1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney is Remaking "The Lion King"

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by 19MagiswordLane, Sep 28, 2016.

1. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Why?! I mean just, why?! What's the point of remaking it?!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

....why? You're just exchanging one form of animation for another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Is it animated or live-action? If it's live-action then we should've seen it coming ever since they started producing those live-action Disney movies like The Jungle Book, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Tarzan. No surprise here.

5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Disney is remaking Tarzan too?

6. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Why remake a perfectly made movie?..........Oh right, money.
    But seriously, if they are going with a live-action then I can get behind that, since it sounds interesting. Hopefully the music will be similar.

7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I guess Hollywood and the press thinks Photorealistic Animation is the same thing as live action. At least they're not making WDAS do this?

8. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

So essentially they are going to reuse The Jungle Book technology but for a different group of talking animals on a different continent. And no humans to make you feel anything among all the scenery.

I found The Jungle Book remake to be pretty dry and soulless personally, so the same thing here where you take all the personality out of the cartoon characters and badly cast celebrity voiceovers probably won't do it for me either.

• Like Like x 1
    #8 ToonLoon, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't think the live action remakes are all that bad. However, if this is just going to be 100% realistic CG then what is the point of remaking it? This is especially true since TLK was an original story and you can't really do a different spin on the source material (such as Jungle Book).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

Well, it was as original as Kimba meets Hamlet can be.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this. If it's just going to be CGI, then I don't really see the point of remaking the movie. It's still animation, so it's not like having more realistic looking animals is going to make a difference. Live action could be interesting, but it still makes me question why they'd want to remake something with animals like that, besides the obvious money.

A part of me isn't too surprised. With how many remakes they've been going for lately and after the success of the Jungle Book remake, I thought that we'd get something like The Lion King down the road. I just didn't think it would be this soon that they'd announce it. This is one of the few cases where a movie that I really love and have a lot of nostalgic memories attached to it is getting a remake, so that does feel kind of weird. I can always just ignore it, which I might end up doing, but it does feel strange all the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the Jungle Book was one of the best films this year, so I'm all for this, especially with the same director.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

14. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

The latter I can get behind since there is still plenty from the original source material to work with, but the former is honestly pushing it quite a bit. I guess these live action remakes are becoming what the direct-to-video movies were to Disney in the 90s and 00s, pointless moneymakers. But at least the remakes so far have been hit or miss, unlike to direct-to-video movies which were generally fixed on the latter.

15. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Not sure how can a live version work. It would be really hard to pull off unless you want a lot of CGI in which case there's no point. Isn't The Lion Guard enough?

16. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's going to be like Dinosaur (remember that?); CGI characters in a live action setting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Lion Guard works as a nice way to introduce the characters and world to kids, but considering how huge the movie was back in the day, they wouldn't settle on just a new animated series. I'm still not sure how it will work out either since it's just going to be a ton of CGI. There aren't any human characters like in the Jungle Book to make the concept sound a bit more reasonable either.

18. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Glover as Simba is actually pretty inspired casting. The movie still feels pointless, but at least Gambino's getting more high-profile work.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty awesome news. I could see Donald Glover doing a good job voicing Simba and James Earl Jones keeping his role as Mufasa is great too. I'm still not sure why they bothered to remake this when the characters are still going to be animated, beyond the obvious money reasoning, but at least the cast already sounds promising.

• Agree Agree x 1