1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Digimon Adventure

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by CartoonOverlord, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CartoonOverlord

CartoonOverlord Head of HATE

Discussion thread for Digimon Adventure. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

2. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I'm not too sure about the 'vs Pokemon' mentions. That seems to come down to personal opinion on both sides and shouldn't really be mentioned unless we can cite some sources. Fan squabbles don't really fit in with factual information.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I agree, I went ahead and edited out the first sentence in the legacy paragraph. I'm not the biggest expert on this but AFAIK, Digimon's legacy is indeed quite distinct from Pokemon. The complaints of a few that it's somehow derivative because they have "mon" and pet monsters in common or what have you doesn't seem nearly substantial enough to deserve mention.

Also, the "in spite of" wording in the deleted sentence suggests that kids enjoyed Digimon and made it successful in spite of such fanboy complaints, whereas I'm rather confident that kids at the time couldn't have cared less.

I should add that the rest seems quite good, though it could use a character section.

4. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

thank you.

EDIT: O.K., went over there to see what exactly you meant. I don't really mind the Pokemon vs. Digimon bit being deleted (and I actually like both series), but isn't it a fact that Digimon was accused of being a Pokemon clone? I don't have a source or anything, but it seems like I remember hearing some complaints...

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

People have certainly said it here and there, I'm just not seeing a reason that it's relevant. Maybe if some sort of analogy or connection were made in a review that could be cited, but otherwise it's just random opinion.

6. Radical Raven

Timely reply:) I'll bow to the two of you here, then, until I stumble across a source.

To tackle another point; the movie. Should an article be made for all three of the segments (which were seperate in Japan), or should I keep it as is?

7. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I'd make articles for the three seperate Japanese originals then make a seperate article for Digimon The Movie which clearly refers to its compiled nature. The Japanese movies came first so by all rights they deserve mention first. A weird way to put it- YouTube Poop videos edit various clips togethor, but they couldn't do it without the source material.

8. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

If you're doing an article on the movie, then you could cover the whole Pokemon issue there. I remember several film critics called it a Pokemon cash-in, so you've got good material for the "reception" bit there.

9. Radical Raven

MonkeyFunk: Good idea.

Hell Cat: That's a good point. Should the same apply to Disney's "Winnie the Pooh" film?

All: How do you double quote?