Disney Channel Talkback-Gravity Falls "Scary-oke" [8/1]

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by CoolEric158, Aug 1, 2014.

1. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Plot: The Pines family begin resolving to get back to normal after the Lil' Gideon incident. They throw a "Mystery Shack is Back!" party, but some unwelcome guests intend to crash it.
    Tho
    ughts?

2. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

Grunkle Stan is Ash Willams with a bat and a problemmatic digiestive system, also Soos is much smarter as a zombie

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I can't even think about where I should begin with this. This episode just had so much going on, nearly all of which worked so extremely well. I would say this is on par with such a fantastic series, but even that's not true, as this long-awaited season premiere, to put it simply, went above and beyond on nearly every single regard.

While the story is told in a somewhat silly manner, they manage to work in just enough horror and emotion to keep me on the edge of my seat the whole way through, and of course the comedy delivered and then some with practically every joke hitting home. I mean, this blend of comedy and drama is right there with some of Dreamworks' best films, it's that good.

The characters were also among the highest points. Apart from the charm of seeing Dipper continue to unlock the town's mysteries, and seeing Mabel be... Mabel, we get Grunkle Stan seeing some well-deserved and fantastic character development and many past characters returning for a reunion of sorts, and man was it great to see them again. It truly felt like the show was back and better than ever.

Even the colors and dramatic effects were extremely above-average for this show, as was the staging as a whole. The climax was an effective lighthearted way to wrap things up (let's face it, after such dramatic moments, we kind of needed that - yeah, the singing isn't the best, but I doubt this is meant to be taken seriously), and I can only wait to see what will be in store for this season. If this season maintains this kind of quality... I'm not even sure how I will feel, it's so high up.

Best episode ever.

4. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Tough as talons! Ca-caw!

This episode was good. Nice to have this show back, and on a channel that I can watch.

Everything picks up right where it left off.

That is a slow loading time. Dial-up is quicker than this.

Uh oh, government agents are coming. Considering the horrid creatures the mystery gang fought, the men in black better bring their triple a game.

The Mystery Shack is back in business, boyos.

No Dipper, don't tell the agents your secrets. Ever heard of cover-ups? They might unperson you.

Dipper not joining in Mabel's karaoke chant got a good chuckle out of me.

I used to have a karaoke machine. It was before I learned how to somewhat decently sing.

Everyone in town is at the party. I know most of their names, surprisingly enough.

Boo, Grunkle Stan has a magazine stash of fully clothed ladies. What are you, from the 1890s?

Grunkle Stan is one step ahead of Dipper.

Perfect. The agents aren't convinced. I've seen weirder monsters in a Dungeon and Dragons handbook.

Rise from your grave! Dipper's getting his necromancer on.

Heh, Grenda must've got the idea of Candy riding in her backpack from Banjo-Kazooie.

Quick, get some plants. They're a good defense against zombies on your lawn.

That zombie movie training did real well for you didn't it, Soos? You won the record for getting bit the fastest.

Nice dodge for a zombie, Soos.

Swiftness and smarts? Zombie Soos is the zombie boss.

Oh yeah, Grunkle Stan is a zombie fighting master. His attire reminds me of Frank West from Dead Rising. He's covered wars, you know.

The jig is up. Grunkle Stan drops his oblivious facade.

The book's pages were written with invisible ink. Saw that coming.

The power of song: a zombie's true weakness.

This singing is so-so. Not as awesome as Steven Universe's songs, but it's not like I'm covering my ears.

And to return Soos to the status quo, they figure out how un-zombify him. They can't kill off a funny guy like him.

Huh, the two agents survived somehow. Finally convinced, the mystery gang appears to have two new adversaries.

Man, Toby Determined can't catch a break can he?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  5. Zipp_Rezzeppa

Zipp_Rezzeppa No dice, Cowboy!

I'm going to have to re-watch this to process everything, but for now, zombie Soos... for the win!

6. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

I read that in Grunkles Stan's voice

7. Zipp_Rezzeppa

Zipp_Rezzeppa No dice, Cowboy!

It's good to know I'm not the only one hearing Grunkle Stan's voice in their head. :)

8. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Skepticals.

That was an amazing season opener. I had not rewatched that much of this since the Gideon finale almost a year ago, but the show was able to reintroduce me into its characters without missing a beat. This show definitely has a darker tone than I'm used to from western cartoons. Stan was awesome throughout.

Too often I'm seeing cartoons nowadays with storylines that go nowhere or are meant to grab ratings rather than engage its audience in any meaningful manner. This show so far has been the antithesis of that. Everything about the setting and story seems very well constructed from the ground up. Most importantly for a show like this though, its still very funny, the characters very fresh, and at this point its impossible for the creators to mess this up, only Disney can with their dumb scheduling.

9. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

Gravity Falls, it's good to be back!
    Awesome season premiere! I'm kinda sad the show changed to Disney XD, though. I read A LOT of people saying that they don't have Disney XD on their cable, what leads me to believe that this change may affect the ratings. I hope it doesn't.
    About the episode, it's good to see they're not hesitating to keep the overall arc going, with Stan revealing he's aware of the town's "weirdness" to the kids. I can feel we're gonna have some major changes and revealings throughout the season, instead of all being revealed at the mid-season or season finale, and I can't wait for that!

10. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Me every Thursday

I'm gonna wait for the Disney XD premiere, mainly because I don't really feel like watching plus XD will have the second episode air after.

11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Time to bring back the cryptograms.

This one is WELCOME BACK.

12. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

Notice how Agent Powers clearly sounded like Nick Offerman, yet the character's voice credit was given to "Key Vigenére" at the end of the episode. What's up with that? Is Offerman deliberately using a pseudonym or did I miss something?

Anyways, the entire episode was spectacular. I'm so glad Grunkle Stan has made it clear to Dipper and Mabel that he's more than aware of all the supernatural happenings in the town. That already sets the bar for the character relationships in this season...even if Stan and Dipper are still hiding some things from each other. I still appreciate how dark and morbid this show is, especially from the standard Disney Channel fare.

13. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Well, this was a great season premiere. The best part of it was Stan, Dipper and Mabel singing that catchy song and Soos as a zombie. This is a great start for the season. Good plotlines, decent characters, dark humor, neat animation...this is why I love this show. A long wait for this season, but it was worth it.

I'm gonna try to catch the second episode on Disney XD on Monday if I have time (usually on Mondays, I'm pretty busy).

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It's actually referring to this. ;)

[​IMG]

15. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Finally caught this episode - on the Western feed...

+ Dipper / Wendy nonsense resolved (hopefully permanently), meaning Dipper's getting things done on his own personal volition.
    + Stan is in on stuff going on in Gravity Falls, but is only oblivious in order to protect his charges.
    + Mabel is still Mabel - which is always a plus.

Yeah, this can only get better from here moving forward... But let's not jinx it.

16. ILuvToons

ILuvToons I still feel pain...

What an episode! Nice to see some real action going on in this show. Still didn't answer my question: what's the portal thing do? Oh well, that's for another day. Can't wait for more!
    (PS, it's about time for some decent merch to pop up in stores, wouldn't you say?)

17. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Awesome premier of this season. The guys behind the show if they wanted to keep their audience in their seats see what happens they did a great job. I like how everything picks up right back the final scene of season 1. I wasn't expecting Dipper getting the book that soon but also Stan cleverly copy the book with the clone copy machine which makes you wonder if it brings up any consequences by doing that?

The combination between horror, mystery, conspiracy and comedy mix so well with this show that surprises you why others have problems doing that? The comedy was funny where Soos was prepared in case of a zombie break out but in the last second he gets bitten and tells "lets changes roles, are you cool that i eat your brains?" also when Mabel told Dipper not to summon the dead and when he did, Mabel like a mom tells Dipper "what's the one thing i told you not to do?" lol.

The horror with the zombies was sweet, this one and with the Regular Show episode "Grave Sights" are my top tv zombie episodes. Stan kicked butt literally on those zombies also nice that he reveals he knows the weird things happening at Gravity Falls but he only lied because he was protecting Dipper and Mabel.

I like how they are trying to keep with the book where it still has more secrets to uncover and even more mysterious how Stan was acting, the one caught my attention is when he got mad at Dipper telling him "your dumb obsession will get us all into trouble" also the agents mention that a similar incident where Stan opens the portal happened 30 years ago.......

Overall this was a great start of season 2 and can't wait to see the next one.

18. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I'm glad that this premiere did not disappoint, not at all.This episode was simply fantastic, NO! not just fantastic it was brillant too. the comedy mixing with the seriousness reminds me of the original Avatar series from Nickelodeon.I was hoping we would see what the machine Stan was using was for but I guess we will find out later, Stan not trusting the Agents is quite justified and Dipper showing them the book shows how desperate he is to solving the mysteries.Soos was hilarious as a zombie (but then again when isn't he?) and Stan kicking butt and using brass knuckles was one of the best action scenes in the series, And him revealing to Dipper that he already knew about the weirdness of Gravity Falls was unexpected this soon and just really adds to the plot.If Disney really wanted to milk this series they would make merchadise and make a movie because this is the type of series that can do very good in theatres.I hope to start seeing the episodes on itunes very soon and I hope we're getting more than just three episodes this month (though I would understand if Disney wanted to spread the season).

19. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

On that they only show 3 episodes this month, new episodes will start on September.

I'm surprise that Dipper should know by now not to trust anyone and he's breaking that without blinking, i think it will bring him big consequences if he keeps it up.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Man, it's good to have this show back, and the humor and thrills are still the same as ever! Zombie Soos was hilarious!
    Did anyone catch those Fully Clothed Women Magazines? Funny stuff.