

Monte Active Member

Only for a short time. Sales spiked when the reboot happened as there was a lot of hype and interest from their existing fanbase, but the reboot brought on very few new readers(about 5% of the readers were new to comics)... About a year after the reboot, DC was basically right back where it was in terms of readership.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  10. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I remember when YJ was cancelled a lot of fans blamed TTG for it, but I think that died down a bit. Every time I saw it come up I saw someone else correcting them. So I think that's stopped in favour of just nostalgia fans hated on TTG for not being the old TT show, so the usual fan stuff with any of these comic book series.

I'm not sure how it ruins the 2003 series. Hell I think some fans are more fondly remembering the 2003 show now because of TTG, and also somehow forgetting it was a comedy show in favour of thinking of it as a "grim show full of serious stories!" So it might be ruining the image just by nostalgic fans forgetting how goofy the show was.

You could use the exact same argument for the 2003 show, right down to the "Starfire is a sex-kitten" part. Some comic fans used to say the 2003 show gave people the wrong impression of the characters, like "fans will only think of Beast Boy as a goof ball idiot, that Raven is some emo goth chick, and Starfire as something other than a sex object."

And for both of those points the old show and comic are still there, easily available for people to read/watch, and TTG didn't go out and burn every copy of them. Nothing is ruined.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

How so? TTGO! isn't connected to the 2003 TT series, plus it's aimed at younger kids, not the young adults who grew up watching the 2003 show. The kids whom TTGO! is aimed at aren't constantly comparing it to the 2003 series, and it's not like Cartoon Network had every shred of evidence of the 2003 TT show destroyed. The 2003 show still exists in reruns on Boomerang, DVD and the like for those who prefer that. However, TTGO does seem to be making some fans forget that the 2003 TT show they loved so much was likewise a silly comedy. Yeah, there were also some action-y elements to TT, but let's not remember the show as being more hardcore than it was. TT wasn't Justice League with teenagers; it had teens living on their own with no jobs, income or adult supervision, superheroes who walked around all day in their costumes and using their superhero names all the time, even while chillaxing at home, stories dealing with magical impish doppelgangers, a Wacky Races spoof, training with talking kung-fu animals, characters jumping in and out of TV shows, wackiness ensuing while trapped inside a magician's hat, giant goofy baby aliens and super-intelligent talking tofu. If TTGO! is making fans forget anything, it's that the original TT was only slightly less kiddy than GO! is.

The 2003 show did the same thing by minimizing the comic books characters down to basic high-school archetypes (the honor student, the jock, the foreign exchange student, the class clown and the Goth girl) and changing Deathstroke the Terminator from a geneticially enhanced assassin with family issues out the wazoo and a genuine score to settle with the Titans to the generic, masked, all-purpose uber- bad guy known only as Slade. TT was the TV equivalent of Burger King taking France's national treasure the croissant and turning it into the Croissan'wich. On top of that, most of the show's fans have never picked up a comic in their lives, so comparisons to the comics aren't any more an issue for GO! than they were for 2003 TT.

There isn't and they do, but that has more to do with CN's mismanaging of their action properties and inability to play ball with Warner Brothers than it does with TTGO!.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  12. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Did anybody really think that Teen Titans Go! had any relation to Young Justice being canceled? Honestly? I just don't see any rational argument that they were connected at all, but I guess angry fans can come up with anything.

I find it troubling that you think a positive character like cartoon Starfire (in either version of the show) "tarnishes" Starfire's latest comic book incarnation as a sex object. She might have always had a skimpy outfit in the comics and she was very prominently sleeping with Dick Grayson/Nightwing in the comics, but it never seemed lurid or tawdry in the way a lot of sex is presented these days in DC and Marvel cape-and-spandex comics. But, beyond that, absolutely none of the animated adaptations of DC (or Marvel) superheroes has remained 100% faithful to the comic books, so I don't see how being disconnected from them now is more of a problem than it ever has been in the past.

13. webmonkey44

webmonkey44 Member

I do not want to watch a new 52 starfire show anyway thanks...that would be ugly and uncomfortable

14. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I'm going to disagree a little with this. You're probably right about new readership, but in July 2011 right before the reboot, DC sold about 2.1 million comics, according to Diamond. This past January, they sold over 2.5 million comics. These figures also don't take into account the rise in digital sales.

Now where I probably agree with you besides new readership is that individual DC titles themselves aren't necessarily selling better, based on quick glances.

15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

I think the amount itself isn't the big deal. It was the assertion that TTG was "ruining the comics" or not portraying the characters accurately to the source material, and my point was that it simply isn't a concern for most people. Most of the kids watching aren't likely to go pick up a comic book (in fact Teen Titans is being cancelled soon after Forever Evil wraps), and even if they were, the cartoons aren't meant to be ads for the books.

16. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

I don't think TTG is to blame. CN was still trying to figure out what shows it wanted, and unfortunately, YJ was something undesired, so it went away.

Now, I find it a little peculiar that TTG is deemed as an insult to the fans of the older series. While I believe this is somewhat true, many fans will say that TTG is for a younger audience, and is not connected to the old series in any ways, which is ALSO true. If the show is made for little kids, though, then why go through all the trouble of getting the original cast members back on board? If it's to gather the nostalgic fans, then this seems to be a rather odd method as TTG seems more mocking of the older fans, destroying whatever memories they had of the old show.

TTG just seems to be another example of a new show coming to a soured audience. They'll tear apart any new thing that they feel 'pales in comparison to X and Y.' If I'm not mistaken, Beware the Batman was met with similar animosity, but that hate slowly tapered off, garnering a reasonably lower amount of 'fan hate' than TTG.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Like PeppeRaskell1 said, fans blamed Level Up for canceling Sym-bionic Titan. I always see fans make statements like "They canceled X for Y?!!" all the time.
    I guess people are under the notion that networks have limited resources and can only produce a set number of shows at a time, so they cancel one show for another.

18. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

No, it's just boring and mean spirited.

It was better before I started watching adventure time, though.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please use the Edit Post button instead of posting twice in a row.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Yeah, fans of shows often like to scapegoat a newcomer show when their favorite show gets canceled, like when people blamed Class of 3000 for Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi's cancellation, or when somebody blamed the new Thundercats' cancellation on Legends of Chima, because that's easier for them to take than the idea that people just weren't that into the former show. It's easier to shout "Show B is responsible for Show A getting the ax!" then to simply accept that Show A just didn't perform that well. Just blame another show instead of dealing with the fact that a show you liked just wasn't that popular.

20. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Did anyone else think Starfire's design was too inappropiate for a kids show? Even though it was obviously toned down from the comics, I'm still surprised they got away with it.

She's wearing practically nothing but a short top exposing her midriff, a very tiny skirt, and long boots. Her entire outfit emphasized her curves and the camera would constantly show us bizarre close ups on her breasts when she was fighting for no reason at all.

I'm surprised they got away with it,.