1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney's Sofia the First

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by trance2009, Dec 12, 2011.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

That was Jeeisa DiCicco, no wonder I liked Grotta, she voices Tambry and Giffany on Gravity Falls. Nice to see some actors on both my Disney shows, when you think about it, Giffany is a bully character too, maybe more so than anyone.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

A bully? Seriously? Dude, don't you recognize a stalker when you see one?;)

3. zoombie

Well who says you can't be both.

4. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The Princess Ballet

Writers: Laurie Israel & Rachel Ruderman

Sofia The First is a show that can make even supposedly girly concepts or ideas relatable to everyone, and this episode is a good example of that. Art Night at Royal Prep is coming up, and Sofia, Amber, and Kara want to do the ballet. While Sofia and Amber practice like normal, Kari keeps pushing herself to be the best, which concerns Sofia and Amber, who encourage her to take it easy. It’s revealed that she’s a perfectionist since her mother was a star student at Royal Prep, and she wants to live up to that. Part of the show’s charm is character development to all its characters, even minor ones. Kari is interesting in that she goes too far, but remains sympathetic. We’ve always wanted to live up to the legacy of our parents, so you can understand her when she pushes herself too hard. At the same time, you can see why this is a problem since she’s not focused on having a good time. There are some nice heartfelt moments and bits of humor, and they never go too far in showing she went too far. It ties into a nice moral on how it’s good to take things seriously, but it’s also good to have fun while doing it. I call it a good episode.

5. zoombie

I wish Disney would stay consistent on the schedule. It is getting frustrating, finally saw "Princess Ballet", it was a fine episode.

I knew what the message was, and it was predictable and straight forward, it was still an enjoyable episode, I liked Princess Kari and that master teacher, I thought he would be a lot older, he was funny.

Question I have, does anyone what other roles the actress that voices Princess Zoey has had, I know I have heard that voice somewhere, her voice actress does not ring a bell, but where has I heard that voice?

6. SweetShop209

Princess Zoey is voiced by Fiona Bishop. On this show, she voices Meg and Peg (the identical twin blond Buttercup scouts) and she also voices Loretta on Miles From Tomorrowland.

As for your other point regarding the schedule, I think it's because The Lion Guard is premiering on the Sunday before Thanksgiving (November 22), which is usually reserved for Sofia The First specials, so they moved this episode to Sunday morning. All the known episodes after that air on Friday.

7. SweetShop209

All The Sprite Moves

Writer: Erica Rothschild

Date: November 6, 2015

The strength of a show like Sofia The First is making its characters likable, even when they do something wrong, and this is a good example of that. Vivian finds out that her family is moving to a new castle, which doesn't please her, so she decides to get Sofia's sprite friends to help her out by pretending that the new castle is haunted, which doesn't turn out well. Vivian doesn't get too much screen time, but I think she's quite a dynamic character. Yes, she is sabotaging her family's move to a new castle, but that's only because she feels insecure about moving to a new place, allowing you to sympathize with her even though she's making a big mistake. There's an interesting kind of entertainment here, mostly from the comedically silly nature of the haunting and a Clover/Crackle dynamic in reverse. It all ties into a nice moral on how change can be good. Well, I call it a good episode.

8. SweetShop209

Sofia In Elvenmoor

Writer: Krista Tucker
    Date: November 13, 2015

Sofia The First manages to pay homages to Disney films with tact, like right here. While in the woods, Sofia and Clover wind up in the world of Elvenmoor, where they meet Alfonso, who gives them a tour. This story essentially pays homage to Alice In Wonderland, and it manages to be well done. The story would still be good if it was just a fun adventure episode, but there's more. The tree that leads to Elvenmoor is going to be chopped unless they get out of there, but everyone is distracted. In addition to the homage, this episode also takes on desire, and how it can cloud your judgement, and it's in a way that fits the characters. It all ends on a nice moral on staying focused. I call it a good episode.

9. SweetShop209

Stormy Lani

Writer: Allen J. Zipper

Date: November 20, 2015

With shows like Sofia The First, each episode offers a unique experience, like right here. In Hakalo, Leilani is told to go on the Fire Pearl Quest as a rite of passage to become ruler of the kingdom if she passes, and brings Sofia with her. She has trouble controlling her emotions, which are tied to the weather, because of Mamanu secretly sabotaging her. The plot on its own is pretty good because of the epic feel of the quest and the powers, but the underlying subtext makes this better. Because Leilani is losing her temper because of a villain, she manages to stay likable. It manages to teach a good moral on controlling your emotions by thinking positively. I call this a good episode.

10. zoombie

Well the last few episodes, Sofia has been going on these field trips with King Rowland and Queen Maranda, with out James and Amber, that is weird only taking one child on a trip, this is like Aang's parenting all over again.

11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Todd Haberkorn... singing... in a Disney show... Awesome!!

12. zoombie

Lord Of The Rink

I liked the callback to "Just One Of The Princes", it shows how full circle we have come here, especially with prince Hugo's character. He still kind of has the sexism to him, but more to himself than girls.

Sofia is the one that has to give him courage to get over his self esteem / peer pressure whatever you want to call them issues.

Sofia and Hugo, if this show was for a slightly older audience, I might ship them, there are no Dipificia, but I see some chemistry, just because is not to the degree of "Northwest Manson Noir" is not an insult.

#172 zoombie, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  13. SweetShop209

Lord Of The Rink

Writers: Laurie Israel & Rachel Ruderman

Date: December 4, 2015

This episode is like a reverse "Just One Of The Princes", which I think is a good thing. The girls are trying out for enchanted ice dancing, which fascinates Hugo, prompting him to try out, but he's afraid of what others will think, especially his father. While you know how it ends, it's the journey that makes it fun. With Hugo being kinder, he manages to stay likable, especially since we all have passions others may not like too much. There's a nice elegance with all the ice dancing, and some fun action on the hockey side. Plus Sofia and Hugo have a nice character dynamic. It ties into a nice moral on how its good to do something you love even if others don't approve. I think its a good episode.

14. SweetShop209

The Secret Library: Olaf And The Tale Of Miss Nettle

Writers: Rachel Ruderman & Craig Gerber

Date: February 15, 2016

Sofia The First proves once again how well written it is, and this episode is further proof of it. Sofia is summoned again by the Secret Library to go to Friezenberg to stop Miss Nettle from taking all the Snowdrops, flowers that helped the kingdom prosper. Miss Nettle puts crazy crystals on Sofia's amulet so she can't talk to animals, and that results in Olaf coming to help her. This episode is quite the story. On the surface, it breathes more life into the world of the show with the how kingdom of Friezenberg is and subverts the other summoning episodes by having Olaf play an active role. However, there's a bit more to it. This episode is essentially a character study of Miss Nettle, and what makes her tick. It turns out she made the flowers, but was not given the proper credit. It not only fits her character since she wants attention but it makes her more interesting since she essentially represents the person who works hard and doesn't get credit, like how anyone would feel. It's made better by the fact no one had any malicious intent on this part. The real moment of awesome is the moral on how a little kindness can have a big impact. I call this a good episode.

15. zoombie

Well this was a great episode, but makes me wonder how much more we have left.

Oloff shows up and is his normal comedic self, great to see him. And I don't believe it, they redeemed Miss Nettle, first Cedric, and now Miss Nettle, we are out of recurring antagonists.

So I have to wonder are we close to wrapping it. I mean this is a Disney Junior series, and has real kids providing the voices of the kid characters, so this series might have a short self life because of that.

Regardless a brilliant episode, I loved it.

16. zoombie

Well what do you guys think of the latest episode. I love "Gone With The Wand" seeing that other side of Cedric, and "Her Royal Spyness" I thought it was going to be about the girls suspecting Miranda was having an affair, but this is a Disney Junior show after all.

17. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I've been looking for this thread.

And yeah, Miranda having an affair seems a bit too far fetched for this show. Amber spying on what she thought was a Sealian made more sense.

Little surprised that Sofia went along with it, but sometimes I like when she messes up. Some episodes sort of play her as a Mary Sue, so I'd like her to have to some flaws. Makes her more interesting.

18. SweetShop209

19. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

Very few episodes actually when you think about it. Sure, everything comes out alright in the end, but sometimes it takes a lot of mishaps to get there.

20. zoombie

Hmm got to see that, Sofia and Hidegard always got along okay, where they best of friends no, but not antagonistic either. I so no difference in Sofie and Hidegard's interaction in the "Secret Library" than any other episode in the series.