1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on formatting & setting priorities

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by GWOtaku, Jun 4, 2008.

1. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

I agree with HellCat. The article is more or less a list (with additional information, as is the policy on most wikipedia episode lists too) of the episodes from Yin Yang Yo! That's the standard procedure on most wikipedia spinoff sites, as well as wikipedia itself, and were I just discovering the TZ Wiki, from my experience with Wikipedia, I would instinctively search "List of Yin Yang Yo! episodes", not "Yin Yang Yo! episode guide". I believe TV.com uses the term "episode guide" for their episode lists but honestly... do we aspire to be like TV.com? I don't think we do.

2. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

We have the option to redirect pages for a reason… With all due respect, everybody keeps telling me that we have to copy Wikipedia. Well, there are countless wikis in existence and most of them have tried to copy Wikipedia, and if you haven’t noticed, most of them aren’t successful. Copying Wikipedia isn’t going to guarantee us success, as if people wanted Wikipedia, they’d go to Wikipedia. If all we do is copy Wikipedia, we’re not going to claim our own existence. Wikipedia has thousands of rules and regulations spanning across hundreds of pages; I don’t believe that’s a formula for success, as nobody in their right mind is going to read all of that. We will have rules and we will have regulations, but I want to keep things simple.

Honestly, I don’t understand how having “Episode Guide” instead of “List Of…” is going to doom the Wiki and destroy its chance at success. As I’ve said, we have the option to redirect pages for a reason. It’s content that matters. Regardless, as I’ve said, the issue has been noted and we will discuss what can be done in due time. I’m willing to compromise on some issues, but I expect that everybody else will as well. The only way that this wiki will succeed is if we hear all viewpoints and make the best decisions possible, but not everybody is going to have it their way all of the time.

3. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Nobody is saying we have to copy Wikipedia. They're simply suggesting we can stick to the basics and standards Wikipedia has for easier management. There's no need to waste time creating a completely different formula when there's already one that works.

Really? Most of the wikis I've seen do in fact take all the standard formulas from Wiki, they just apply their own content and add their own design tweaks so that people can tell them from others. Ever been to Bulbapedia? That's an incredibly large Wiki with lots of traffic, and they stick to every Wikipedia standard. Yes, even the "List of" formula.

Again, we're not copying Wikipedia, people are just suggesting to stick to certain Wikipedia standards which most Wiki readers are used to. Copying Wikipedia would be going there and copy/pasting their articles here.

I was the one who suggested you to try using "Guide" instead of "List" back when you still weren't on staff. That was all it was. A suggestion. It wasn't something I expected you to take as "normal". I don't mind trying out new stuff and all, but if most of the people prefer sticking to the stuff they're used to, then it's probably best to stick with that.

Considering how successful Wikipedia is, it must be doing something right.

Guess I don't have a right mind then.

Exactly how simple? Because "Edit whatever you like and have fun" is not going to work.

Nobody is saying this, man. Is there really a need to get this defensive?

No argument there. And to be honest it's the ONLY thing we shouldn't be copying from Wikipedia.

I think the problem is that a lot of people believe you're trying to have it your way with this project. Not saying that you do, but as I said, you're getting way too defensive in regards to this.

Personally, I don't mind if we use "List of" or "Guide" in the end, although I can understand why either might want to be used. Just let me know when this chat will take place.

4. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

We do want people to have fun; that is amongst my top priorities. We will explain what typically constitutes a quality article and we will explain how people should handle their contributions and format their pages, but aside from that, there isn’t much else that needs to be said. GWOtaku has already written the vast majority of what needs to be written and we will be putting the finishing touches on it shortly after our upcoming chat, but don’t expect dozens of pages and thousands of words. The Toon Zone Animation Wiki will only succeed if we allow people to have fun, but fun can still be had with rules and regulations. However, we can’t get bogged down in them. Wikipedia is a massive project designed to cover every possible detail in the world, but our wiki, on the other hand, has a much smaller focus. All I’m saying is that there is nothing wrong with doing things a bit differently.

I know that I have been somewhat defensive as of late, but I have been given this assignment and I feel like most people don’t have any faith in my vision. This whole issue regarding “list of…” is silly and I probably would have conceded the point in the upcoming chats, but there are other issues that I truly am passionate about that have almost been shot down; things such as allowing users to contribute entire pages for their favorite characters, for example. I assure you that I have the best interest of the wiki at heart, as do all of you, and we need to be working together if we wish to accomplish anything. However, my hands are tied until the upcoming chat.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

On the "list" issue, it seems to me that we basically have a consensus that "list of" is best, so I'm inclined to adjust accordingly. About the guide, it'll be exactly as long as it needs to be and will adjust to feedback as necessary. At the moment it's a work in progress, albeit a reasonably developed one.

Anyhow, until this chat happens, I think we might as well work things out as best we can in the meantime. If we don't like how something looks or is working out, we can always change it later.

Also, character pages weren't "shot down." There are just things we want to encourage, whereas other things come second. That's something to talk through and figure out, though for now format is important. It's important to not drown in regulation, but at the same time these discussions matter because we want people to be on the same page about presentation so that we don't have to be constantly going back and fixing things. That's the primary reason I started writing the TZ Wiki Guide as a side project.

-GWO