Disney's "The 7D" Series Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Ed Liu, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Starting up a talkback thread for Disney's new animated comedy series The 7D.

[​IMG]

Also, unfortunately, starting it with my fair-to-middling review of the premiere episode, which I found underwhelming in general, especially in comparison to all the great stuff that's come before it and the incredible amount of talent attached to the show.

2. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

3. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

I don't understand the app thing. Aren't they limiting ratings by releasing all this stuff early? Their ratings have already been down lately as it is.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I thought it was pretty good myself. The writers did a good job of giving each character a little something to do despite each short only being 11 minutes long. The show's a tad simplistic, but that's to be expected given that The 7D was originally slated for Disney Junior, and anyway not every show needs to be river deep in order to be entertaining. I've only seen 1 episode so far, but I can already see Doc, Grumpy and Happy shaping up to be my favorite characters on the series.

Overall, I liked what I saw today, and I'll definitely be tuning in for more.

5. emocobra666

emocobra666 New Member

need this show online asap since i don't get disney xd

6. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Doc McStuffins is from Brown Bag Films, not Disney Television Animation. Just wanted to point that out.

You can still download the first ep for free on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-7d-vol.-1/id884244134

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  7. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Happy's happy. Are you happy?

To me this series looks fine. The characters are witty and fun to watch.

8. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Yeah, pre-order that's a good idea!

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, it's simplistic I'll admit but funny.

9. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

I do like what I saw of the first two - I'll try to keep up with this one... Just needs to continue to improve in the writing department and we'll have another good Disney cartoon on our hands.

10. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

didn't even know this existed I g

uess I'll check it out eventually

11. The ShopSoldier

I'm afraid I must admit this here and now - I felt the first segment of Episode 1 was definitely better than the second, IMHO - if only because of the villains' portrayal - otherwise, this series is pretty good so far... I'm just likely to end up bashing it if the portrayals are as lacking as the 2nd segment of episode 1, however. Such stereotyping shouldn't be the norm anymore - that's the bad feeling I get from this.

This quote I feel puts things into perspective: "The villains being mostly equal worked much better than the shift in the second episode where Hildy starts bossing Gloom around and all of the jokes are at his expense even though she's the one who deserves comeuppance. Come on, writers, innovate!"

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I agree, but that only happened in 1 short (so far). Hopefully, this won't become the norm. But, yeah, I agree that the 1st short , "The Long, Long Winter", was the slightly better of the 2. I'm hoping that The 7D will be able to maintain this level of quality throughout the the series.

13. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with the statement that the writers gave every character something to do when 4 out of the 7 dwarfs aren't much more than background fodder. I think Doc, Grumpy, and Happy may be your favorite characters because they're the only dwarfs who do anything interesting in either story (Sleepy snoozing through their trip through the mountains is in character, but I don't think I'd stretch to call that "interesting"). Grumpy definitely seems to dominate the proceedings (and I agree he's entertaining, unfunny "kissy noises" recurring gag notwithstanding), though I'd say he dominates in the original movie,too.

My criticisms, at least, don't center on the show being shallow. I wouldn't say Jake and the Never Land Pirates or Doc McStuffins are deep shows (at least, not regularly), and both shows land squarely in their target demos, but both of those shows can make me laugh more regularly than this one of The 7D did. Might get better, for sure, but I don't see quite enough there to really warrant my continued attention in the same way as those other shows or something like Wander Over Yonder.

Brown Bag is the studio that animates the show, but Doc McStuffins is still a Disney product. Chris Nee pitched the series to Disney, it was Disney that suggested making Doc black, and Disney does the home video and the merchandising. Even if the animation itself is outsourced, I'd still lump Doc in with the other shows I listed than shows like Slugterra, the Pac-Man show, or Timmy Time, which are licensed by Disney but not owned by them.

14. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

I'd put Doc McStuffins under the same category as Henry Hugglemonster and Sheriff Callie's Wild West. They're owned, funded, and merchandised by Disney, but not produced under the DTVA banner.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

To be fair, Sleepy, Sneezy and Bashful weren't dominant characters in the original film either. Happy was pretty minor in Snow White also, mainly because the other Dwarfs, save for Grumpy of course, were likewise basically happy fellows so Happy's primary characteristic had no real way of distinguishing itself. The 7D rectified that by giving Happy a penchant for singing goofy songs and making him a tad wacky, Kevin Richardson's voice definitely helps in that regard. Also, we're only 2 episodes in; Sneezy got a fair amount to do in "Sneezin' Season" and Sleepy will be getting a spotlight episode, "Gnome Alone" in an upcoming show. And really, when all is said and done, there's not much you can do with Sleepy and Sneezy other than light gags: one is a guy who sleeps whenever and wherever possible and the other sneezes with the force of a hurricane. How deep and intricate are their characters and performances supposed to get? Of the so-called "minor Dwarfs" from the movie (Happy, Sneezy, Bashful and Sleepy), the only ones with major character role potential are Happy and Bashful; their respective extreme optimism and shyness/fear could be played up for comic effect and mined for a major story role in later installments. The other 2, not so much.

Dopey here is reiteration of Harpo Marx or a nonverbal Wakko Warner, so he's a little too bizarre to get a major role in a story (the fact that he can't talk hinders that as well) but he still gets ample amounts to do, even if they're mostly sight gags. As for Bashful, well, he's supposed to be a shrinking violet character; the fun thing with him is watching him do his best to not stand out; in the opening sequence he literally hides from the camera, his face is only on screen once or twice during the entire sequence. My point: it's too early to declare that any of the Dwarfs are really getting short changed in terms of screen time just yet. This show's takes on Doc and Grumpy appeal to me because I generally like nutty inventors and characters with a bit a sass who add a touch of lemon to the overall sweetness, and this show's version of Happy just makes me laugh whenever he's on camera.

Fair enough. It's possible The 7D just isn't for you, and that's OK; everybody's not going to enjoy everything. As they used to say on the old Sara Lee commercials: "Everybody doesn't like something." Personally, I'm liking this show so far, it's the kind of silly, harmless fun that I'm into these days, and based on what I've been reading, even those who were staunchly opposed to this show when it was announced seem to be changing their views now that it's premiered, so I'm optimistic that The 7D will stick around for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  16. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

The show has potential, though while I find Hildy and Grim interesting villains I hope we get other villains too.

17. emocobra666

emocobra666 New Member

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I'd be OK with that as long as a) the show didn't become too reliant on the presence of villains; sometimes they can do simple 'slice of life' stories which don't involve bad guys at all; I'd personally like to see more stories like "The Delightful Diamond Mystery" which don't feature any villains, and b) said villains were kept goofy, silly and harmless; I'd hate to see this show try to get serious. The 7D should never go the route of Sonic SatAM or even MLP: Friendship is Magic's season openers and closers. I'm dating myself with this, but I get a serious Lidsville, The Bugaloos or H.R. Pufenstuf vibe from this show, and I like that. The 7D is just simple, fast-paced, goofy fun, that's how it should stay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  19. The ShopSoldier

I can agree with that, as long as they are well written and don't overtake the show (knowing these writers are alumni for some of the best cartoons of memory out there, I hope they know that, too.).

However, it's important we also continue to get good slice - of - life episodes as well to balance it out (like a certain pony show has painstakingly done, for example....). My example of this is the 2nd segment of episode 2, which demonstrates this importance quite well and leaves me hungry for more of this still new show.

20. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Personally, I'd be fine if The 7D never introduces any "real" villains (i.e., villains who would pose an actual threat, since we know coming in that the Glooms stand as much chance of actually taking over Jollywood as Wile E. Coyote has of catching the Road Runner). Every show doesn't have to be edgy or epic. Some shows can just be silly fun. Sometimes you need that in your life. I know I do.