1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney, "Creative theivery at it's most blatant"

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by nightwing_38116, Jun 15, 2001.

1. nightwing_38116

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

If people are going to crucufy Disney...

Don't crucify them just because they "borrow" from other sources for their movies. Truly, now, haven't just about ALL their animated movies been "borrowed" from other sources? Now they are turning their attention away from fairy tale books to Japanese animation. You can't seriously exect them to get truly original ideas now, can you?

Borrowing from foriegn films has been quite common. Big Daddy is more than likely borrowed from Kolya
    [​IMG]
    I don't know for sure, but the plots of both movies sound similar enough. City of Angels is just an Americanized Wings of Desire. And I am sure I could think of more examples later on, but this is a pretty common practice.

3. nightwing_38116

That's more that borrowing. Oh, Big Daddy sucked anyway.

4. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Another thought

At least with Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid and the sort, we knew the source material from which Disney was lifting. Outside of anime fans, who is going to really know where Disney got the idea for Atlantis from? The least they could do is go on record and say that Atlantis is their updated version of Nadia.

I will see Atlantis, but I am definitely getting the Nadia DVD from ADV next month!

5. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Well, there is the ever so slight problem of copyright infringement, Cap. It's one thing to retool public domain books like The Little Mermaid or old oral tales like Cinderella, it's something else to copy recent, protected work and pass it off as original. They really could have been sued for The Lion King; only the admiration for Kimba's creator got them off. I don't know how close Atlantis is to Nadia, but if it's the same, Disney could be in trouble. You are right; this is part of a broader lack of originality from major studios.

Big Daddy wasn't much of anything like Kolya. Sandler's film has him adopt a child as a tool to get women and went for big laughs as he became a father. Kolya has the man marry for money only to be temporarily stuck with a new stepson when the woman defects, and plays the new fatherhood sweetly. (Kolya is one of my favorite movies. That little boy is so cute!)

6. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

And that's all I'm saying about Disney. They have to give credit where credit is due. It's not like they don't have the money to pay the creators of Nadia a royalty for Amercanizing their project. I hope somebody does sue Disney for this. Give to them what they have coming!