1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Disney movies scare....

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Frank White, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Czar Gato

Czar Gato Walkin' on the wild side

That's probably what its name is, then. I wasn't too sure myself, but if it's in Kingdom Hearts than it's probably correct.

2. Jackie Chun

Jackie Chun Member

When I younger I was creeped out by "Night on Bald Mountain", "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", and "The Skeleton Dance" but I still enjoyed watching them.

3. sun

sun You stay, I go

Czar Gata- boy are you right...

This film really is one of the greatest films ever made, I agre with you completely,,It just doesn't stand up, it flies,,Oh another side note, Disney invented sterophonic sound,( duel sound tracks, from diferent angles) for Fantasia...It lost money for almost 20 years, then I think it was in l960, the company finally made back production costs..Originally installed in a small number of theaters around the country,(and called something else, not sterio, but ?) more productions were planned, but the war, and an awful strike over union organization, stopped those plans till the production of Fantasia 2000, which was made possible by Roy Disney the nepehew of Walt, and one of the individuals who are trying to ouster Eisner. Fantasia 2000 has some great parts too, but doesn't match up to the original..I guess I went on too long..oh well,,Stuart:sad:

4. Bomby

Bomby Lord Kira's Faithful Follower

I knew there was something wrong with me XD

I knew there was something wrong with me. XD Guess I'm not human.

Actually, though, when I was little, every time I watched Dumbo, I had the bejeezus scared outta me. "Pink Elephants on Parade" is a bit too trippy for a kids' movie, I think. Now that I'm older, I watch it nad think "Well, geez, no wonder it scared me. How many things were they on when they wrote this scene?" THe part that really got me was the humanoid figure that walked on two legs and stuff but was made ENTIRELY out of multi-coloured elephant heads. And besides, the lyrics imply that you're supposed to be scared of them. >.<

5. Bomby

Bomby Lord Kira's Faithful Follower

Other things...

I was never afraid of the actual Maleficent or the scenes with her in 'em, but when I went to Disneyland when I was 6, the Sleeping Beauty walk-through diorama was still open, and the Maleficent display scared me so bad I turned and left right then and there. It really was creepy, with the green light adn stuff...wish I'd seen the rest of it, though :shrug:

Let's see...what else? Oh, yes...I remember very well the first time I saw TNBC when it came out about 11 years ago. I was fine with the whole movie except the "thing hiding under your bed".

I must agree with everyone who said "Night on Bald Mountain". Now I love it. Teh mad cool, heh.

It's funny, movies like The Exorcist have never bothered me, but Dumbo did XD

#105 Bomby, Sep 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2004
  6. sun

sun You stay, I go

According to the Disney Greats..

In one of their books, Frank Thomas or Ollie Johnson, addresses this issue, that they were always accused of being high when they made the elephant scquence..Well, according to them,,and I cannot quote where, sorry, none of the artists making that were high..Disney was just too tough a boss for that..a real taskmaster..It was just one of the first great dream sequences, by the way, it was copied a little, just a little, in "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery." a classic Daffy Duck toon, shouldn't mention that here, sorry :eek:

7. Tinytooncrazy

Tinytooncrazy Member

To be fair I don't think that any Disney animated film has ever scared ne

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Probably Ursula's death scene and Rourke's death scene in Atlantis, as it was pretty gruesome.

Hunchback was just disturbing on its own merits.

And while Hercules was basically played for laughs for the most part, whenever Hades got seriously pissed, it was pretty extreme. Also in Hercules when he has to jump into the pool of souls and he's barely hanging on in order to reach Meg, he's basically a living corpse before he gets her...that was pretty hardcore.

9. sun

sun You stay, I go

Pinnocchio..very dark and scarey

I believe Jave is correct. As well as all others who have posted about Pinnocchio...This I believe is the darkest full length animated film Disney ever made. The tone and texture of the film are extremely dark, as is the feeling of terror that is conveyed..The boys changing into donkeys must be seen in a theater...It loses much of its punch on a TV..so it is hard to get the true feel of the film.
    ..Similiarly, just to give an example, the original King Kong, loses so much on the small screen, that it is almost (I said almost) funny..but when it was released in theaters is was quite frightening.
    ...Finally, it isn't just part of Pinnocchio..It is much of the film itself..This sets it apart from all others. The dark tone and feel of Pinnochio is quite unusual for Walt.. and I might add this..Artistically it was his best, but financially, it did not do well. For the times..it was exceptionally dark, and did not make a lot of money............sun

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That scene scared me too.
    I haven't watched Pinocchio since then.

11. Scorpio_G

Scorpio_G I dont look like that, really

Then I was a fearless little girl, a bad mother (shut your mouth). :anime:

The witch from Sleeping Beauty scared my twin brother especially when she turned into a dragon. Didnt scared me. :D

I think the only thing that let me feel a little 'anxious' was the beginning of the wilderbeast chase. I knew Simba was screwed when I saw hundreds of thoes things running down the very steep hill. Me and my brother looked like this= :eek:

Ninja Edit: Oh! And The Dip scene in Who Framed Rodger Rabbit! I wasnt scared but I knew at the age of 5 that Judge Doom was evil.

12. sun

sun You stay, I go

Of course another aspect of this fear is...

Another aspect of this fear, as stated before, is the age at which you viewed a particular film.. Also, a mind set of the person watching at that age. For whatever reasons, a child facing some kind of insecurity at that moment, might be more frightened than one who is secure at that moment..
    I read with interest the repeating sories of, "when I was a child.." And I might add, those scenes were meant to frighten us..The donkey scene and the scene where the pretty nasty queen in Snow White turns herself into a haggard old witch are horrific. But that type of scene has, as has been noted, been repeated consistently, throughout the last 70 years as new films were made. A scare scene is part of most of Disney's animated films.........sun

13. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

There were some scenes in Hunchback of Notre Dame that scared me.
    In particular the fighting scenes.
    Snow White scene when the henchmen tried to kill her with a knife. Then the transformation of the queen.
    Some of the Disney movies were not as bad at scaring me as the others, but most of them had at least one scary scene. :raven:

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I was kind of disturbed of the part of Pochohantas where that one guy was shot.

15. Harukuro

Harukuro Member

I think I was scared of some parts in Atlantis when I saw it in theaters (especially during the climax) Other then that I'm not sure. The most emotional I get around Disney movies leads to saddness for me not fear.

16. Martin

Martin The unseen lover of Irma

Once there was a Japanese tv production of Pinocchio in the Netherlands. That cartoon series caused nightmares to all the children who saw the episodes.

17. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

Judge Doom's reveal: freaky stuff. When I was 10, the movie was showing on Cartoon Network. So I turned the channel and stayed in my room for the entire thing. For at least 3 years I was in another room when that scene was on, however my parents didn't know because I wasn't watching the movie with them. It's odd how I was okay with it when I saw the entire film on DVD when I was 11.
    Disney released a sing along video shot at Disneyland in the early 1990s. My sibling's tutor gave the video to us when I was little, and me and my brother were both freaked out by the scene shot at the Haunted Mansion. Even worse that the girl visiting in the scene had my name.
    When I was 5, I stumbled across the Pink Elephants on YouTube. I eventually forgot about it and got over it.
    Another one me and my brother were freaked by - Woody's nightmare in Toy Story 2.
    Thank God I wasn't the only one! I always thought he looked like Ren Hoek there, though. And I loved (still do) Ren & Stimpy back then!
    Same.

18. Clamity Jane

Clamity Jane New Member

Little Mermaid scared me -- Ursula still makes me shudder.

19. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

I watched Pinocchio when I was 17, but it still freaked me out. The idea that this kind of movie got a G rating, while Frozen got a PG rating, makes no sense whatsoever. Let's see... the scariest thing in Frozen is a mutant snowman, while in Pinocchio we have a coachman who is literally the devil, has a demon army, and turns kids into donkeys that he can sell as slaves. Yeah, the snowman's definitely more intense.

Also, the scene in Mickey's Christmas Carol featuring the Ghost of Christmas Future absolutely terrified me as a child. The coffin in Scrooge's grave opens up and he's basically hanging by his fingernails over flames that... resemble a certain place.

Finally, we have Dr. Facilier's last scene in Princess and the Frog. I'll just leave it at that.