Disney's "The 7D": A Retrospective

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Candy Randy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Candy Randy

Candy Randy Active Member

Today marks a day since the finale of The 7D first premiered in the United States. The production of the show was overseen by Tom Ruegger, and he brought along many of the staff who worked with him on past Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera series. The 7D took place years before the time of Snow White, with its own separate universe, and it paid homages to the 1937 Disney film, as well as some Disney and pop culture references. Even with all the talent involved and an all-star cast of veteran voice actors plus Kelly Osbourne (Hildy) and Leigh-Allyn Baker (Queen Delightful), this lighthearted and funny series is still very underappreciated.

When The 7D was first announced for Disney Junior (later moved to Disney XD) in 2012, even with Ruegger being named as the executive producer, there were negativity and attacks towards the show and its staff, especially with you-know-who of Cartoon Brew. However, when the show debuted in July 2014, it became a ratings hit on Disney XD, making it at the time the No. 2 premiere in the network's history. Its official tie-in gaming app was downloaded more than a million times, enough for it to become No. 1. Then, the much anticipated Star vs. the Forces of Evil debuted months later, which eclipsed The 7D. SvtFoE became Disney XD's darling, and suddenly the writing's on the wall for The 7D over the next year.

A schedule change on the last several episodes of the first season on January 2015 forced the season finale, "The Rock of Sages", off Disney XD as it was announced that there were some animation problems. Despite that, a few scenes from the episode was featured on that month's promo for the series, though one of the clips was revealed to be a deleted scene. Meanwhile, DXD in the U.S. continued to sat on the episode for several months while other Disney channels around the world had access to the season finale. "The Rock of Sages" finally premiered on the U.S. on September 2015, then many more months had been passed until the second season premiered on January 2016.

At that time, The 7D was placed in a Saturday morning time slot at 9:30; DXD promoted the second season premiere and a few subsequent episodes well, which got strong ratings. After then, DXD had mostly stopped promoting the series, causing the ratings to drop sharply. The network also began the reduction of reruns; by the last months of the series' original run, its Saturday morning time slot became the only time one can watch the show on TV. New episodes and reruns aired on that lone time slot, and it was frequently preempted by random marathons or other special events. (It led many fans to forget that The 7D was still airing.) Further complicating matters was the series' cancellation by Disney before the start of Season 2 around New Year's but hadn't made public until the following April, cutting the number of episodes intended for the second season from 39 to 20.

The 7D had proved to be a decent sized hit, but in my opinion it got lost in the shuffle as the ever-increasing popularity of story-driven shows like Gravity Falls and the aforementioned SvtFoE, in addition to DXD's over-attention towards them and a few others. Tastes were changed -- drama and angst are in, silliness is out. It came at a wrong time. Plus, the show wasn't a good fit for DXD: the show's brand of silly comedy and lightheartedness doesn't quite mix well with the network's other programming. Even though Disney encouraged The 7D's producers to aim for all ages, it instead ended up on a network that gears towards boys. Outside the U.S., the show is/was regularly shown on a Disney Channel or Disney Junior in some countries (in the U.K. and Ireland, The 7D was moved from DXD to Disney Channel earlier this year).

The circumstances surrounding The 7D's abrupt cancellation remains a mystery. Wander Over Yonder's Craig McCracken, Gravity Falls' Alex Hirsch, and Penn Zero: Part Time Hero's Sam Levine had announced why their series ended and told their fans what they had in store had the series been continued. Over a year has passed, and none of The 7D's staff revealed why the series had ended so soon. Me and my friends speculated that there were some behind-the-scenes stuff going on between corporate and the show's staff, or Disney for some reason forced them into a NDA.

Despite whatever troubles the show had, I'm glad I got to enjoy it. The 7D was the one reason I made many friends online over it. It has a lot of great songs that it was criminal not to release a soundtrack as Disney had done for other shows (Parry Gripp once mentioned that they were in talks to release one for The 7D)! The 7D makes you feel better when you had a bad day, and it deserves another chance.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just passionate about this show! So...what are your thoughts on or memories of The 7D?

#1 Candy Randy, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Okay, so I was completely obsessed with the show when it first came out. I have no idea why. I think it was because it made me want to watch the original Snow White again, and that blasted me with a nostalgia bomb. Dopey was one of my favorite characters when I was little so I just imagined that The 7D would have been a show that I loved to have seen when I was younger.

Even though I was literally obsessed with it during the first season, by the time Rock of Sages came out I stopped caring that much. I only saw a couple of season two episodes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. imanidrayton

imanidrayton Member

The first time I ever heard and watch that was over at my grandmother's house on the 3rd day it premiered. I watched the theme song first, then I played the game, I remember the first episode I watched was Welcome to the Neighborhood but then I watched every single episode from start to finish. Then when the series finale premiered I was very upset to see it go and I'm still am, at least it stayed on the schedule for a bit but now it's off the schedule and I haven't watched any newer shows lately.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Candy Randy

Dopey's my favorite character, too, next to Sneezy! I do like how the show characterized Dopey. Like him, I'm mostly quiet and artistic.

Yeah, even my friends told me that many people barely watched the show anymore when the nearly year-long hiatus happened. I have to wonder whether that was intentional to justify Disney abandoning the show.

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to it when it came out because I liked Ruegger’s work, and I wasn’t disappointed. There are episodes I haven’t seen, but I need to get back into the show at some point because I thought the episodes I did see were a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Candy Randy

I forgot to mention that I've heard from several staff members who publicly said that they were shocked Disney unexpectedly pulled the plug on the show, and they really want to produce more episodes. Even though several of them remained at Disney to work on the upcoming Big City Greens and the rest now at other studios (with a few working on Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz), it goes to show that working on The 7D was really a joy for them, and my friends have told me that the show was a joy for them to watch, too.

7. imanidrayton

imanidrayton Member

They still didn't give us any answers on why those next few episodes have been pulled, maybe they were too expensive for them to air.

8. Candy Randy

I had a feeling that The 7D was a troubled production from the start. Whether or not it became expensive for Disney, I really think it doesn't excuse how they handled the show. They could have at least gave the The 7D another chance and time to retool production. On the other hand, it's not like that Disney's frugal -- they make tens of billions of dollars in revenue for years. And they allow their Disney XD favorites to have multiple seasons on purpose. (I have to wonder how much Disney is spending on the DuckTales reboot -- clearly they wanted it to become a hit.)

9. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

At first I was going to hate it, until I saw the previews of it. And I enjoy it. It's funny and clever, even though they're not the same dwarfs I know and love. But it's a shame it lasted two seasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. imanidrayton

imanidrayton Member

They should of kept it on the Disney Junior channel from the beginning, since that show is aimed for a younger audience and it could of done well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Candy Randy

That could have been great. :)

12. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it was obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The show had great potential, but it was stuck between being a Disney Junior cartoon and a Disney XD cartoon. Plus the Gloom's schemes were so easily beatable, I can't help but feel sorry for them. They were like the show's Heins Doofensmirtz, but at least Perry the Platypus gives him some slack. There was even an episode where Hildy Gloom only wanted to get away from the 7D, and she couldn't even do something non-evil without the 7D ruining it.

One huge shame about the cancellation though, was the villains (minus the Glooms) uniting at the end of an episode being left without a follow through story.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I think you nailed my thoughts exactly... This show had some great visuals and art-style choices, but the writing needed much more time, thought, and substance put into it to avoid the pitfalls made by shows that only really cater to a younger audience. Plus, after a while, you really start to feel bad for the Glooms, who unironically are the show's best characters (to most of anyone who stuck around for it - there are way more fans of the Glooms than the MCs.); it's just a shame they're written to be quite dumb (especially Grimm), unfortunately.

In the grand scheme of things, The 7D was pretty much a Mid Tier show with some High Tier ideas that should have materialized (into proper comedy) much more often than they actually do, IMHO - I admit that I'm still more sad that Wander Over Yonder and Penn Zero got pulled/nixed over this (at least the latter (Penn Zero) had a good ending, IMHO.) , in comparison (and that's despite ANY/ALL criticisms I have with those 2 shows, as well...), honestly.

#14 I.R. Shokew, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. emocobra666

emocobra666 Member

I use to love this show when it first came out but the long brake made me kind of give up on it but I did see some of season 2 but never finished it