1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney's Sofia the First

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by trance2009, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

2. SweetShop209

3. SweetShop209

4. SweetShop209

Elena And The Secret Of Avalor

Writers: Craig Gerber & Michael G. Stern

Directors: Jamie Mitchell & Mircea Mantta

Date: November 20, 2016

Synopsis: "Sofia must help Elena reclaim her kingdom."

Considering that Sofia The First turned 4 years old on Friday, this movie, which also serves as the pilot movie for Elena Of Avalor, is the perfect way to celebrate it. The movie starts with Elena telling Naomi of how she was freed from the amulet. Sofia is given a Secret Library mission to go to Avalor to free Princess Elena from her amulet. However, she has to deal with the evil queen/sorceress Shuriki, who was responsible for the demise of Elena's parents. The best thing about both shows is how they subvert your expectations. The moral involves teamwork, but it goes deeper than that. Elena, as established here, bears the weight of the world on her shoulders due to how she experienced a terrible event she had no control over, hence why she feels the need to do things herself. Sofia has chronic hero syndrome, where she does everything she can to help others no matter the cost, and usually tries to do so herself in order to protect her loved ones. This movie shows if they work together with others, they can move past that block and save the day, which is quite impressive. The stakes feel very large, we get a true blending of the two shows where they show off their strengths, and it's just an all around enjoyable experience with plenty of humor, heart, and awe. Sofia The First has definitely come a long way while Elena Of Avalor shows the potential for great things. I highly recommend this movie.

#184 SweetShop209, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. SweetShop209

6. SweetShop209

This feels appropriate. The Sofia The First episode "Dads And Daughters Day" won the Humanitas Award For Children's Animation. I can definitely agree with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SweetShop209

The music for season 4 has pwrapped up. There's still no word if season 4 is the last season or not.

8. SweetShop209

Day Of The Sorcerers

Writer: Laurie Israel

Date: April 28, 2017

Synopsis: "Cedric is torn between taking over the kingdom and keeping his friendship with Sofia."

Sofia The First has definitely come a long way in the four and a half years it's been on. I am happy to report that the show has gotten even better than before, as shown with the season 4 premiere. Buckle up kiddies. This is "Day Of The Sorcerers". The episode involves Sofia and Cedric going to a Day Of The Sorcerer's event at Hexley Hall. Cedric stumbles upon a society called The Order Of The Wand led by Grimtrix The Good and other Royal Sorcerers. Cedric decides to join them in their quest to take over their kingdoms, which crushes Sofia when she finds out that Cedric was planning to conquer Enchancia. This episode demolishes the status quo with not just Sofia, but also the whole royal family finding out his true intentions. That alone would've made this great, but there's more. The main theme of the episode is about change. Cedric, who's about the mind, wants to take over Enchancia to prove his worth as a great sorcerer. Sofia, who's about the heart, is all about seeing the good in others. What makes everything work though is that for all his flaws, Sofia accepts Cedric as a true friend. It also works on Cedric's end given that, for all his antagonism, his friendship with Sofia is very strong, and he can't bear to hurt her. These lite touches really bring things around. There's plenty of fast paced, but still very high suspense. The best part would be the two part moral on change. Part 1 is about seeing the good in others, and realizing they change. Part 2 involves realizing that you shouldn't force things to change in order to make yourself feel good. This is a great episode and a great way to start season 4.

9. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

It's about time that Sofia finds out of Cedric's true colors.

10. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well I thought Cedric made peace with this a long time ago, but I am glad we wrap Cedric's arc.

Anyway today's episode, I am glad the dragons and the sea monsters were able to work things out, now I ship them. Not all of them, but at least one of the young dragon and the sea monster nieces. That would be cute future episode we ever see these characters again.

11. SweetShop209

I forgot to post this a few days ago, but here's the trailer for the upcoming Mystic Isles movie.

12. bat16

bat16 Member

is the show ending at S4?

13. SweetShop209

The Mystic Isles

Writers: Laurie Israel & Rachel Ruderman

Director: Jamie Mitchell

Date: June 24, 2017

Synopsis: "Sofia and Amber go to the Mystic Isles to stop the Crystal Master."

Sofia The First has definitely come a long way in the four and a half years it was on. Today we look at the movie "The Mystic Isles" to show how this statement holds up. The movie starts off with Amber finding out about The Secret Library from Sofia. The two of them are sent to The Mystic Isles when the Crystal Master Azuirine plans to use the crystals on the Crystal Isles to drain the magic. The girls must work with Prisma, her sister, to stop her. However, Prisma is not who she says she is. First off, like "Elena And The Secret Of Avalor", this movie is 64 minute long, which definitely helps to increase the epicness of the special. What makes the heart of the movie is the Sofia and Amber's relationship is written. While Amber does accept Sofia as a sister and does what she can to support her, she also feels left out and suffers from an inferiority complex due to the various adventures Sofia has gone on. She tries everything possible to be special, usually something involving some kind of magic and/or magic jewelry. It actually works really well here. While Sofia does genuinely look out for her family, especially Amber, in a way, she also acts innocently insensitive by not putting enough trust in them. It's a very believable scenario that makes both of our heroines likable. This makes a great parallel with Prisma and Azuirine's relationship, only with the former acting very self absorbed. As per the course with the movies, it gets pretty epic with all the action and suspense. I normally don't comment on animation, but Mystic Isles looks stunning. It's like right out of a painting. The best part of the movie would be its two moral's.

Moral 1: You just need to realize that you have the potential to be a hero, as learned by Amber.

Moral 2: Show how much someone means to you by giving them a chance to shine, as learned by Sofia.

The only thing I can say is that I can't wait for the upcoming Mystic Isles episodes.

14. GershonB

GershonB New Member

Amber too has gained something from this. She might have lost her magic amulet, but she did gain a kingdom.

15. GershonB

GershonB New Member

You have to admit that Sofia has a talent for bringing out the best in people.

16. zoombie

Wow Amber learned about Sofia's amulet and didn't lose your memories, how do you like that, and after the reveal about Cedric, and what happens here, the show is really stepping up and not playing save with the status quo.

And that Amber song, that might be the best song on the show I have heard in a long time. Have to give Darcy some credit.

Love the episode and kudos to the team. Still in an Amber spotlight episode when she is the hero, it is Sofia it who has the villain vowing vengeance, so again Amber gets the short straw. LOL.

17. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Sofia is such a spoiled brat IMHO

This is probably due to her "becoming a princess overnight" just like the theme song states

She gets everything handed to her on a silver platter without ever having to work for it

18. SweetShop209

An upcoming episode, Princess Jade, will have Ruby and Jade's first appearance on the show since Buttercup Amber from 2 years ago.

19. SweetShop209

20. zoombie

Great for Sofia, but not one character from Little Witch Academia made the list, it is loses some credibility to me. Even if you don't like Akko, you have characters like Diana and Ursula, I mean come on Japan it is in your country.