1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[DisChan] "Raven" first to exceed 65 eps

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Burgundy Ranger, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Raven Symone is making a big return to primetime television.

The 18-year-old star of Disney Channel's "That's So Raven," who started her career at age 3 on NBC's "The Cosby Show," has inked a rich development deal with ABC.

Under the one-year pact, said to be in the high-six-figure range, the network will develop a series project for Symone targeted for fall 2005.

While Symone is known mostly for her comedic talents, the actress is said to be open to both half-hour and one-hour concepts for her ABC show.

One of the ideas being floated is to develop a show around a grown-up version of her character on "That's So Raven," a teenager who often finds herself in hilarious situations because of her ability to receive psychic visions of the near future.

The idea of translating successful series from sibling Disney Channel to ABC is not new.

Last year, the network tried to develop a Lizzie-in-high-school sitcom based on Disney Channel's "Lizzie McGuire," but the idea fell apart when star Hilary Duff departed the Walt Disney Co. in May 2003.

"That's So Raven," now in its third season, is the highest-rated series on Disney Channel. Because of its popularity, the comedy will become the cable channel's first series to surpass 65 episodes. Disney Channel has ordered 13 additional episodes, bringing the total order to 78.

In addition to "That's So Raven," Symone has a recurring voice-over role on Disney Channel's animated series "Kim Possible."

She also starred in "The Cheetah Girls," Disney Channel's biggest movie ever, which also spawned a platinum-selling soundtrack. On the big screen, Symone co-stars in "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement."

Her album, "This Is My Time," is slated for release Sept. 21 from Disney's Hollywood Records.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

2. sag_2002

sag_2002 Active Member

Bleh... I never have liked that show, and yet it gets past 65 episodes while Kim Possible, a far superior show, is getting the ax after 65.

This is just wrong. Of all the shows they could've chosen to exceed 65, they HAD to pick this one. DOWN WITH DISNEY CHANNEL!

3. loyalheart

loyalheart It's Not TV. It's Cliche

GOOD! The writing and preformances on that show have gotten much better since season 1. As a live-action show, it deserves it. and they are making the right decision with THIS series, hopefully if the do an older version for ABC, it's for TGIF. Which series like 'Raven' should of been on to begin with.

Now i agree that Kim Possible should continue, and im very mad they didnt renew that and depending on what the tv-movie does, it always could return.

but, We shouldnt get mad at 'Raven' for getting the better treatment, It's live-action and is seriously a show that NEEDS to continue for ABC/Disney's sake. When it comes to live-action series that is.

now if "phil of the future" (no offense to fans) get picked up for more than i might join the rants that will come to this news. but im very happy for raven.

4. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

One more reason for Raven to be diluted into every single property and media Disney releases.:rolleyes:

5. loyalheart

oh please, Raven has been apart of ABC/Disney since "Hangin With Mr.Cooper" then "Zenon" and was eventually given her own show on Disney. Then they were SMART enough to bring her to their label for her 3rd album.

This IS a smart move whether or not you guys wanna acknowldge it. Besides Since Hilary's manager is so greedy Raven is the next best thinhg.

6. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

200 Shows of that's so Raven? Or just 78 shows?

Actually I'm going to jump in here.. and poiint something out.. and this might burst someones egotistical bubble here...

But as you read.. 78 Shows.. wow.. a whole 78 shows.... Gee Couldn't this be like Cosby... with 200 shows?

or am i dreaming...

I'm also with Sag_2002, 65 Shows for Just KP? Or more like 130?

Frankly this is why I've been on a rant for a long time about Disney..they've been selling EVERYONE short.. after all, Raven Deserves 200 shows.. Not 78.. but look, 78 is all she's getting.. (gee I hope that makes you feel good there loyalheart and all you fans who love That's so Raven, Because it's saying it's wonderful Raven gets shortchanged 130 shows. Just like KP Is getting Shortchanged Potentially 65.)

or am I making no sense here?..

after all would you want 1 scoop of Ice Cream? Or 3 scoops? I rest my case..

(wait.. the Logic Is coming. You'll see. )

:coyote:

7. loyalheart

frankly, 13 more episodes is better than nothing, i'd like to burst your over egotistical bubble as well, Why? You over analyze and that makes your word gold puh.(if anything it makes my more positive replies, as well as everyone else's seem rude) and it seems like you think these shows need 100 more episodes to be 'good news' guess what your' wrong.

13 more episodes is better than just cancelling a show right away, Yes i realize raven as well as kp deserves more than 78 episodes HOWEVER again it's better than nothing. and since their toying with an older version of her character maybe there's a chance to see a older version of the show on ABC period.

edit: Here's a challenge for you, with every BAD thing you find in disney stuff how about finding some good? and while your at maybe you should stop petitioning disney for more, because obviously if it's even the smallest bit, you'll never be happy.

8. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

yeesh, chill out.

9. Wolfcruiser

Wolfcruiser Don Karnage,Disney's coolest!

Um,isn't this board supposed to be purely about Disney animation? I'm confused........shoudln't this go elsewhere?:confused:

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Disney can't look any more desperate than they do now, putting Raven into EVERYthing, quite literally, to FORCE her into popularity again so they can outDuff Ms. Duff. And you know, if they were going to do this, why couldn't they pick a new face instead of someone we've seen before as a little girl? That makes them look even MORE desperate.

I guess I should look on the bright side: those foam and fabric gigantic Ravens that teenagers will have to strut around Disneyland soon will look hilarious. :D

11. loyalheart

it can either make them look desperate or smart. Raven always has had a fanbase. It's smart. IMO Raven IS more of a familiar face or whatever because of how long she's been around

but Raven's fanbase has grown because of disney. And her 3rd album doesnt really have that star support it did in her last 2 (missy,stevie wonder) which is ashame for her.

edit:

I wanted to add, Raven isnt really the only "star power" on ABC between this season and possible next, Kelly Osbourne is on ABC's new show. And Jimmy Smits (i think that's his name) is returning to ABC also.

So i guess they want the MTV Generation, Disney Channel Tweens, and whatever else they can pull in, at least it SEEMS that way

12. Zach Williams

Zach Williams Active Member

Well, this is cool. I like the show. But, why this show to be the first. I think it should be a animated show, since it is how Disney first was.:(

13. Bigdaddy83

Bigdaddy83 Fujiko's Robbed Me Blind!!

Neither do I. Just goes to show you how the truly horrible shows get good treatment over the TRUE good shows. It's blasphemy really. But hey, Disney at least is going beyond 65. As I've mentioned before, the episode limit needs to go.

14. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Raven is not that truly horrible. I mean it must get good treatment for a reason, and not just because Disney's stupid. (or maybe I'm wrong?)
    But I feel the same way most of you feel about Raven being everywhere on disney. Its getting to a ridiculous point now. Hell, that little number she did in the Princess Diarys (or so I read) did me in.

15. Zach Williams

Zach Williams Active Member

Yeah, she is everywhere. That's So Rave, The Cheetah Girls (which they play at least twice a month!!!), Kim Possible, Princess Diaries, Circle of Life video (which they play like crazy too) and so much more!!!! Her own video, album. Hell, she is Freak'N EVERYWHERE!!!!:evil:

16. Bigdaddy83

Bigdaddy83 Fujiko's Robbed Me Blind!!

It's almost like a disease, everything needs to be quarentined!

17. chevy citation

chevy citation I hate milk too

Guys, it's not that bad

Y'all are being overly negative towards Raven. It seems like Disney Channel wants to create a flagship star, and they tried to do it with Hilary Duff (she had a few Disney Channel movies and videos too) but she didn't want to.

So they go to Raven who doesn't mind being Disney's poster child. Now she has a platinum selling movie and album and a top rated show with the network. It's no wonder Disney extends her show and gives her so much attention.

18. Uncle Beaglebub

Uncle Beaglebub Black Jack

Rant-o-rama

People may think that finding good news in this show extension as a sign of weakness on my part. I say, no not at all I'm merely seeing something faintly hopeful in the war against Disney management.

Granting an extension to Raven's show, that doesn't give me hope because it doesn't tell me that Disney cares any more today than they did yesterday. And it isn't going to keep me from fighting Disney until they acknowledge that customers' desires are the most important thing a business can focus upon.

What does give me hope is that, finally after a very long time, the 65 Episode Policy is seeing the light of day again. In Rueters, and in other news outlets it is out on the table again. It is there again for Disney fans and the general public to see and hopefully discuss. Maybe it's too much to wish for, but it could cause unknowing fans to notice what is going on at Disney, and why their shows keep disappearing.

Something else that gives me hope is this. Fans have fought and screamed for years to get the 65 Episode Policy to make way. Now, one show has done something rare and gotten beyond 65. So now, I say to Raven fans: Now is the time for you to build up your forces. The longer a show stays on the air, the more people start watching it for the first time. Recruit these people as soldiers. It's time to start fighting, and screaming for Disney to go beyond 78 episodes. If the show is still popular as it reaches it's 78th episode, then fight for it! You people got beyond 65, now fight to go past 78! Just keep fighting for a popular show, and keep getting extensions until management realizes that simply ordering episodes in numbered batches doesn't reflect popularity.

Using Tucson's metaphor, think of it this way. Show Disney that you don't like the way they sell you your ice cream cones. You don't want to get one scoop and enjoy it, and then be told you get no more. And you don't want to have to scream your brains out just so that Disney will give you a second ice cream cone, IF they feel like it. NO, we don't want it that way. WE want as many ice cream cones as we want! We want to eat ice cream until we can't stand it any more, and we walk away! That's called popularity! Time for Disney to say, "Hey, people LIKE ice cream! Wow! Let's keep scooping it out until they don't want it anymore!"

19. BigKPFan76

BigKPFan76 It's Kimstyle, Yo!

Well put sag. Why Raven and not KP? I think it has something to do with Eisner's little clique.......if you suck up to him, you get more episodes.

20. loyalheart

if that's true, then enlighten me why Raven's album hasnt been heavily promoted.