1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DID THEY JUST SAY THAT? Outrageous Lines of the Silver Age (Possibly PG-13)...

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Captain Caps, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Captain Caps

Captain Caps Active Member

Watching "Slappy Goes Walnuts" on tonight's episode of "Animaniacs!", I heard a line I didn't pick up on 10 years ago. In the scene where Slappy is watching the "Wonderful World Of Walnuts" video, there's this one line that I was shocked to hear.

Narrator: "The squirrel hides his nuts in unusual places where the sun doesn't shine".

That made my jaw drop, and it got me to thinking:

What lines were you surprised to hear on the various Silver Age shows?

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff...

If this topic is inappropriate, feel free to shut it down.

2. Jason Furness

Jason Furness Not Actually a Cat

Well, there was that song in the final episode of Road Rovers. :D

That actually got 'em in trouble, donchaknow...

3. Corrado

Corrado ...

I don't remember the exact line, but in "Tiny Toons" Plucky was talking about hernias.

4. Tienshin

Tienshin LOL INTERNET >:'D

A couple times I remember one character saying something about "Lake Titticocka" and immediately another would follow with something like "can you say that on TV?"

5. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Actually, it was a song:

Lake Titicaca, oh Lake Titicaca
    It's between Bolivia and Peru
    With waters tranquil and blue.

Why do we sing of its fame?
    Lake Titicaca, yes Lake Titicaca
    'Cause we really like saying its name!
    Titicaca!

The Road Rovers "song" from episode 13 (removed from the episode after the first airing) actually started life, if I remember correctly, as a high school Russian language class paper Tom Ruegger had turned in as a student in Metuchen, N.J.

Russian names
    Are a kind of a game
    There's a first, and a last
    And a middle name.

Giving the first name
    Is the mama's chore
    Like Boris, Alexander
    Or Fyador.

The last name comes
    From the family
    Like Pushkin, Basylrov
    Or Porfiry.

With the middle name
    Now here comes the fun
    The papa gives his first name
    To the son.

He then adds an -ovich
    Or -yevich to the end
    Here's an example
    So you comprehend:

The papa's name is Sonov
    Now here's the switch:
    The kid's middle name
    Is Sonovovich.

Yes, the kid's middle name
    Is Sonovovich!
    Yeah!

Certainly there were a lot of "interesting" lines in the WBA "Silver Age".

In The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, Sylvester falls upon the road and says, "What a kick in the asphalt!"

In the Animaniacs episode "Bumbie's Mom", a woman (well, a female walrus) taken aback by Slappy says, "Well, I never!" to which Slappy retorts, "You should; it's fun!"

Then there are the visual things they got away with, like the frog who sees Minerva Mink, swallows his eyeballs and sticks out his tongue, producing a rather startling image.

"Sire?"
    "Wait 'til we're alone!"

The list could go on and on, and no doubt will.

6. Captain Caps

I notice a lot of ribald Silver Age lines were written by Sherri Stoner (my writing idol and in my Top 10 babe list).

Of course, she did a bunch of trashy flicks in the 80s ("Lovelines", which I have on VHS; "Reform School Girls", which I own on DVD; several others that escape me at the moment), so perhaps that's where she got a lot of her boundary-pushing humor from.

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

In the Tiny Toons short "It's All Relative", Babs sings "Me so funny"- a parody of a suggestive music video "Me so h*rny". It's been mentioned in another thread here, and- surprise- it was written by Sherri Stoner!

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

What about in "Minister Golf" when Plucky hits the golf ball into his dad's groin and he says, "Congratulations, son, you're going to be an only child!"

9. Singin' Stray Cat

Singin' Stray Cat Still Alive Somewhere

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the line in "Hooked on a Ceiling" (Animaniacs) where Yakko says something to the effect of,

"You want us to climb up dangerous scaffolding to paint nekkid people all over a church? .....We'll do it! But we're not doing it for the sake of art (unsure of the next few words)...we're doing it because, we like painting nekkid people!"

By the way, he was talking about the Sistine Chapel, to those who aren't familiar with the episode. (Anyone who knows the correct lines can post it if they wish. Just be aware that by doing so, you're going to make me feel like an absolute idiot. ;) Thank you. )

10. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Oh yeah, I definitely remembered the Russian names song from Road Rovers when it aired for the first and only time in February 1997 (what a good way to put in the final episode of an under-rated series).

Another memorable "outragous" moment: in the second TTA episode that spoofs MTV (not the one with the two They Might Be Giants songs), the gag credit for that episode said (to that extent) "Name Accidentally Obmitted from the Name Game: Plucky". Obviously, you know what the writers were doing (in fact, a scene that was cut from the Name Game segment had the TTA crew saying "Let's do Plucky!", with Elmyra (the main singer in that segment) telling them that she's not do it).

11. William C. Maune

William C. Maune TZ News Editor in Chief

I was always surprised by the episode of Animaniacs where the Warners kept washing Beetohven's (boy did I butcher the spelling of that!) mouth out every time he said he was a pianist. Sure was funny though!

12. candy17

candy17 Black, White, and Amorous

Is There ANything They Won't Say?

Oh, I remember that one. I don't know how Nickelodeon got away with that.

And that Russian name song...oh, man. It's no wonder I've never seen it...and I love Road Rovers, well actually I only like it because of that Russian dog Exile (is that his name?) because I've always wanted a husky and in some twisted way, I thought he was cute.

Oh, yes. Animaniacs does have a lot of risque jokes and jokes that kids wouldn't understand, like the references to "GoodFellas" and "The Godfather" and Martin Scorsese on the Good Feathers shorts.

13. Captain Caps

It wasn't just innuendo...

Sometimes, the outrageousness was attacks on the entertainment industry and people within it.

"You'll Never Eat Food Pellets In This Town Again" is a scathing put-down of network executives.

"Thirteensomething" (teleplay by the legendary Sherri Stoner), besides being a gut-busting spoof of the classic comedy "Tootsie", manages to get in digs at "Entertainment Tonight", its' anchor Mary Hart, the cast of "Diff'rent Strokes" and Geraldo Rivera.

Any more examples of Silver Age toons taking on Hollywood from the inside out?

Sincerely,

14. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Indeed. It was, essentially, Peter Hastings' resignation notice. He had been asked to rework the series. The executives told him that they liked the characters, but weren't so keen on the taking-over-the-world plot. They wanted a larger, ensemble cast -- something akin to The Simpsons.

He submitted "You'll Never Eat Food Pellets in this Town Again" and resigned. The fun part is that it ended up getting produced anyway! I don't know if that was a show of solidarity by the crew he left behind, or what...

As for other industry in-jokes, well, the king of them all was "Yes, Always" which Maurice LaMarche explains as a $25,000 inside joke. For his audition, showing off his Orson Welles impression, he recited a little-known outtake from Orson doing voiceovers for commercials in the UK and getting really uptight. When he saw the script for this cartoon, nearly word for word the same as that outtake sequence, he thought it was a joke. "Why not just give me the $25,000 in production costs, and we'll invite the 10 or 12 people in the whole world who actually know this bit, and we'll perform it live?" he joked.

15. sterfish

sterfish Member

One Animaniacs ep I saw recently that surprised me was the ep where Skippy was being bullied and encouraged to solve his problem nonviolently because of the FCC's educational programming requirement. Other than the direct jab at the FCC, the name of the head of the FCC was Reef (as in reefer, slang term for a certain drug) Blunt (another slang term). I wonder how they got away with that.

16. UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk l33t haxx0r Narf!

And who could forget this little gem from the Wakko's Wish movie:

Yakko : All of the shops are closin'
    Dot : Things couldn't get much worse
    Skippy: Even my nuts are frozen
    Slappy: Be careful with that last verse

Course, he, standing in the snow, was obviously talking about his acorns trapped in ice. Don't know where Slappy's dirty mind was.

17. Matthew Hunter

Matthew Hunter Super Genius

The one that always struck me was from "Batman: The Animated series". the Joker gets fed up and depressed with life, and Harley Quinn. Harley gets on her hands and knees and says "Whattsamatter Mister J.? Doncha wanna rev up your Harley?" she then starts making suggestive facial expressions and motor cycle noises! :eek:

There was also the bizarre episode of "Pinky and the Brain", in which the Brain constructs a big radio tower but needs a "red rubber nub" to keep it safe from lighning. they sure had a lot of fun saying "red rubber nub". I think that same cartoon had their weird Italian neighbor named Saltana who mowed his lawn using a goat.

In one episode of "Animaniacs", the Warner kids were old-time chimney sweeps, and when they got to the house of composer Ludwig Von Beethoven, they seemed a bit shocked when he said he was a "pianist". I believe it was Yakko who said something like "ugh uh uh! Mister potty mouth!" and stuck a big bar of soap in his mouth.

In "Freakazoid", a crook goes down a sewer, and Freakazoid argues with Officer Cosgrove about going after him. I believe Cosgrove's answer was "nope. I'm not going in there...I hate sewers. They smell like poo gas!" I believe the word "poo gas" got repeated several times throughout the episode.

I believe it was already mentioned in this thread, but I thought it was worth discussing. One Babs Bunny cartoon on Tiny Toon Adventures had Babs' mom and friends trying to get Babs to do the "funny thing" she always does. Babs doesn't know which thing that is, so she goes through a whole bunch of different skits, tricks, songs and sketches. One of them was a little song saying "Me so bunny, oh, me so bunny, oh me so bunny me hop a long time." I didn't get it as a kid, yet for some reason it stuck with me, and I later saw a clip of a music video on some VH-1 documentary, from an late 80's/early 90's pop song. Same tune, but the original lyrics were "me so horny, me hump a long time!" :eek: :eek:

There was a cartoon with Slappy Squirrel meeting Siskel and Ebert. She poses as a concession stand server, and when the critics ask for butter on their popcorn, they are shocked to realize that it's not butter at all. Slappy says "yup. That's lard which I am liposuctioning out of your guts!" :eek:

-Matthew

18. Singin' Stray Cat

Singin' Stray Cat Still Alive Somewhere

In that same episode, if you listen closely, somewhere in one of those sewer scenes you'll hear Freakazoid mutter, "I hope that thing that just floated by was a candy bar!" :eek:

And another joke in the same vein as the Animaniacs "pianist" one - in "La La Law," the Warners get on to the judge for asking them if they had "subpoenaed a witness." (Yeah, that's how it's spelled, according to the dictionary.)

:yakko: "I certainly hope not! You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking it!" XD

Later on in the episode, the gag is repeated again when the meter maid takes the witness stand.

:yakko: "The what?"
    - "The Penal Code! The Penal Code!"
    :yakko: "You know, you and him [indicating the judge] oughta get together."

Which they do, in fact. :D

19. Captain Caps

There was this one TTA episode where the Toonsters were at an open-mic night at a comedy club (at least, I think that's what it was).

Anyway, at one point a character named Andrew "Lice" Clay appears. A bug modeled on everybody's favorite nursery rhyme performer Andrew "Dice" Clay, I thought it was pretty edgy of the WBA crew to make sure the first thing he said was covered by the noise BLEEP.

Sincerely,

20. drkfce

drkfce New Member

'Watching "Slappy Goes Walnuts" on tonight's episode of "Animaniacs!"'

"Tonight's episode"? Woah, animaniacs is still on the air?! What channel? I know they are re-runs, but that's better than nothing!