1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney XD Orders Animated Series ‘Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero’

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by cakeface33, May 12, 2014.

1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

13 Big Problem: We get to see Boone's parents and hilariously they share the same voice (I thought it was gonna be Boone speaking for them in a flashback). The episode itself was alright, but an episode focusing on Boone isn't really that good. And I did not understand what the last low grade was for. But he moral was good about parents giving tough love.
    Sashi had the best parts of the episode. Especially when she kept saying "bomb".
    Like last time at the monster world, Rippen fires the missiles within city limits.
    Mr Rippen: This one gives us more info about Rippen and how he trapped Penn's parents. Even with the strange skin color, I didn't figure that Rippen was an alien, and I kind of thought his sister was in the same career as him with other heroes and villains being zapped into other worlds. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Larry surprises Rippen about his birthday and we finally meet his family, who are very judgmental of him as was hinted in previous episodes.
    We get back to pirate world and get the last crystal with Rippen finding out about it, and that his only successful evil deed will soon be undone, which will lead into the finale tomorrow which will be an hour long.

So far this season has revealed quite a lot of things. But it could've had more episodes to reveal other things, like How Penn's parents dealt with Rippen before being trapped, and what's the history of Phylis and Phil?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GershonB

GershonB New Member

I believe that those things will be resolved tomorrow.

I'll bet what Rippen's birthday wish was. He wished to blow out Penn's candle as well, and he will get his golden opportunity to do so tomorrow.

3. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Better get this outta the way...

13 Big Problems / Mr. Rippen (Mid High Tier / God Tier) -
    (1) -
    Just another episode meant to prove my point about Boone, and honestly - it's not bad, but it ain't nothing special, either. I admit it puts a smile on my face to see Boone do well enough to save the day once given a proper chance (too bad it's every now and then), but if he did that more often, combined with not being written like an idiot / load (but instead as more of a lovable oaf with some good ideas here & there.), I wouldn't have so many problems with him in the first place...

(2) -
    This episode is just another example of the kind of worldbuilding and sense of storytelling this show needed more when it first started out, similar to what we got in The Most Dangerous World Imaginable; we finally have an idea of how Rippen trapped the Zero couple and why Penn has it out to beat him so much, while sticking to a golden rule that the first season unfortunately missed: Show, don't tell. Just more proof Season 2 > Season 1 in damn near every sense, IMHO.

Furthermore, we see why Rippen is so messed: he wants to please his family and be an equal to his sister, but all this has done is made him miserable (he's not going to get it; I've seen these kind of problematic family affairs before - it rarely ends well for the one crying out hardest for attention from a family of jerks.)... I think it would be best if he dropped this crap and started over with his life; too bad it may be too late for that with where he is and what he's doing, coming up after this segment.

Final Episode... Here we come. Don't disappoint me, guys. Just don't!

4. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Mr. Rippen was pretty sweet,

Major focus on Rippen/Principal Larry, sweet:D.
    Rippen's birthday, sweet.
    Rippen's backstory how he first meets Principal Larry, sweet.
    Cool to finally see Rippen's family Hedwin/Axalon/Vlurgen, love them, evil sister Vlurgen needed major screentime back in Season 1, oh well.
    Rippen wanted to make his family happy which is great, but poor Rippen though:(.
    They turn out to be aliens, interesting.
    Nice how it hinted how Rippen trapped Brock/Vonnie.
    Cool seeing the Pirate World again:D.
    Cool seeing Maria.
    Rippen is gonna beat Penn though by the ending.

I'll enjoy the full hour Season 2 series finale.

#244 Radical, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  5. Triant

Triant Member

Minor spoiler

6. ShadowBeast

This was some finale. A final battle of heroes vs villains with many past characters showing up from different worlds. I gotta re-watch it because I think they pretty much killed off Butterman and The Snowman were killed off. Rippen ends up powering the last crystal with his own evil and ends up reforming after being saved by Penn. All within the first thirty minutes. While Penn falls, Rippens pulls Penn's parents out of the Most Dangerous World in order to help. Which leads to a gag of the characters saving each-other and failing at it because of something. When getting back up, Rippen tries to give a non-evil smile which just creeps everyone out (which leads him to saying "totally understandable"). Now it's time to close the portal to the Most Dangerous World with bombs. But not before sending a big chunk of the heroes/villains back. As the heroes/villains set the bombs, I wonder why the Island City President wasn't sent back. But Rippen proves very helpful with taking control of the green monster and taking down the giant fir-breathing chicken, which results with the other monsters fleeing. The bombs are set and is now time to remote-detonate them. Unfortunately Rippen had sabotaged some things before, including the remote. So now the bombs need to be detonated from inside the Most Dangerous World. Penn's parents elect themselves to do so again but Rippen volunteers to do it, and is joined by other characters from different worlds with of course Larry, who gives Old Man Middleburg his mansion back and calls for Tony to join him. Island City President joins for the sake of being with Larry and Starblaster who was impressed by Rippen's battling. They say their goodbyes and the portal is closed.
    While leaving the theater, Brock tells Phil that he needs to find new villains. But Phil says that won't be necessary. Phylis gives everyone their papers (except Boone), and then merges with Phil to become some energy being and flies away, both the theater and fish-stick place disappear, leaving empty lots. With no longer any heroes and villains to fight each other, everyone goes on to having everyday lives. Which is shown throughout the different worlds. Penn and his team thinks about doing some hero stuff in their own world (which is a fantastic message) and Penn and Sashi end up kissing while Boone finds the lost puppy. In the end Phylis/Phil arrives to wherever they went to and says that "Phase one is complete, commence phase two?". Leaving a small cliffhanger.

It was a great way to end the series. Sad how they won't be going to different dimensions anymore. liked how Larry wasn't overused here to the point of being his usual annoying self. It was funny when Rippened try to get him to not follow him with a hiddenly insulting way. Rippen wasn't only an alien, he was an alien with a tail.
    A few things that the show could've done was using Starblaster as a main villain again since the ending of her first episode implied that she would cause trouble again. Rippen's family could've been used more. But the show only had a limited amount time and episodes. It was fantastic that Adam West's characters were used one final time.
    I kind of wish Nug was accidentally left in Penn's world at the end, simply because she's obviously miserable being a satellite in her own world, and I think it would've been funny.

We got a little something about Phylis and Phil. But very little. No flashback of Penn's parents battling Rippen.

Both Captain Super Captain and his brother appeared in the finale. Gotta wait for it to go On Demand to see if the credits mentions Adam West.

• Like Like x 2
    #246 ShadowBeast, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I caught the credits during the second airing, yes it was Adam West reprising those roles. Got to love how he never stopped working until the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

GAME OVER.

At the End of the Worlds (God Tier)
    - Without saying too much, A bit of a slow start leads to a huge victory in the case of How Penn Zero ends... On that high note I was looking for and am very pleased to see.

+ Once things get going, however - where do I begin? Well, for one thing, that was a lot to go through, but I'm glad Penn got over his fears and did what he had to do; don't get started on that final battle, either - easily the best part, besides my next plus...

+ While it's unfortunate that I did predict it, I'm glad Rippen reformed (but what makes it A-OK with me? Not completely - hopefully, he'll be more awesome where he and those who followed him (e.g.: Larry, of course.) in are forever trapped.); besides which, that was some brilliant comeuppance at the same time, as well.

+ Yeah, it does suck that Penn and Co. can't go to all these crazy worlds, but they handled it maturely enough and do take to heart what Phyllis/Phil were trying to say about not stopping when it comes to making a difference. They're still kids, but kids with a sense of purpose - like it's always been for them.

So yeah - Penn Zero may not have been the most spectacular show Disney XD would ever put out, but that doesn't get in the way of a satisfying ending. Then again, where Season 1 was Mid High Tier material (IMHO) overall, almost everything Season 2 does is much better... And funnier (e.g.: High Tier material, again, IMHO.).

I can be sad this show is gone now all I want. Too bad what matters to me is that it wrapped itself up properly enough, any and all criticisms I have against it aside.

• Like Like x 2
    #248 I.R. Shokew, Jul 28, 2017
  9. ShadowBeast

Sadly like other top rated shows, it looks like Penn Zero will be disappearing from Disney XD's schedule after today.

Was there any "in memory of Adam West" like most shows do when an actor who had a role in a show do?

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that was something!
    I wasn't expecting so many characters to stay behind in The Most Dangerous World. It's nice Larry and Rippen found love though. (Speaking of Rippin, surprised it was revealed last episode that he's not from Earth. I thought he was just ugly.)
    The biggest surprise was that Phyllis and Phil were both one trans-dimensional being. That was pretty cool. Overall the ending was very interesting and unique.

All in all, Penn Zero was an alright show. The animation was good, par the course of Mercury Filmworks, and it was was creative. But I was still kept thinking of how similar it was to Walter Melon from the 90s. Granted, Walter Melon parodied various fictional characters both new and old, whilst Penn Zero did interesting spins on various genres for the most part. Overall the show felt more original. Just wish the show was funnier, Larry and Boone were less annoying (and seriously, why did Larry want to be a minion?), and they didn't revisit so many worlds (which admittedly from animation standpoint, made sense).
    Am I gonna miss the show? Nah. I rather get another season of Wander Over Yonder or Randy Cunningham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I kinda regret not seeing Penn Zero when it premiered. It was such a good show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

Man, the finale was the best, it took a lot of guts and went through far and wide to not only save the multiverse but to get Penn's parents back, we finally get to see all those villains and heroes from every multiverse that Penn, Sasha, and Boone had travelled, after they fought against each other while Penn is willing to get close to his parents before being interrupted by Rippen, who made Penn fall towards the edge, but finally was saved by his two best friends, and was able to land, and we finally see Vonnie and Brock, finally be able to get close to their one and only son, which it was heartwarming, we figured that Rippen decided to get them out of the portal, it seem like there was a slight change of heart that he either learned a bit from what Penn also heard from a guy, whose I can't remember the name though, the most interesting part is that some of the villains and heroes had to work together in order to save the multiverse from falling apart, which took a lot of effort of beating the monsters that was getting in the way, but it when they finally got all the bombs set, one was not working and I figured that someone like Rippen did something to cause, so he sacrificed himself to go towards the portal in order to save most everyone in the multiverse, but finally we get to see Lady Starblaster finally fall for Rippen, add Larry, alongside with all the other villains who joined along, which was sad and heartfelt, but they at least survived, and everything went back in balance, too bad we didn't get to see Maria, the girl that Penn has a crush on, able to share one last kiss before Maria returning to her world, it was kinda sad that Phyllis and Phil had to close the Odyssey and Phil's shop, and then I finally realized that both were once separate but now merged together into a new form of a being, the good part of the ending is everything went back to normal, with the multiverse settling out on freedom and peace and finally get to see the last part with Rippen and the other villains, and also, the good part is, we finally get to see Penn and Sashi finally kissed, which might indicate that they are probably going to be together.

Well

THAT'S ALL, FOLKS!!!

I remember when it first came out, I didn't bother it at first, but once I gave it a chance to explore and learned about the characters which it grew as my all time favorite, and I'm real going to miss this show and the characters.

But like they always say, they may be gone forever, but we will always remember it in our hearts.

I mean the era may be over, but the always be remembered.

Rest in Peace

Penn Zero: Part Time Hero

2014-2017

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. GershonB

GershonB New Member

The finale does leave a few questions unanswered though. For one thing, How did Rippen trap Penn's parents?

14. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

At The End of the Worlds was a pretty sweet epic series finale,

Penn, Boone, and Sashi's new suits were cool.
    Love the windmill monster, evil water wall, and dragon monster.
    Cool seeing Professor Evil Professor, Lady Starblaster, the Snowman, Butterman, and the other crazy villains.
    Cool seeing Captain Super Captain/the superheroes, Scaley Briggs/Amber, Female President, Hogarth, Blaze/the dragons, Sonny, and their other allies:D(except for Shirley B. Awesome, dislike her).
    A great final battle reminded me of Samurai Jack, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, and Fangbone! on their all-out final battles.
    Penn saving Rippen along with Rippen rescuing Brock/Vonnie was sweet.
    Penn reuniting with Brock/Vonnie was sweet/touching:anime:.
    Rippen reforming/turning good being an anti-hero ally was sweet:D.
    The group stopping the portal to The Most Dangerous World saving the multiverse/world was great, cool with Professor Evil Professor/Lady Starblaster being anti-heroes.
    Rippen's brave sacrifice was great, a great happy ending for Rippen/Principal Larry, nice they have girlfriends.
    Phyllis/Phil turning out to be an energy alien being was cool:D, their secret is out.
    Love Sashi's new look, Penn/Sashi the best couple.
    A great cliffhanger ending with Phyllis/Phil.

Season 2 was sweet, I'll miss the show, but I want another seasons of Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil, Gravity Falls, and Wander Over Yonder though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Overall fine series finale
    Questions were answered, plot threads were resolved, characters got proper send-offs
    just the Penn/Sashi ship at the end felt pretty forced, like pair them up just because they are the leads, typical Disney
    (still a better pairing than Danny/Sam tho)

• Agree Agree x 1
    #255 SaneMan, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  16. ShadowBeast

That was answered. Look at the previous episode called "Mr. Rippen". It shows how Rippen trapped them.

There was a couple of small hints during the series with Sashi's words of wisdom, but I do agree, them kissing was very sudden and out of no where. But I think Matilda/Alex ship was even more forced since it was apparently done to insure the Penn/Alex ship.

17. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I em more forgiving of that, seeing how those two were just background characters with very little relevance to the plot

But yeah, even Boone had more romantic chemistry with Penn than Sashi

18. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

And now, Penn Zero gets tossed into the "shows we don't rerun because they're not Phineas and Ferb, Lab Rats, Gravity Falls or Star vs. the Forces of Evil bin."

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. imanidrayton

imanidrayton Member

Same thing happened to WoY a few days after the finale, I wish it stayed a while like The 7D did.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

Damn this finale was wonderful if you ask me. It felt like they just really bombed us with weird stuff in the second half, but it worked. The Phyllis/Phil thing was pretty interesting and I love how they kind of gave a purpose to almost every character at the end.

I can definitely get all the criticisms this show gets but I always really loved it. And this finale definitey cemented this opinion.

My only complaint (other than the fact that we didnt see the top dragon world at the end) is the weird PennxSashi thing, it came absolutely out of nowhere.