1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney is Remaking "The Lion King"

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by 19MagiswordLane, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

They should release some artwork soon. I still can't imagine it and still don't know what it could add. Is it gonna be like that Dinosaurs film?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Have you seen Jungle Book? I expect the animals to look like that.

Anyway, good for Glover. He'll be in a Star Wars film, a Spider-Man film, and now this. Also very happy to see James Earl Jones reprising his role.

For Scar, I really want them to get Mahershala Ali.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

At least a James Earl Jones is back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. It's going to be photorealistic lions on a live action environment. So yeah, the comparison to Dinosaur is pretty apt, I'm kind of surprised it took this long for someone to shoot a movie like that again. Mahershala Ali is a very good choice for Scar, now that I think about it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I love that idea of Mahershala Ali as Scar! Nice man. The Jungle Book was so good, I'd be up for this movie for that and the voice cast alone.

Donald Glover has certainly made it big with Ultimate Spider-Man, Adventure Time and Community under his belt plus Atlanta and the movies you mentioned.

James Earl Jones returning as Mufasa is quite interesting since he recently reprised his role as Darth Vader in animation (Rebels) and film (Rogue One). Definitely cool stuff overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Checkerboard

So basically Disney's African Cats in the Lion King universe with CGI. The other question is: Can it surpass the original and how? Will it be a remake, reboot or something else? I presume it will follow the Jungle Book formula?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it will just be a remake just like with their other live action movies based on animated movies. I'm not sure if they need to do a reboot per say or what they could get out of it by going in that direction. As for if it can surpass the original, I don't know if anyone can really answer that. A lot of people will stick with the animated classic, but I don't think that necessarily means a remake can't offer anything new or a different take on the story. I'm still not sure if I'm going to see it because of my love for the original movie, but I don't think I want to completely dismiss the remake at the same time either.

Although, I still find it a bit odd for them to remake this when it's just going to be realistic CGI animated animals. At least with the Jungle Book, there were some human characters in it, so the process of making it live action didn't sound as strange compared to something like the Lion King.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Checkerboard

When they first announced it I initially expected to see people in costumes. Not kidding. The thought of them basically remaking the original by blending live scenery with CGI characters occured to me only later on, because from the start I don't see the point - except potential money of course. The costumes, as badly as that would probably look, would at least add something new. This will be Jungle Book minus the humans. I'm going to wait and see, I am curious, but I don't think that this kind of take has the potential to be something great. At least not as big of a potential as the other film brands they've decided to bring back to life. Imo it will look awkward. Although the CGI is very advanced, I don't think it's perfect enough yet for this. What would be more interesting is to bring in the human elements in the form of a he/she and make them the lion kings. But hey, even if this ends up being a flop it doesn't really matter. One, it's not our money. And two, Disney is so wealthy that one bad film for them is nothing. The only real issue is damage to the legacy of the first film and the brand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Disney has been using Lupita Nyong'o a lot, so it wouldn't surprise me if she tries out for a role.

Now my other concern- WHY. Not all of their canon films need to be remade. Beauty and the Beast I could see, because it was live action before they made their adaptation. (Remember that show?) But I will be really disappointed if they try to remake Aladdin. NO ONE can replace Robin Williams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I used to think that, but I've gotten over that now. I think the success of The Jungle Book showed Disney that they could make a whole movie with CG animals and people would buy into it. The Jungle Book barely had any humans and the only main one was Mowgli so I think that was a confidence booster to make a CG Lion King and I can actually see it. Imagine if The Jungle Book didn't have Mowgli in it. It would still be fine, right? It's just The Jungle Book without Mowgli.
    I don't think they would try to replace Robin Williams but rather find someone who fits the role. I know Williams commanded that role, but it's not impossible for someone else to play Genie. We've already seen it on stage, and I certainly wouldn't let nostalgia blind me from accepting anyone else in the role.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Besides, they already replaced Robin Williams a few times - for the second Aladdin film, and for the TV series, and while I'm not saying that Dan Castellaneta was quite as good as Williams, he was still solid.

12. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

13. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Gee, I wonder what makes him think that? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I think it's kind of a good sign in that he recognizes that there is a difference between adapting something like The Jungle Book and The Lion King. They're both nostalgic and plenty of people would have grown up watching The Jungle Book too, but Lion King is still more recent and more popular out of the two. There's definitely a different set of expectations for a more popular and beloved film getting a remake than when an older film gets that treatment.

Granted, it's true that you can't please everyone regardless of your efforts and that's important to keep in mind too, but recognizing the differences between his two remakes already is kind of promising in a way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Checkerboard

Instead of remaking Lion King, basically just a generic CGI reimagining with pretty landscapes, they should've greenlit a live Aladdin. At the very least that would've been contemporary and trendy and would do more for Hollywood than this Lion King attemp ever will.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that I heard somewhere that they were starting to look for actors for a live action Aladdin movie. Even if that isn't true, I'm sure that it will happen eventually, although finding someone new to play Genie will be pretty sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Checkerboard

Live Aladdin will be a controversy in every regard, much bigger than Lion King, especially the casting. But hey, if Disney wants money...

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And they do indeed want money. I am fine with the idea of live-action Aladdin. It would work more than live action Lion King and it could be interesting if they get the right people involved. I just think people would generally still be pretty sad to see someone else play Genie since Robin Williams passed on not that long ago. I'm not sure if it would necessarily create controversy, but there would be debates over their choices for the cast regardless.

• Agree Agree x 2