1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney's Sofia the First

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by trance2009, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

With season 2 of Sofia the First over, I figured it would be a good idea to list my 15 favorite episodes of the season. Now, let's begin.

15. The Enchanted Feast

Writers: Craig Gerber & Michael G. Stern

Date: April 4, 2014

Synopsis: "Miss Nettle puts on a disguise to get Sofia's amulet."

Season 2 saw Doug Cooney leaving the writing table, and two new writers coming forth: Michael G. Stern and Krista Tucker. In the case of the former, he managed to leave a good first impression. This episode is a follow up to one of my favorite season 1 episodes "Make Way For Miss Nettle", which pretty much guaranteed it a spot on the list. Miss Nettle is really crafty here with how she tries to steal the amulet. Her disguise is foolproof, her plan us brilliant, and her song is amazing. That's the complete package. Sofia manages to be well written with the position she's in: others not believing you. We've all had those moments in our lives where we suspect something is off, and others don't believe us. Plus, we actually see she's right, which removes any unfortunate implications. We cut to the climax where everyone but Sofia, Clover, Wormwood, and Cedric are trapped inside. Snow White comes in and says how you should trust yourself when others don't. That's a pretty good moral, and the way they took down Miss Nettle was pretty cool. It's nice.

14. The Flying Crown

Writer: Erica Rothschild

Date: April 11, 2014

Synopsis: "Sofia and Hugo are paired up for the next Royal Derby race."

Hugo is a character who intrigues me. When he first appeared in "Just One Of The Princes", he was an arrogant, stuck up jerk who thought only boys should be in the flying derby. This episode, which is a direct sequel to that episode, manages to make him more dimensional. He's essentially pushed by his father and his brother to be the best in flying derby considering their family never won. Even though you don't agree with his jerkish behavior, you can understand it. I should also point out how great Sofia is here since she's doing everything she can to get Hugo to work together with her. We have a nice subplot with James where he tries to prove he can work on the team when he hurts his hand. It provides some humor if Hugo's behavior bothers you. At the climax of the race, Hugo sees that the only way they'll win is if Sofia goes ahead, and she does. It gets across the moral on being a team player. That's pretty cool.

13. Mystic Meadows

Writer: Michael G. Stern

Date: August 8, 2014

Synopsis: "Sofia accompanies Cedric to a retirement home for sorcerers to help him earn his family's powerful wand and his father's respect."

Cedric is a character who intrigues me. Even though he's the show's antagonist, he manages to show a more sympathetic side to him, like right here. Our parents can be jerks sometimes where they don't seem impressed with everything we do, so you definitely feel for him. I also like how dedicated Sofia was to helping Cedric, and how she used her girly charm to persuade Goodwin. Despite Goodwyn's jerkish behavior, he's still written well since he wants to help Cedric get better. If his behavior does bother you, there's the subplot of the other Buttercups trying to help the old wizards. Although the Wizards do show up the girls, they aren't trying to show them up, yet you can see why they'd be frustrated. We cut to the climax where Cedric and Goodwyn accidentally perform a spell that freezes everyone. With Sofia's persuasion, Goodwyn trusts Cedric to undo the spell. It helps get across a good moral on trusting others. It's another good one.

12. Gizmo Gwen

Synopsis: "Sofia helps Gwen live out her dream of being an inventor."

There have plenty of Sofia the First episodes that developed side characters, and this is a good example of that. Gwen is a character who intrigues me. We see how much she likes to invent gizmos, and you feel bad for her when her father won't let her do it. Chef Andre, her father, is also written well since he's trying to help out Gwen, which puts him in the wrong in a sympathetic way. I also like Sofia's dedication to helping out Gwen, and the ways she went about doing it were pretty cool, like with the song. We also have a subplot where Amber tries to set up for a party, but asks too much. It fits her character since she can be over the top in her behavior. Both plots have a fitting conclusion when Gwen proves she can be a great inventor, and helps fix Amber's party. It's pretty cool.

11. The Emerald Key

Writers: Laurie Israel & Rachel Ruderman

Date: October 11, 2014

Synopsis: "After a valuable emerald key from the kingdom of Hakalo washes up on the shore of the castle, Sofia and her family must figure out who the key belongs to when two identical girls arrive, both claiming to be the princess and rightful owners."

This feels like "The Princess Test". It even has the same writers. But, they're different enough that they can be distinguished easily. Princess Leilani could've been a Sofia clone, but she's quite unique. Despite the fact she's miles away from her family in an unfamiliar place, she still proves to be kind and caring to others, and dedicated to bring with her parents, which is pretty cool. I will say that the disguised Leilani makes for a great antagonist with how she's able to manipulate everyone. That is clever. There are some fun moments with the challenges, but the real kicker comes in at the end. Even if Leilani didn't win the last challenge, she proved she was the real princess by being honest about herself, which helps get across the moral by looking at someone for how they act, and not how well they do it since a true princess looks out for others.

10. A Tale Of Two Teams

Date: March 27, 2015

Synopsis: "Sofia must choose between her village friends and her royal family when the villagers compete against the royals in a championship dazzleball game."

This sort of feels like "Rainbow Falls" from MLP, but I actually think this is better. Ruby and Jade do bring up a good argument that Sofia has always played on the village team, and should stick to it. At the same time, Amber and James, through a catchy song, say Sofia should play on the royal team since family always sticks together. With all this in mind, Sofia's conflict is pretty believable, especially considering she's a girl who likes to please everyone. I also like Miranda's advice to Sofia in that she shouldn't forget where she comes from, but ultimately, she has to make the decision. In the end, Sofia chooses the village team, which gets across a good moral on making tough choices. I recommend this one.

9. Princesses To The Rescue

Date: August 15, 2014

Synopsis: "While visiting the Kingdom of Wei-Ling, James and Prince Jin set off to search for the legendary treasure of the Jade Jaguar but soon find themselves and their fathers trapped in the jaguar's den. It's up to Sofia, Amber, and Jun to rescue their loving families."

This is an episode that's good both ways. On the surface, it's a fun adventure episode, but underneath, it actually tells a pretty mature story about female empowerment without being insulting to either side. Roland and Emperor Quan telling the girls to stay behind makes sense considering that they're looking out for their daughters and a jungle is no place for a child to go by themselves, so you can see why the girls would doubt themselves. Mulan's cameo is well handled with how she encourages the girls to keep trying, have faith, and be smart. The girls themselves are also well portrayed since they're doing everything they can to help out their families, and the ways they overcame the obstacles are clever, and it fits their characters. The jaguar is an interesting antagonist, who has a menacing vibe, but he can be reasoned with. We also end on a powerful moral on how you can do the impossible if you act smart and believe in yourself. It's pretty good.

8. The Princess Stays In The Picture

Writer: Krista Tucker

Date: October 24, 2014

Synopsis: "Sofia is paired with Princess Hildegard to work on an enchanted painting for art class. Thanks to Hildegard's lack of listening skills, the princesses end up in the paintings in the school hallway. As they try to escape, Hildegard keeps insisting she knows everything much to Sofia's annoyance."

Some episodes are great just by the plot, buy this goes above and beyond. Let me explain. The idea of going through enchanted pictures is a good one. They definitely play around with the medium of animation, and there's a good sense of adventure. That's not even mentioning how good the characters. We know Hildegard has a bit of an ego, so she's still in character, and we do have a fun subplot with Amber and James in their magic painting if her behavior gets on your nerves. What seals the deal here is the ending. Through song, Hildegard then tells Sofia how she acts like a know it all in order to get people to like her. It works here since she had similar behavior in "The Princess Test", we had the flashbacks showing Hildegard's behavior in past episodes, and it was foreshadowed within the episode in the flying derby painting. It adds a nice layer to her character. It helps get across the moral on how being a good person will help you make friends. It's a good debut for Krista Tucker.

7. Carol Of The Arrow

Date: July 15, 2015

Synopsis: "Sofia overhears her idol, Carol of the Arrow saying that the Royal Family doesn't do anything to help the villagers who are in need. So, she joins her merry band of do-gooders while pretending to be a normal village girl to prove Carol wrong."

A bit of a recurring thing with some people in power is how they give promises to people saying they'll fix things, but they don't do too much to help out. That's where this episode comes in. We know the royal family does help out others even if we don't see it that much, but Carol does bring up a good point since they don't do the types of deeds she does. Carol herself is well written considering that she's looking out for others with everything she does. Sofia is also well written since she wants to impress Carol, just like any child, and she does look out for others. We're also introduced to Jane, Carol's second in command, who's envious and thinks that Sofia is taking her place, so you feel for her even when she sabotages things. We cut to the climax where Jane and this baby raccoon are about to fall down a waterfall. Sofia then rides on Minimus to rescue them. In the end, she joins Carol's merry band. It gets across a good moral on how a good deed is its own reward. Good job.

6. Ghostly Gala

Date: October 3, 2014

Synopsis: "Sofia prepares for a Halloween party in the ballroom and discovers a ghost trying to scare everyone out so he can throw his own ghostly gala."

I like "Princess Butterfly", but I wish there were more Halloween elements to it. Fortunately, we have this episode. It's like a mix between the MLP episodes "Over A Barrel" and "Luna Eclipsed", with the latter being due to the Halloween element. It's essentially a conflict on who gets the castle for the night, but both sides act believably. This is the first time Sofia threw a real party, so you can understand why she would try to get rid of Sir Dax. We find out later on that Sir Dax wants to throw his party since he can only see his relatives every 100 years, and it's through a catchy song that pays a nice tribute to Disney Halloween specials. Eventually, things get a bit out of hand, and Sofia and Sir Dax work together to get rid of the ghost bats. In the end, they decide to share the castle, under a clever excuse, which gets across the moral on compromise. It's pretty spooktacular.

5. Winter's Gift

Date: December 12, 2014

Synopsis: "Sofia meets Winter, a girl faun who freezes everything she touches, and helps her to find the perfect gift for the mountain ice witch who can undo the snowy spell on Winter while she also tries to get a gift for Cedric."

Christmas is a holiday many people love, but it can be hard sometimes with trying to get the right gift. Winter is a character who impresses me in more ways than one. You definitely feel for her when she misused the ice power, and is more naive than stupid. Plus, she does prove to be pretty useful in the quest to the ice witch's lair, so she's not a regular damsel in distress. There's a running subplot about the rivalry between Whiskers and Clover, which is pretty fun, and Whiskers is just playful instead of mean. This leads into Clover accidentally getting frozen by Winter, and Tiana making an appearance. Through song, she says how the gift that matters most is one that comes from the heart, which is a pretty good moral. The episode ends with Winter being relieved of her ice powers, Sofia giving Cedric the wand case she made him earlier, and Sofia giving Baileywick the ice lilies she was originally giving to Cedric. It's pretty fun.

4. In A Tizzy

Date: March 27, 2015

Synopsis: "Sofia's village friend Ruby enlists the help of a fairy godmother named Tizzy to help her win a Dunwiddie Go-Carriage race."

I did not do this episode justice in my original review, so let's do it here. Many kids shows will show how teamwork can help you out, which is pretty good, but this episode shows how working alone can work too, something you don't see too often in media. This episode gives a nice layer to Ruby's character. She can be kind and fun loving, but we see how ambitious she can be in racing, which is pretty sweet. Even though she's relying on Tizzy for help, she remains likable since she's just doing what she thinks is right for both of them. Tizzy is a character who intrigues me. She wants to help Ruby make her dream come true, showing her good intentions, but doesn't do it too well. Instead of constantly screwing up, like SpongeBob and Patrick in "Good Neighbors", she's just being overbearing in a good way, like Baileywick in "The Buttercups". This all leads up to the climax where Ruby's magic powered cart crashes into a barn. With Sofia's help, she realizes that getting help is good, but it's also good to do things on your own, which is a good moral to learn. It's pretty cool.

3. Buttercup Amber

Date: July 8, 2015

Synopsis: "Amber agrees to go on a overnight hike with Sofia and the Buttercups."

I hope the Buttercup stories becoming a recurring plot thread because I see potential with them, like this episode. Although Amber is a jerk, she's still believable since she's not exactly an outdoor person. Plus, no one lashes out at her or anything, so everyone stays likable. With Sofia's help, she then makes the most of camping by giving it the Amber touch, so to speak. There's a running subplot with Ruby and Jade trying to find Mossy the Swamp Monster, and they're pretty fun when doing it. This leads to them, Ruby's mother, and Meg & Peg getting stuck in a ditch. With help from Mossy, who's revealed to be a friendly yet shy girl, Sofia and Amber rescue everyone with a makeshift rope, which gets across the moral on making the best of any situation. That's nice.

2. Sidekick Clio

Date: July 22, 2015

Synopsis: "When Clio helps Sofia practice for the upcoming school musical auditions, Sofia recognizes Clio's own talents and encourages her to audition too."

Yes, this episode impressed me enough for me to put it at number 2, even though it only came out a few days ago. This is an episode that a character like Clio needed, and I think the episode did the job. We see how much she likes to sing and express herself, which makes her a more dynamic character. She basically lets Hildegard walk over her, like in The Big Sleepover or Two To Tangu, where she likes to have fun, but holds back because of her, even if it was shown in small doses. There's some fun moments with how she and Sofia get ready for the play. The real kicker comes in at the end. Not only do we get a really good song, but we also get a nice development in the Hildegard/Clio dynamic as they both learn to not always do what others tell you to do. It's pretty sweet.

1. The Curse Of Princess Ivy

Writers: Craig Gerber & Erica Rothschild

Date: November 23, 2014

Synopsis:"When Amber forces Sofia to tell her the magical secrets of her amulet, she becomes jealous and selfishly takes it without permission and tries to use it to summon a Disney Princess. Unfortunately, taking the amulet counts as a bad deed, so it bestows a curse on Amber by summoning the venomous Princess Ivy, an exiled evil princess who plans to usurp the throne and turn all Enchancia black and white."

After all this time, "The Curse Of Princess Ivy" is my favorite episode of season 2. It's pretty much the culmination of everything I love about the show. It goes into the Sofia/Amber dynamic, which I love, and portrays both of them really well. Even though Amber did something really bad, she's still likable since she was conflicted in her behavior, and would do anything to fix her mistakes. At the same time, you can understand why Sofia would be upset since she had her trust broken. Princess Ivy is certainly a very fun villain with how over the top she is, and her underhanded methods fit her character. It's essentially one of the most epic plots the show has done considering all of Enchancia is in danger, which gives the episode a sense of excitement. The real kicker happens in the final act. Rapunzel comes in to save the girls, and tells Amber she has to prove she changed by risking it all, which is a good moral. At the end of the episode, Amber gets hit with a dragonfly instead of Sofia, erasing her memory, but returning things to normal. Even though she forgot what happened, she got a closer relationship with Sofia, ending my favorite season 2 episode on a good strong note.

Those are my 15 favorite season 2 episodes. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.

2. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I saw Sidekick Clio and it was adorable. I also saw Carol of the Arrow. It's like female version of Robin Hood. And Minimus is so cute and cuddly.

3. SweetShop209

Just to remind everyone that there's no new episode tomorrow, and that the season 3 premiere is on August 5.

4. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I forgot to post my thoughts on the season 2 finale, well it was good true to life, Cleo is the forgotten character, when I read the synopsis my reaction was who is Cleo again?, oh that who it is, it was a good episode, nice to see character development all around, and I love how Amber and the director used someone's ego to manipulate them, well played.

Now for the season 3 finale, I love the new beach vacation that the royal family wore, they looked great, I especially loved Miranda and Amber hair styles, enough of that this is a cartoon not a fashion show.

Anyway I loved the song, so catchy and loved that the villain turned out to be nice guy and showing what a big heart Sofia has and great to see our old mermaid friends. And poor Fluke, his parents must hate him to name Fluke.

Anyway great start to the season and can't wait to see where it goes.

#144 zoombie, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  5. SweetShop209

Cool Hand Fluke

Date: August 5, 2015

Synopsis: "Sofia returns to Merroway Cove and meets Oona's friends."

Here we have the season 3 premiere of Sofia the First, and a sequel to "The Floating Palace", my favorite season 1 episode, so you know this is a good one, and it was. Let me explain. While at Merroway Cove, The Royal Family decides to throw a celebration for the mermaids, and Sofia goes down to tell Oona. We can see they still have a good bond. It's there we meet Fluke, who's certainly interesting. He essentially feels overshadowed by Sofia because she's a princess, and he doesn't have that kind of power, making him sympathetic since we've all been overshadowed by people who are better than us or more powerful. While preparing for the ceremony, he, Sofia, and Oona get trapped by this giant manticore. After Fluke admits he was envious, he essentially uses his skills to outsmart the sea monster, which is pretty clever, and they end up befriending the manticore. It gets across a good moral on not feeling down on yourself when someone overshadows you. With the ending musical number taken into account, we have one good episode.

6. SweetShop209

Minimus Is Missing

Date: August 12, 2015

Synopsis:"Sofia, Amber, and James look for the missing horses."

Here we have the final episode to air for the summer, and it's a good way to go out. While practicing flying derby, all the flying horses go missing, so the kids go looking for them while riding Griffins from the jewel room. However, Amber is reluctant to do so since she's not sure what will happen, and I can see why she would be reluctant since she's not exactly keen on risky things. It turns out that a young wizard named Wendell hypnotized them so he can have them for his birthday. He may be bratty, but he's fun. There's some really cool action scenes with everyone trying to find the horses, but the real kicker is in the ending. With Sofia, James, the Griffins, and the horses trapped, Amber realizes she should do everything she can to free them and not act worried. Not only is that a good moral, but the way she handled things was clever, effectively making this a good episode.

7. J. D. Guy

J. D. Guy Member

Wendell was something else, my goodness! That song was so smug, yet so catchy.

Anyway, Amber was awesome at the end. Not the first time she showed she's not to be messed with when someone she cares for is in trouble.

All in all, very good episode, it a bit surprising on how it developed.

8. Baltofan2015

Baltofan2015 Banned

The Sofia the first cartoon sounds good.

9. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Sypnosis for upcoming episodes:

10. SweetShop209

11. SweetShop209

Cedric Be Good

Date: September 18, 2015

Synopsis: "When Cedric finally grabs Sofia's amulet and gets cursed by the gem, he often realizes that the amulet's powers are only granted through acts of kindness."

Cedric is a complex character in that he's not really evil per se. He just tries to steal the amulet to prove his worth as a sorcerer, and this episode proves why he's a good character. Yes, he does take the amulet, but you can understand his motivation since he's trying to confirm his self worth. Of course, he gets cursed by the amulet, which is how you do character torture correctly. We also get a subplot with Wormwood hanging out with Clover, Robin, and Mia, and it makes him more interesting since we know he doesn't have anyone personal to talk to. We naturally get more Sofia sweetness as she helps Cedric become a better person, and a nice duet between them. In the end, he learns how you do good deeds out of the goodness of your heart, and not for personal gain. It's a good episode.

12. zoombie

Cedric he is not really evil, he reminds me of the Brain from Pinky and the Brain in that he doesn't want power because he is power, but because he thinks deserves it.

Anyway this episode should mark the end of the whole Cedric wanting to steal the amulet arc, I mean two big reasons, first he succeeded he actually won, we saw what would happen if he did, and secondly we find out you can't use the amulet for evil or else you get cursed, usually such powers to take over the kingdom, it is just not going to happen. If Cedric still wants to take over the kingdom, he is going to find another way, because the amulet is useless for such a task.

13. SweetShop209

Princess Adventure Club

As the show goes on, we get more continuity callbacks and development of the side characters, and here's another example of how it's flawlessly executed. Princess Zooey decides to start a Princess Adventure Club in order to make new friends. However, she excludes Amber since she was rude to her for correcting her on a meteorite. This is another case where you can see both sides of the coin. Since Zooey is new and was genuinely trying to help Amber, you can understand her behavior when she excludes Amber. At the same time, you can understand Amber's behavior since she wasn't trying to be rude to her. As for entertainment, we naturally get a great sense of adventure with all the various locations the girls go to, and a fun rivalry with Amber and Zooey's clubs. After an awesome climax, we get a good moral on not excluding others. It's a good episode.

14. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Sypnosis for upcoming episodes

15. SweetShop209

Minding The Manor

Sofia the First is a show that can make any plot work, and that includes this episode. Aunt Tilly is setting up for a garden party, and needs some extra supplies, so she tells Sofia to watch over things while she's gone and set things up. Unfortunately, the gargoyles come to life, and start wreaking havoc. Now she has to get things back to normal. Doing any sort of care-taking is no easy task because you have to make sure nothing goes wrong, so you can connect to Sofia here. The gargoyles are definitely pretty fun with their oddities and menacing aura to them. It also ends on a good moral on how you can responsible enough to take on a big task. And then we have the ending, which sets up the next episode quite nicely. It's a good episode.

16. SweetShop209

The Secret Library

Writer: Craig Gerber

Date: October 12, 2015

Synopsis: “Sofia is given a special book, and has to rescue Minimus’ brother.”

Here we have the first part of the season's 4 part story arc, and it's pretty good. Sofia's amulet leads her to a secret library where she discovers books with unfinished endings. In one of the books, she discovers that Minimus' brother Masimo has been captured, and she has to rescue him with Aunt Tilly's help. This episode is just full of wonders, with great world building and a good background for Aunt Tilly. We find out more about Minimus' character and we get a good conflict for Sofia. She essentially thinks she can't accomplish a task as large as this, but with Merida and Aunt Tilly's help, she learns to have confidence in herself and use her skills to take on any challenge. That's a good moral. With a fun adventurous feel, we have one good episode.

17. zoombie

Now it makes sense how Sofia got the amulet from King Rowland and him having no clue about this power, now it all makes sense.

Well this was a good episode, and I love Sofia development.

18. SweetShop209

New Genie On The Block

Synopsis: “During a trip to the Kingdom of Tangu, Sofia accidentally releases a kid genie from a lamp who causes chaos throughout the kingdom.”

Some episodes execute certain morals better in certain parts of the world. In this case, it's the moral of following the rules, and it works well in Tangu. Sofia goes to deliver a magic lamp, but she accidentally lets the young genie named Cazeem out. Now she has to get him back before an important party. The idea behind a mischievous genie is a good one, and there's a lot of fun with the wishes Caseem grants. Plus, he's a good intentioned mischievous genie, so he stays likable. Sofia then teams up with the genie patrol to catch him. That right there is an awesome concept, and it's fun how he and Sofia play off each other. We essentially a fun high speed chase which leads to a moral on following the rules. It's a good episode.

19. zoombie

This week's episode is what I hope of the first post complete good Cedric episode. I am loving him as a full time goodbye, please let it stay that way.

Well it was a great episode, I love the whole anti bullying message.

20. SweetShop209

The Fliegel Has Landed

Sofia the First isn't your average kids show in that it can actually be pretty insightful at times, and this episode is a good example of that. Sofia plays hide and seek with the trolls. When Gnarly goes to hide, he runs into a Fliegel named Grotta who picks on him and forces him to get her a cave Crystal, and will turn him into a salamander if he tells. What we have here is essentially a bullying episode, and just like with "The Little Witch" and "Substitute Cedric", it manages to be really good. This episode manages to show what to do and what not to do when dealing with bullies in a tactful manner. As for Grotta, she's certainly an intimidating character with a fun, over the top personality. I commend Jessica DiCicco for giving life to her. It all ends on a nice moral on working together to take down a strong foe. It's a good episode.