1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney XD Orders Animated Series ‘Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero’

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by cakeface33, May 12, 2014.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't know why, but the unicorns being evil Australian stereotypes was so amusing to me for some reason. Silly as hell? Yes. But still very amusing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I think this Spirit Smasher job is the least villainous scenario Rippen and Larry have ever had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Be My Ghost: The mission Rippen and Larry had, made it look like they were on the good guy's side. Penn, Sashi, and Boone's outfits reminded me of Scooby Doo. Sonny's jokes on Boone were hilarious. And it seems Rippen can't stand Larry crying and sacrificed a win to make Larry happy.

Chinchilla: Now we know why that Chinchilla is always angry. Now we need to know why Sashi is always angry ;).

• Like Like x 1
  4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I was going to wait until all 4 premieres were made this week, but I'll go ahead, anyway - just so I don't forget. I'll post the next 2 soon (And I'll be very happy to, as well, knowing how they turned out being the best of these premieres for me...):

A Tale of Two Wizards / Rockullan, Papyron, Scissorian (High Tier, Mid High Tier) -
    (1) - This was a much better Boone - focused plot this time around, albeit Penn and Sashi's reasons for ignoring him like that is pretty predictable (surprise party planning... come on, now.).

I think what helps endear me to this setup is that this time around, Boone wasn't written like a load, and more importantly, didn't completely come off like one on purpose (hence him trying to do things on his own and me feeling sorry that it backfired on him, despite meaning well enough.) which is what should have happened much more often through the show's run than it has to begin with - thus helping him to look less dumb / more relatable as a character.

However, Rippen & Larry's predicament on their end of things with what they were building to ransack that castle with was definitely hilarious from beginning to end - and I do mean from beginning (build it) to end (its destruction by Boone, no less.).

(2) - This is another case where Boone was actually helpful to solving the problem (even if it was a dumb song, honestly.). The problem here was Sashi getting angry over nothing for this setup - I'm glad she calmed down with that to help everyone out by the end, but who gets that angry over someone not talking to you when they don't see you, despite them being your friend? That's just dumb.

Admittedly, getting past all that, I did get a laugh at of the Game of Thrones reference, which at least shows me there was a good idea here amidst how silly it otherwise was, honestly.

Be My Ghost / The Chinchilla (Mid High Tier, High Tier) -
    (1) - I gotta agree with those pointing it out by now, but also place my own opinion on this matter: Rippen & Larry's role here should have been for the Main 3. Something didn't fit with them being the ghosts, other than trying to scare Rippen for the hell of it...

I'll admit the ultimate resolve and setup to this was a nice little twist on things, but it's still nothing that can be considered groundbreaking - especially when this show has done better with this kind of throwing curve-balls at everyday roles before, IMHO. More importantly, I'd hardly call having a ghost around being good for any sort of business... which is why it feels awkward to have Rippen and Larry be the hunters, honestly.

(2) - Yeah... if earlier episodes didn't do a good job in pointing out why Penn misses his real family - I think this is a step in the right direction. Still nothing super spectacular, but I can feel for Penn's overall negative situation, thanks to how it's portrayed much better here, compared to the first time they did it. Makes things much more endearing, despite what we're heading into being silly as hell (but still entertaining enough for me.).

I mean, this is knowing what he's putting up with without real parents there to have moments worth a damn with like a real family should. Instead, we get a pet his (Penn's) aunt and uncle carelessly micro-manage (thus making them rather annoying characters as a result - TRUTH.), hence why said pet is always angry and troublesome, which makes sense, rather than taking care of their nephew who could use some real support in a rough time, like his real parents want to do, despite the circumstances.

I'll admit it's a relief that Penn and that chinchilla came to find a mutual respect - in that both don't have much love for said aunt and uncle... All for good reasons, too.

Overall, definitely nothing bad here, but nothing truly groundbreaking, either (IMHO), just yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ShadowBeast

The Kobayashis: What is wrong with Larry? He warned Rippen about eating those expired oysters, even though he's the one who fed them to him in his sleep. It's like Larry has this psychopath locked in his mind. Overall pretty good episode. Considering how "safe" Sashi's family is, no wonder she likes danger (still doesn't explain her rage issues;)).

Cereal Offenders: This one was even better. Milkman using Rippen and Larry was a bit predictable, but how he was using them was another thing. And technically Rippen and Larry were the ones to save the day this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JoeMabbon

I like to think that the people who made Foodfight! envisioned their movie being a clever take on the silliness of corporate mascots and advertising cliches. But they failed where the cereal episodes succeeded more or less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I.R. Shokew

Once more... Simply because.

The Kobayashis / Cereal Fugitives (High Tier, God Tier) -

(1) Admittedly abit of a slow start at first, but ultimately, it is a welcome site (IMHO) to see Sashi's parents accepting that what she's doing is dangerous, but are aware she can take care of herself just fine.

It being Larry's fault for Rippen not being there (due to something stupid and whatnot) was pretty predictable, however - that much is no surprise to me in any sense, despite everything else presented here.

To be fair, the core focus was not completely on the mission, but some actual positive character development for Sashi; too bad her anger issues could still use some work (one episode addressing that was never truly going to be enough. FACT.).

(2) Not too much (but thankfully, nothing bad, either.) to say here, IMHO – just a much stronger follow – up to Cereal Criminals (which was otherwise one of favorite S1 segments, but I digress.). I can more than admit it was a nice little twist on things to see Rippen & Larry be in the right about not trusting Milkman (and ultimately having to help stop him by the end) – after all, he was always the real threat here!

The Last Mountain Beast (God Tier) - compared to the first time Penn showed actual frustration and anger at his predicament (e.g.: S01E14) of not being able to just beam in and save his parents (as if it was ever going to be that easy, honestly.), I think they handled things far better here – what with that of our main character is going through and just how powerless and/or inferior he feels without that lifeline to help him out faster. It was only a matter of time before he would begin to properly snap from the situation he's in in such a manner. That's without going too far deep into it, of course.

More importantly, I feel this is something we should have seen more of in this series, but besides our resident bad guys being so easy to thwart, well – it was expected that he would have to hold in such negative feelings in the first place. If only so what came out here isn't happening all the time – it wouldn't be good for his character, let alone this show. That's all despite it being as lovely as it was for me to see some legit drama reflecting Penn's true feelings on this whole predicament he is in, making watching this show more engaging to me as a result – it shouldn't have taken so long is my real complaint to all of this.

As for Rippen and Larry – their moments did help to break up the tension and give me a good laugh, which is always nice enough. Also, the only other thing I don't agree with is the cartoonish bending of physics here with the moons, but that's nothing more than a nitpick for me, at this point.

So... 5 full episodes left (including the finale.). Let's see if these writers can keep up the good work from here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JoeMabbon

I don't know if I've complimented them recently, but this show has some inspired character designs.

Yeah, I can write that off as just part of this world's weird physics (moon's rise and stay in place?). I still feel like that could've been set up better, but not a deal breaker or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad they at least pointed out how weird that was.
    "I can't believe that actually work!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ShadowBeast

Ninki Ninja Fight Town: First thought that came to my mind when Sashi went through her transforming was that Right Now KaPow episode where Candy went through the same transformation and taking about as long. Figures Boone would be the reason why Penne wasn't "invited" to the party. He really is Penne's Larry.
    My Mischievous Son: First thing I thought of when seeing Rippen as a toddler was Stewie Griffin. Even had the red overalls. It seems that Rippen isn't much different from Heins Doofenshmirtz, Just has a sad life with the parents favoring the sibling. I think he's gonna end up being reformed in the end. He's already sacrificed two missions for the sake of someone else's feelings, and even helped stopped another villain this season. But back to the episode. I wonder what Larry's neighbor persona was based on? His wink after Penne drank some milk was funny, as was Sashi's constant use of her phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JoeMabbon

And Carl Winslow as the Sitcom Boss.

I think he's amalgam of Family Matters neighbor characters. Waldo Faldo's idiocy, Urkel's love of dairy...

#231 JoeMabbon, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  12. ShadowBeast

I wanted to say Urkel too. It must've been the dairy product-thing that got me thinking it. I think Waldo would be smart in comparison to Larry though. Boone might've been an Urkel reference as well with the snorting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GershonB

GershonB New Member

I wonder what Larry even sees in Rippen.

14. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Ninki Ninja Fight Town and My Mischievous Son were pretty sweet/enjoyable,

The whole anime parodied town and its people, awesome, cool to see another anime parody.
    Both Penn, Boone, and Sashi look awesome in anime form, but Anime Sashi is super hot after Star Trek Sashi:D.
    Love the rival anime kids Arata/Yumi/Hideo, Yumi the anime girl is SO CUTE/funny, go Hynden Walch(Starfire/Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum):D.
    Rippen/Principal Larry as anime villains was awesome/funny.
    Anime Penn's sweat attack was really gross, yuck:ack:!!!
    Anime Sashi's long Sailor Moon-like transform was hilarious, hahahahahaha:p.
    Mutated Anime Rippen was cool.
    Anime Penn vs. Anime Rippen was pretty great/funny.
    Boone's stupidity why Penn was not invited, hehehe, Boone is Penn's Larry alright.

The whole Sitcom parody world was great/hilarious.
    Both Penn, Boone, and Sashi in Sitcom form and their reactions to the audience was great/funny:p.
    Sitcom Teenage Sashi is pretty cute and her phone gag was funny.
    Rippen as the Sitcom Bratty Son was great/funny, nice Stewie Griffin reference, hahahahaha:D.
    Principal Larry as the Sitcom Neighbor was great/funny.
    Rippen having a sad tragic past like Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz, The Ice King, and Venomous Drool, poor Rippen.
    Second time Rippen sacrificed his mission for someone else's feelings, nice of Rippen though, both Rippen and Ludo will reform in the end:D.

#234 Radical, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  15. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I'm tired of "speed racer talk" in anime parodies, its not common enough to be funny anymore. I did however love the overly long magical girl transformation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ShadowBeast

Wasn't very impressed with these two. The plots didn't have enough substance to them.
    The Purple Guy: I guess we now know what happens to the civilians that the heroes and villains replace. They just black out.....I guess. The plot wasn't......It felt a little too random. Though Boone was right about the bagpipes.

Rootilda: Now we know where Boone was all this time during the last they went to Plant World. Orchird being the kidnapper was too predictable. Wasn't even good at it since Boone got away an hour after being kidnapped. I was hoping Rootilda or even Larry was the real culprit just for surprise-sake. Rippen being constantly insulted by the newspaper media and then suing them was hilarious.

The next episode sounds like it's gonna focus mostly on Penn's parents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I.R. Shokew

Ninki Ninja Fight Town / My Mischievous Son (Mid Tier, God Tier) -
    (1) -
    Honestly, I think those side characters our 3 MCs were hanging around with have a point about Penn being so self - conscious about being laughed at / thinking he has to act "cool" to get people to like him; I agree - it's just shallow and doesn't endear me to Penn as a character. Also, it's Boone's fault he's even acting like this by not inviting him to said party they were going on/off about, which is what really hurts this segment for me and highlights why Boone is my least favorite character to talk about, unlike Larry (who, again, is at least a funny idiot, IMHO.).

TBQH, I've seen too many parodies of anime in the eyes of Westerners by now to really appreciate what they were going for here. I hesitate to say it was bad, just nothing special to me. Then again, I ain't no anime fan in general; I just know there's more to such animation (especially over the recent decade) than that, hence why it's smiled upon, compared to Western animation, unfortunately.

(2) -
    This particular segment, however - was awesomely hilarious as hell. Just further proof to me this show is funny when it doesn't try so hard to be; however, I just hope this is the only time they come to 80's sitcom world - some things are best left one and done, after all.

After what we've learned about Rippen here, I think it would be best if he reformed at the end of this series. It would all be for the best after hearing that sad bit of backstory, IMHO - all this being a villain thing isn't doing anything for him - other than losing to a bunch of high school kids just for some small bit of recognition he has yet to gain. It's no way to go through life, honestly.

That Purple Guy / Rootilda (Mid Tier, Mid High Tier) -

(1) - The world of That Purple Girl is definitely not one that needed revisiting, honestly. Especially knowing how the only thing that stood out to me in that Season 1 effort: the girl being made to suffer for being so shallow - not to mention Penn and Boone coming off so damn punch-able as hell, resulting in that whole effort being such an annoyance to me.

At the very least, Penn and Boone are handled in a much less punch-worthy matter, that - and I did manage to get some more laughs than I expected to (or maybe that's because Season 2's humor feels less try-hard in general) - everything else here just feels rather forced / rushed (e.g.: the wedding in question), hence just not doing much for me - despite it being much funnier than the first time they came here, IMHO.

It's times like this where I think it would have been awesome (and would have ended much better) if Rippen and Larry destroyed this place. They'd only be losing villain points for preventing a bad marriage in the making, but who cares - villainy is villainy, right?

(2) - I'll admit this is the better of these two, partially because seeing Penn trying to monologue to himself, while embarrassing, was funny enough. The problem here that keeps it from being anything special (High Tier, at best.), as well as a bit rushed? It was just too easy to put 2 and 2 together.

3 episodes left - and I don't feel we're putting our best foot forward with the time we have left, IMHO. I hope these writers have something in these 3 episodes to rectify this...

#237 I.R. Shokew, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  18. ShadowBeast

I found both these episodes to be pretty good.
    The Most Dangerous World Imaginable: I called it yesterday. At first I was figuring this was gonna be the episode that Penn rescues his parents since there is only two episodes after this, with the finale dealing with something bigger. It was obvious that Brock was luring the monster chicken on purpose. Didn't expect for it to be for flowers, and that the inside had a.......town? Despite that universe being the most dangerous, Brock and Vonnie were able to make some friends.

Trading Places: This would be the second episode where it takes place mostly in the character's own world instead of a place they were zapped to. Before getting zapped back out Rippen loses once again thanks to Larry. Makes me wonder if Rippen would be a lot more successful without Larry and that Penn has been mostly lucky with his victories because of Larry.
    I was wondering how the "trading" would work. I was figuring that Rippen and Larry would trade jobs for the day or Rippen would overthrow Larry somehow. But having them switching bodies works. Can't blame Rippen for ending up not wanting to switch back since he gets Larry's mansion and fortune and doesn't have to park in his usual parking spot. He even outsmarted Penn and his team. It was funny that as soon as Rippen and Larry switched back Rippen agreed that his body was itchy and went to the intercom to request some lotion for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I.R. Shokew

Okay, then...

The Most Dangerous World Imaginable / Trading Faces (God Tier / High Tier) -
    (1) -
    Gotta be honest - it's nice to see Penn's parents being awesome in such a messed setting that they can't easily escape; furthermore, the dialogue between them and Penn is pretty damn endearing and heartwarming on its own merits. While it is a bit hard to describe all the chaos going on here, it was entertaining enough to watch these 2 celebrate their anniversary in such harsh times - anything to keep you from going crazy in such a place, right?

Seriously, though - I think this show would have benefited more if we got more episodes focusing on these 2, besides just Penn and Co. It would have fixed a lot of issues this show has - as we'd getting some insight not only into Penn's situation, but also his parents', as well, giving things a lot more weight, even if it was just a handful of them. Anything to make this show not try so hard with being a comedy (or at least not focusing so many episodes on Boone being an idiot / screw-up instead!).

(2) -
    A tried-and-true setup (body switching, with Rippen and Larry), but at the very least, it was handled well enough to be worth a damn, even if this is just more filler until something big happens (e.g.: the finale).

Plus, it helps out royally that they made the right choice of characters for it (as mentioned in my first sentence.), making it funnier - again, proof that this show can be when it ain't trying too hard with it. However, I've more than made than clear by now in previous critiques for this show's 2nd (and last, unfortunately) season - still better than the 1st was at this, anyway.

Without going too deeply into things here, I can easily say that if Rippen was in Larry's position for real, this show would've ended badly for Penn and Co. much earlier - that would not have been fun to watch, either - high school sucks and feels like prison enough, after all. No need for Rippen to be in Larry's position to make it worse - that's villainy beyond villainy, m8 - slow down!

Glad to see we're putting our best foot forward for what little time we have left here. However, there are still 2 episodes left. Please don't disappoint me, guys.

20. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Both Rootilda, The Most Dangerous World Imaginable, and Trading Faces were pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Nice seeing the Plant World, Sunflower Sashi is cute.
    Narrating Boone annoying Penn/Sashi was funny, hahahahahaha.
    Rippen cool as an evil tree.
    Rippen suing the newspaper media was hilarious, hahahahahaha:p.
    Penn trying to monologue to himself was funny.
    Principal Larry's funny part, hahahaha.
    Fern, my favorite great minor villainess, I knew she's the culprit, hehehe:p.

Penn's moments with Brock/Vonnie were sweet.
    Major focus on Brock/Vonnie was pretty sweet/enjoyable:D.
    Both the giant chicken monster, Piv, and The Merchant, my favorite great minor enemies.
    Both the robot pterodactyl and Piv anti-hero friends for Brock/Vonnie was great:D.
    That's the most dangerous world ever:eek::ack:!!!!!
    Brock's flowers for Vonnie were great.

Major focus on Rippen/Principal Larry, sweet.
    Nice seeing Phil the Male Phyllis.
    Both Rippen/Principal Larry body switched was enjoyable:p.
    Nice that Rippen wins, but with Rippen as the principal to abuse the power take over the school and turn it into a prison, super horrible evil there:eek:.
    Tony the cute elephant the best.
    Nice that Rippen/Principal Larry are back in their old bodies.