1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Lord Hater, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Jovan

Jovan Member

17th July
    Girl Meets World 2,369,000
    Miles from Tommorowland 1,683,000
    Dog With A Blog 1,631,000

19th July
    K.C Undercover 2,166,000
    Liv and Maddie 2,245,000
    Best Friends Whenever 1,958,000

2. GrantM

GrantM Active Member

Has Gravity Falls ever done that good of a number before?

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Wait, I'm confused; a report last week said it was 1.91 million. And reports are now saying Not What He Seems had 1.51M on it's premiere which I swear said 2M before. Huh?

#23 Toon4Thought, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The 1.91 million is the number reported the following day, usually at Showbuzz Daily. The 2.3 million number is called the "Live +3" number meaning it accounts for people who recorded it on DVR and then watched it within 72 hours of its premiere, which is why that number is higher.

Speaking of Showbuzz Daily, they have Monday, July 20, numbers available now, and for Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, it had 665,000 total viewers to rank in the Top 100 of cable, and for Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero, it had 474,000 total viewers and was outside the Top 100.

5. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

#25 Gatordragon, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  6. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

I believe you can just ask him in the comments and he'll respond. At least that's what I've seen him do previously. EDIT: I've asked him and am waiting response.

FINAL EDIT: Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja at 9:00 PM on Monda, July 27: 313,000 - check comments on that article

#26 Riley, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. Amy

Amy New Member

What do you guys think the viewership for "Descendants" will be? I predict it should get at least 6 million viewers and the fact that it has over 1 million views on the WATCH Disney App ahead of its television premiere.

8. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

On the optimistic side, it'll get 4 million or under. But realistically, it'll get 6 to 8 million.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Looks like a lot of people watching Gravity Falls didn't stick around to check out Wander...that's disappointing. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Honestly, Wander doesn't get enough attention in general. I've known very few people who have even heard of it. It's a shame, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #31 Toon4Thought, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  12. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Pretty good ratings for Gravity Falls. The numbers for Wander are good, I believe, but it'll be interesting to see how it does without a new GF near it.

13. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Yeah, Gravity Falls is the only show on Disney XD that gets more than 1 and 2 million viewers. So I think a lot of people who watch Gravity Falls, don't even watch cartoons.

14. PhineasPines

PhineasPines Member

I remember Sam Levine (co-creator of Penn Zero) said that the ratings for PZ are doing well. Since PZ gets around 300,000 to 500,000 views for its new episodes, I'm guessing 600,000 for Wander is actually pretty high. It's really hard for me to understand what are good and bad ratings for sub channels, especially DXD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WingedArtist28

I think it depends on what Disney XD's targeted demographic is aiming for (Mainly Boys 2-11/6-11 and Kids 2-11/6-11; optional demographics as bonus are Adults 18-49, Teen/Adults 12-34, Girls 2-11/6-11, etc.)

And the Live +3 could be stressed on how much viewers (kids and us fans) rewatch it to add the numbers along with Online Watch Disney XD Apps Users.

It isn't like the other channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX or others that usually look at Adults 18-49 at Live + Same Day only, and maybe DVR, and most certainly Online Viewing.

I heard that Frank Angones pointed that while numbers are key to know which shows have buzz, it's mainly the word of mouth, season to season quality, network interests, branding, etc. A good rule of thumb is that if we are watching, talking about it, and loving it, then the show is doing pretty good so far.

Gravity Falls' numbers at 1-2 million for recent episodes could be a VERY BIG BONUS for the demo viewers which made EXTRA buzz for Disney to make more merchandise (video game, Journal 3, etc.). Though, with Alex's plan to make it a limited series at 3 seasons or a series finale film, the way a series ends would be up to the creators (like how Phineas and Ferb ended).

As for Wander, Disney Channel obviously gave it much wider access to be aware of the characters and cartoony adventures before moving to Disney XD. My guess is that Wander's ratings for Season 2 could be steady with enough viewers at this level because Craig mentioned that the network loved the show (and part of its top priority including Gravity Falls) and are excited with new songs, new challenges, new cartoony venues, new villain, and its story arc that can have lasting appeal despite not breaking the 1 million record used by Gravity Falls, Lab Rats, and Mighty Med.

The 7D started out at 500,000 viewers in its debut, but some articles said that it has "strong" ratings at that range which kept going like that to renew a second season to debut next year (December 2 when one episode was at 260,000). Oh and it had an app that went up to 1.8 million downloads.

I think Disney XD cares more on the buzz of the shows to get fans, kids, and families talking about it (Twitter, Tumblr that most of the crew are in to interact with fans, Facebook, Disney Stores requests of merchandise, etc.) despite its half a million viewership. And with online viewings added to help better see other venues of watching legally, that adds too.

I'm no expert on how each network owned by big corps. determine which shows have more viewership, buzz, etc. but that's just my guess or close to reasonable approach to what business model Disney XD uses to ensure much buzz on each of its shows. Mainly, are the kids, familes, and fans talking about their favorite shows often and making requests for merchandises?

• Informative Informative x 3
    #35 WingedArtist28, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  16. WingedArtist28

I think I found the sources from Sam Levine mentioning about Penn Zero's ratings being solid despite staying in 300,000-500,000 views, or at least in a few ones.

http://samakaphyllis.tumblr.com/post/117099472310/youve-doomed-us-all-jerk-look-at-that-you-go
    http://samakaphyllis.tumblr.com/post/115411475960/youve-doomed-us-all-jerk-penn-zero-is-such-a

17. WingedArtist28

To fans of Wander and other shows on Disney XD: I asked Frank Angones about the numbers (in light of The Greater Hater), and here’s what he says. I think you’ll feel a bit better:

http://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr...ce-the-ratings-were-announced-for-the-greater

FRANK ANGONES’ REASONS ON NOT WORRYING ABOUT THE RATINGS:

1) The “ratings analysis” I see on here is usually INSANELY flawed. It’s not actually looking at demographic distinctions, age ranges, markets, comparisons to competing networks, and a thousand other things that are taken into account. Also, unless the people writing these articles are in fact execs at the Disney Corporation, I don’t know how they can say we were “disappointed” or that the ratings were “lower than expected”.

We were OVER THE MOON with our ratings. My jaw literally dropped. Because where you’re hearing “not as big as Gravity Falls,” we’re hearing “biggest Wander premiere in XD history,” “holding steady from Gravity in key demographics,” and “beat Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, networks that are in easily twice as many homes as XD”.

End of the day, worrying about the numbers isn’t your job. Heck, it isn’t even my job.

2) I honestly believe this kind of talk is detrimental to the fandom’s enjoyment of the show. How can you (or new viewers) enjoy these awesome new episodes if you’re constantly worrying about how many other people are also enjoying them?

I get that you guys worry because you love the show and want it to be around for a good long time. But when someone jumps on the tag and sees people fretting over a show’s popularity, it can actually dissuade them from checking it out. Which is crazy because you guys are just at the start of a big, crazy, AMAZING season of cartoons. The Greater Hater was just the tip of the iceberg.

But, because you’re awesome, and because you’re Wanderers, I know you guys want to do something, ANYTHING to help. The best way to make sure more people catch the show: keep doing what your doing!

Let’s see even more chat, theories, art, mashups, questions, AUs, OCs, etc.! Because the thing that’s gonna help grow the show isn’t how many people watch it, it’s how much people love it and show others how MUCH they love it!

So quit you’re worrying about the numbers.

You guys should be WAY more worried about who’s gonna survive Dominator.

- Frank Angones, Story Editor of Wander Over Yonder Season 2

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    #37 WingedArtist28, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  18. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

19. Lord Hater