1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Channel around the world - A comparison

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Checkerboard, Jul 3, 2010.

1. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

And now for some general info on three Asian versions of Disney Channel:
    DISNEY CHANNEL INDIA began broadcasting on December 17th, 2004, replacing the Disney blocks on Star Plus. It is available in four languages (English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu*). Aside from the usual Disney Channel stuff, it airs local versions of American shows (Good Luck Charlie becomes Best of Luck Nikki) and Doraemon reruns from Hungama TV, which gave one of the 7392 Doraemon movies (Nobita's Dorabian Nights) good ratings. It has three sister channels: Disney Junior, Disney XD and Hungama TV. By the way, the three main voices in children's entertainment get exclusive channels for India:
    Cartoon Network: Pogo
    Disney Channel: Hungama TV
    Nickelodeon: Sonic Nickelodeon
    (*the sheer volume of languages in India makes Bollywood the biggest movie industry in the world)
    DISNEY CHANNEL JAPAN began broadcasting on November 18th, 2003. Available only in Japanese, it airs the typical Disney Channel stuff as well as some odd shows like Zig and Sharko and Mirmo.
    It has two sister channels: Disney Junior and Disney XD (the former Toon Disney).
    DISNEY CHANNEL SOUTH KOREA began broadcasting on July 1st, 2011. Until then, Korean watched 90% of the Southeast Asian Disney Channel with the Malaysian shows (the remaining 10%) being cut. It was also available in English with subtitles.
    The channel is available only in Korean. Also, on weekends, it airs a lot of movies and shorts. (Today, they aired Toy Story of Terror).
    It only has one sister channel: Disney Junior.

2. RandomMe

SIC NEWS: This year's promo for "Natal Encantado" (Enchanted Christmas) 2013 has been revealed, featuring Cinderella (restored version), Snow Buddies 3, Tangled (it aired last year, what else could you expect), Toy Story of Terror and a couple of movies I couldn't take notice of them. This year, they are promoting Frozen, with an extended trailer. They had done that for a few years, promoting Tangled, some Pirates of the Carribean movie, Wreck-It Ralph and this year, Frozen.
    Speaking of SIC, here's the schedule for the Disney Kids block:
    1: Fish Hooks (EXCLUSIVE NEW EPISODES NEVER SHOWN ON DISNEY CHANNEL PORTUGAL)
    2: Ultimate Spider-Man (EXCLUSIVE)
    3: Phineas and Ferb (Season 2)
    DISNEY CHANNEL NEWS: New episodes of Violetta will premiere in January. Also, we will get a new show: Liv and Maddie next month.
    Still, no news on the remaining episodes of Gravity Falls... :sad: We STILL want to watch the Mermando episode!

3. RandomMe

Crash and Bernstein will premiere on Disney Channel Portugal in January! And I'm still waiting for Disney XD to come! Here's an interview in my language.
    And it turns out that Mermando will reach Portuguese screens in months, so they didn't have enough time to air all S1 episodes of Gravity Falls...
    I wonder if the Latin Spanish accent will stay...

4. RandomMe

I've been using ZON's Restart TV and Timewarp functions this morning.
    Yesterday at 6:00, they used an old Disney Channel bumper (Dog Washing) from 2003.
    They also air the old Art Attack episodes with Pedro Penim! Ever since the launch of Disney Junior, we couldn't see those episodes!

5. RandomMe

Today at 10:30 on SIC, they will air the Christmas movie/special of Good Luck Charlie, even though they no longer air it.

6. RandomMe

So they play the graphics thing from 2003 every morning at 6am? Reminds me of some versions of Cartoon Network which play the bumper with the eyes, the digital clock and the British breakfast.
    Have a Laugh! airs only in Portuguese, sadly... Just like the third-party shows. Today, they aired the short version of Boat Builders,
    Spain still has "Navidades con Sorpresa", lucky Spanish children... Here, it is called "Festas Fantásticas".
    And the Monster High movies air only in Portuguese...
    "Mickey e Amigos" goes on this format: you get three shorts, the first one has the title card intact, the middle one has no title card or credits intact, and the final one has the "The End" card intact. Very annoying if you want to see the Portuguese name of a short...
    Some title cards are different: Pluto at the Zoo's original card has been replaced with an image from said cartoon.
    @Moleoman: do you have any information on what version of Doraemon will air on DXD PL? The 1979 version, still airing over here, or the 2005 version?

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

'The Deep End' aired last Saturday on Disney XD NL, RandomMe ;)

And I also want Doraemon :eek: They never aired this in the Netherlands or Flanders! (And there are 3 versions, RandomMe: from 1973, 1979 and 2005)

But don't dare to air it between 18:00 and 06:00, Disney XD! :mad:

8. RandomMe

The 1973 seiyu aired on NTV, most of the episodes were lost.
    The animes that aired on TV Asahi (1979 and 2005) aired over here, but Portuguese viewers got only a few (maybe fifty?) episodes of the 2005 anime. Very few episodes aired on Canal Panda and Panda Biggs aired a lot of the 2005 episodes. Then, from what I've seen on some website, they reverted back to the old episodes...
    The 1979 one is still airing on Canal Panda, with an awful dub (I liked it when it was in Spanish!) and it only airs on weekends... I miss the days when it aired on weekdays as well. But I still like it, though.
    By the way, why do they only air Gravity Falls in October and during the Summer? DC PT needs medication...
    The same is true to Fish Hooks. SIC has premiered more episodes than Disney Channel over here. It only airs on weekends...
    SIC will premiere The Muppets today. Today they wanted to take their (horrible) daytime schedule a day off before Christmas Eve...
    Speaking of The Muppets, when the movie premiered, we got to see the "Take Two with Phineas and Ferb" episode with Miss Piggy! Why did we only get that episode? WHY?! WHYYY?!
    ---
    MY HOPES AND DREAMS FOR DISNEY CHANNEL PORTUGAL:
    Launch Disney XD and Disney Channel HD in Portugal
    Returning shows: Teacher's Pet (I haven't seen the EU-PT dub); Gravity Falls; Fish Hooks; Take Two with Phineas and Ferb (Give us the rest of the episodes!)
    New shows (already announced): Liv and Maddie; Crash and Bernstein

9. Moleoman

Moleoman Well-Known Member

So far, the clip on Disney XD promo for Doraemon just showed the clips from 2005 show.

According to the Disney Channel Poland TV Guide file "Sofia the First: The Floating Palace" will air on 1st February, 2014 at 11:00 with Mako Mermaids after that (at 11:50).

MY HOPES AND DREAMS FOR DISNEY CHANNEL POLAND:

• Launch Disney Channel HD in Poland (in my dreams it would be a Scandinavian/Polish/Arabic feed (which would be more based on DC Scandinavia) which would air the Swedish/Norwegian/Danish/Finnish/Arabic/Polish dub credits on-screen)
    • Make Disney Junior PL really air in 16:9 (currently it just looks like they just air everything in 4:3 squeezed into 16:9).
    • Start to decrease the use of CEMA (Central European, Middle-Eastern and African) tapes in favor of Poland-only prints (with Polish credits on-screen) and not to cut the Disney Channel Original, Disney Junior Original and Disney XD Original vanity plates.
    • Start to air more and more non-DCOM and non-Saban movies.
    • Returning shows: The Buzz on Maggie (the show aired only on DC Poland only from December 2006 to January 2007), Lloyd in Space
    • "New" shows (i.e. the shows which were dubbed in Polish long ago but they didn't air yet): Dave the Barbarian, The Weekenders.
    • New shows (on DC): Disney shows: Wander Over Yonder; Girl Meets World; I Didn't Do It; Disney's Win, Lose or Draw; Third-party series: The Qpiz; Sabrina: The Animated Series/Sabrina's Secret Life
    • Show that lefts the schedule due to broadcast rights going to be expired: A Kind of Magic

10. RandomMe

1: Oh...
    2: Coincidence?
    On Christmas Day, they will air a rerun of Up. That's a Disney movie, even though the Disney special is tomorrow.

11. RandomMe

ZAP Viva, an entertainment channel owned by Angolan satellite TV provider ZAP, is currently airing That's So Raven, but in BR-PT (As Visões de Raven). Info from the channel's official Facebook page.
    And the channel broadcasts exclusively to Angola and Mozambique, exclusively though ZAP.
    About the Disney situation over there: they didn't have Disney Channel until November 2012, when Disney Cinemagic was replaced by Disney Junior. Disney Channel took over Disney Cinemagic's place, and moving DIsney Junior to a new channel number. (Disney Channel is on channel 48 and Disney Junior is on channel 49)

12. josie

josie Well-Known Member

On our Disney Channel, they used to play these old bumpers during overnights. They would play 5 or 6 or more of them in a loop for several minutes. I'm not sure if it was cause of some tech problems or on purpose but I saw it several times (and I dont watch Disney channel often).

Not sure if it still happens.

13. RandomMe

That's the 2003 graphics video. All 2003 graphics (mostly bumpers) in a nutshell.
    Is SBB replacing KidsCo with Disney XD (THE RETURN!!!) on New Year's Day? If you go to the thread about the end of KidsCo, I posted an announcement from KidsCo HQ.

14. RandomMe

Today from 14:00, DC Portugal will show a marathon of the best stuff from 2013.
    Also, we will get to see a rerun of Wizards: Alex vs. Alex and a new episode of Phineas and Ferb (For Your Ice Only/Happy New Year!).

15. RandomMe

Disney Junior will premiere Mouk on January 25th. From what I've seen on Disney Portugal's FB page, it looked like French animation, to me.
    And yes it is! I checked that on WIkipedia.

16. dcbanners

dcbanners Well-Known Member

What I am hoping to happen on Disney Channel here in Sweden under 2014:

* An own feed fully separate from DC Scandinavia, that means that we would get better promos / idents in Swedish
    * Same graphics / idents as US and the rest of Europe: Disney channel UK - Idents 2012 - YouTube , the current one that we have is the same as the UK had: Disney Channel HD UK Idents - Night Loop 1080p ( no Logo ) - YouTube

The problem thing with a same channel in Norway, Sweden, Denmark is that they can't write any word in the languages... We have only separate feeds on the commercial breaks (the "ads" part) but then we have the same feeds ://
    [​IMG]

17. RandomMe

@dcbanners: We don't use any of those simplified graphics. The promos end with something themed after the show.
    How do they organize the schedule? Over here, it's:
    07:30 - Disney shows
    09:10 - Third-party shows
    around 11:55 or so - Disney shows
    around 22/23 - Third-party shows

18. dcbanners

Here the schedule on weekdays looks like this:
    *The times are not exactly

6.00 - 8.30: Disney Shows (Like Jessie, Good Luck Charlie...)
    8.30 - 10.10: "Disney Junior on Disney Channel" Block
    10.10 - 12.30: Classic Disney Shows (Like The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Sonny With a Chance...)
    12.30 - 20.30: Disney Shows (Like Jessie, Good Luck Charlie...)
    20.30-22.00: Classic Disney Shows (Like That's So Raven, Phil of the future...)
    22.00-6.00am: Rerun of the day (Same schedule as the day)

On Weekends they air the newer Disney shows...

19. dcbanners

20. RandomMe

This month on my country's Disney Channel:
    [video=youtube;zrHEfyIbITs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrHEfyIbITs[/video]
    The weekend schedule is a bit similar: the main shows air between 9 and 22. At least your schedule doesn't have a lot of third-party shows and you have a better overnight schedule!
    We only have two Disney channels. Disney Channel and Disney Junior! We don't have Disney XD, but we do get some of their shows.
    The exclusive on-demand service was originally known as Home Premiere. It allowed you to pay some money to watch a movie 1-2 months after their theatrical run ended. It existed in 2011 and it got canceled. Now we get Disney Movies on Demand... It has several Disney movies to rent and watch for two days (previously just one day).
    Disney Junior ended as a block over here last June. People liked the 24/7 channel a lot...