Disney's "Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series News Thread (NO SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Disney15ish, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Disney15ish

Disney15ish Member

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

I don't think anything yet. When all you have is a plot summary, you know nothing about the depth of the characters, the quality of the writing or the fluidity of the animation. I need more info to pass judgment.

All I can say for now is that they need a better name than "Star and the Forces of Evil."

3. StellaMagic

StellaMagic New Member

Sounds like this show could be the next Kim Possible.

4. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

Another magical adventure show? Come on, can't we have more sci fi based adventures? Especially with more tech? I mean come on. What's the appeal of magic anyway? To me you can never have enough sci fi nor tech and Disney needs more adventure shows with technology in them.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using toonzone. And I'm a loner at heart.

5. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    '

Argument noted (And I'm not even a fan of Kim Possible's schtick - I'm just showing respect where respect is due wh said show does something right and creatively at that!...).
    At least this may have an actual chance of finding an audience like Gravity Falls from the get-go, pro's good, of course.

Unfortunately, doubt is strong in me, knowing people from The Buzz on Maggie (Easily Disney's worst to this date, IMHO) are working on this - I don't expect Kim Possible-levels of quality (nor gravty Falls for that matter) to truly emerge from this.

6. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

Not talking bout a Kim Possible clone I'm talking bout a lack of tech based shows here.

7. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

The sad fact is that Disney probably will not order new sci-fi animated series for a while, and the reason for that are the ratings for those type of shows. Tron Uprising and Motorcity were showcase animated properties for Disney XD at last year's upfront, almost exactly one year ago. Their failure is noted by Bryan at Nick and More in November, when premiere episodes moved to Monday mornings at midnight. It is a business issue. Other Disney XD shows, like Lab Rats, Kickin It, and the Marvel Universe shows, drew in more viewers than those two sci-fi shows did. Unless it carries the "Star Wars" name or if the Marvel animated shows explore sci-fi themes, sci-fi animated projects at Disney TV Animation are likely gone for the next few years IMO.

8. Jazz

Jazz New Member

Too early to tell, but I will say that I'll keep my eye out for it. I think it looks promising, change the title and the character's name (Star Butterfly? Really now...) and I think it will catch more attention. I'd like to see what they would do with this space princess, I think people are really wanting a heroine like Kim Possible or Fionna of Adventure Time again. let's see what comes out of this. With Dave Wasson on board I'll let Buzz on Maggie slide, if it was the shows creator, Dave Polsky then well, that would be another story. But Wasson is good at what he does.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

The Buzz on Maggie? But....the press release says a fresh graduate from CalArts made this. Wouldn't it be safe to assume SHE'D be in charge?

10. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

There's more than one producer.

11. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

That's a real shame, Tommy, but perhaps from an animated series standpoint, perhaps mainstream adventure might do Disney some good. I'm going to check out Star & the Froces of Evil, once it hits Disney Channel's airwaves, but there's probably another animated series possibility that Disney might want to look at, if they don't mind forming some sort of partnership with Ruby-Spears Productions, and this possibility is based on some of Jack Kirby's work, which he intended for R-S that Disney legally owns:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/04/12/arts/20100413_KIRBY_SLIDESHOW_index.html

Kirby's artworks had been sitting in Ruby-Spears' vaults for years, but now that Disney legally owns them, why not get Joe Ruby and Ken Spears involved in producing their first animated original series for Disney Channel. I'm talking about Roxie's Raiders, and it would look good for Disney Channel's Saturday morning lineup(I know, Tommy, getting that project off the ground is going to be a long shot from happening, but possible), in addition to the upcoming Star & the Forces of Evil. I think this could be a sign of Disney turning the corner in animated programming by finally adding animated adventure to it's schedule, but this upcoming series could remind me a little bit of the old Mighty Ducks series, which featured them primarily as crimefighters. That's what's missing from Disney Channel, adventurers, crimefighters, a sense of threat/menace, etc. Given a chance, this is what Disney Channel can be as a network, but all the same, let's stay on top of this.

12. LegoFan224

LegoFan224 Member

Actually, Fish Hooks is Disney's worst. But just because someone worked on a bad TV show, doesn't mean their show is going to be bad. Alex Hirsch worked on the terrible Fish Hooks, but made the great Gravity Falls. So don't judge someone on their past works.

13. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Nevertheless, the fact that people from The Buzz on Maggie (and other...not-so-great shows which shall remain nameless) are working on this show is something I'm personally going to need to take into consideration. In any event, I just hope this isn't another Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (where, for all intents and purposes, the title character gets sent to [then-present day] Earth as "punishment" for bad behavior). After all, the synopsis says that Star Butterfly is a princess "who must settle in to her new Earthly home with the Diaz family". Why was she sent there in the first place? IMHO, a Zenon-like plot would--in the long run--just be nothing more than something for the parents to use to teach the viewers about good behavior, etc, which really isn't fair to the viewers or the parents, but I digress. More importantly however, I'm hoping this will be the genuine article, and not just a(nother) gimmick for advertising another sitcom-style slice-of-life series about school life, etc that's been done eleventy billion times before. What also worries is the "magic wand" the synopsis also mentions. It says that Star Butterfly is still learning how to use it. Is that really a legitimate part of the plot, or is that just there to be played for laughs at various random (not to mention unnecessary) times (you know, based on the whole "imperfect characters who make mistakes" angle)? I'm sorry, but some people have heard this story before: a show with a lot potential that appears to be one thing, but turns out to be something else, with that one thing just being one part of it. I want to give the show a chance, but I guess what I really want to know is, what is the show "really" about?

Incidentally, I should point out that there was already a previous thread about this show, where I also expressed some other concerns about this show I have.

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

It kind of reminds of Kim Possible. Of course I will wait until I have more info before I say "yay" or "nay" on it.

15. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    I can apologize for being suer judgmental, but not for being concerned that this won't be as entertaining as Gravity Falls is right now, IMHO... I just want Disney to get their game back in the (TV) animation department - and that's requires anything coming ou tafter Gravity Falls being just as good,if not, a tougher act to/worth follow(ing) themselves like said show is - and lasting a long enough time to make an impact, too.

I am almost with Mandouga on this one... Almost.

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator

Considering there is an upcoming major Marvel movie called Guardians of the Galaxy, and another rumored title is the animated Big Hero 6, simple titles for the hero stories may be the "in" thing for Disney at the moment. I don't expect the word "Princess" to show up in the title, to both avoid confusion with the Disney Princesses, and to make sure it doesn't have brand issues appealing to a male audience. It's been nearly a decade since W.I.T.C.H., with its 5 female main characters, and Disney may not want to give the impression that this could be a show only for a girl audience. Those are potential things to consider for a new show title.

17. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

Which makes me wonder,if the ratings are made by the people,does this means the people like magic more than science and technol in their cartoons? And for the record, I love a new Star Wars series as long as it involves 2 words,LUKE SKYWALKER!!

18. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

This this this this. I still feel stupid for dismissing Gravity Falls when it was originally announced.

The creator (Daron Nefcy) has a Tumblr which features her art. She's a very talented artist and that gives me faith in the potential of this series (at least from an animation and art standpoint).

19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Sounds like a send-up of Sailor Moon.

20. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

It better not be. Like I said in the other thread, there's nothing wrong with shows (comedy based or not) playing it straight every once in a while, (except of course when they focus more on drama and tragedy, but that's beside the point). For this reason, I truly hope it isn't a parody of Sailor Moon, or any other magical girl series, for that matter.