1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DHX Media is Up for Sale

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dudley, Oct 5, 2017.

1. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

And why should NBC Universal buy DHX, when they already have a large animation library of their own, which I'm referring to the Dreamworks Classics library and that I feel that NBCU's animation library doesn't really need to be expanded because of this.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I bet Corus will eventually buy the entirety of Canada.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Wouldn't be surprised if that is what ends up happening.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

4. ItsSunshine

ItsSunshine Member

The best part is that the Teletubbies trauma is done. I wonder who would buy DHX anyways.

5. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Well with the possibility of Corus acquiring DHX would definitely bring in controversy and antitrust laws. A monopoly of studios doing the same type of shows, etc will be so negatively reviewed a Corus will have over 80% of the Canadian market, making it unfair for other companies to thrive.

Time Warner, er, AT&T at this point likely, will also be in controversy as they have DirecTV in their hands. The politics will go haywire and violations are certain to arrive. They already have a humongous library (seriously, does anyone check all of the cartoons they have, from WBA, CN, AS, MGM, Hanna-Barbera/Ruby Spears, and DC characters?) and they don't do much with that already.

Viacom is most likely doing their own thing with their library, mainly Nick's. It wouldn't fit much of their brands nor will the former play DHX shows on TV besides on a app like Boomerang. Neither will CBS.

21st Century Fox? Yeah, besides the older animation shows and Blue Sky movies, they lost interest years ago, and they had every opportunity to acquire DreamWorks Animation but it could've been for the worse.

Haim Saban? This could definitely work as he had his own company producing kids shows for years. Without Fox Kids/Family to co-create any difficulties, he could lead investors to acquire the company like with Univision.

Disney will undoubtedly be out of the question, with their already high library of IPs and consumer products. They'll kill off any property they think will fail, with is about a good chunk.

Lionsgate is a strong contender, but it depends on what they can afford, as they just acquired Starz Media and then rejected from a marriage with Hasbro, a similar company. Lionsgate previously based in Canada before, it could definitely make sense but they have to shut off the other Canadian networks. They'll be a key player in children's television.

Back to NBCUniversal, again which is owned by Comcast, the company already bent on eying to pass Disney and the same company who have been deep in controversy with acquiring the former and buying other cable companies for coverage. Also customer service, can't have a cable company in controversy without that in Kabletown. But somehow, a possibility could happen.

Having DHX in their possession will not only uplift their library of shows to format another kids network, but will provide leverage to their appropriate subsidiaries, such as DHX Animation turning into DreamWorks Animation Canada with its many units, the live action division splitting between Universal Cable Productions and Universal Kids, and the distribution of a gigantic library across the world. They'll also have CPLG, which licenses characters worldwide along with classic and popular franchises. They already work with DWA by airing the latter shows on their networks along with producing The Mr. Peabody and Sherman Show. They look have AwesomenessTV shows on there too. Universal Kids already airs several shows made and/or distributed by DHX Media so anything is possible.

6. PF9

PF9 Member

DHX acquired the rights to the Peanuts brand recently and WB already owns home video rights to all but the theatrical films. WB would certainly love to own the Peanuts brand outright.

7. Moleoman

Moleoman Well-Known Member

I agree with you, especially as I have two suggestions which European companies might buy/merge with DHX:

a) Studio100 Media - they own certain distribution rights (mostly European) to various shows in DHX's Library ("The Busy World of Richard Scarry", "Rainbow Fish", "Rimba's Island", "What about Mimi", etc.) which the Belgian company owns since 2008 (after buying the EM.Entertainment library). Until the 2010s Studio100 also distributed "Arthur" and "THe Little Lulu Show" in certain European territories. However, Studio100 owns some distribution rights to two production by DHX's rival - "Nelvana": "The Magic School Bus" and "Pippi Longstocking" (both coming from EM.Entertainment library).

Studio100 operates three channels - one for G/A/S: Junior and two for Benelux: Studio100 TV and Njam!.

b) Your Family Entertainment - that company (when it was still known as Ravensburger Film+TV) used to co-produce various shows with one of DHX's precedessor - Cinar (f.e. "The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures", "The Babaloos", "Albert the Fifth Musketeer") and has the rights to those co-productions in for instance German-speaking countries and certain CEE territories. Likewise with Studio100 YFE has distribution rights to various old Nelvana series in German-speaking territories, Eastern Europe (including Poland), Scandinavia (the scope of rights depends on the series) probably as a compromise from their early 00's partnership. YFE operates two TV channels - Fix&Foxi and RiC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Studio 100 can't afford buying another company.

9. AdrenalineRush1996

That's why I think a different company should buy DHX instead of Corus.

I'd definitely would rule out Time Warner due to the fact that they already have a large animation library plus I am hoping the merger with AT&T doesn't end up like the disastrous AOL Time Warner merger of 2000.

That and they have had some BTS issues quite recently.

I don't think Fox ever considered buying Dreamworks Animation.

Saban is among the partners of Zag Animation but not sure about it.

Don't forget that Disney once owned one of DHX Media's predecessors DIC Entertainment after buying ABC which owned the studio before selling it in 2000.

Wouldn't sell off the other networks be a better term than shut off? Because it implies that they have to be shut down plus I do think Lionsgate would be a better option but I don't think there were plans for a Lionsgate/Hasbro merger since the only company that I do know almost merged with Hasbro was Dreamworks Animation.

I doubt it because NBC Universal already has a large animation library since they now have the Classic Media (now Dreamworks Classics) library after buying Dreamworks Animation last year.

I would also rule out Sony since like Viacom, they've suffered from BTS issues and their animation unit isn't doing great now.

#29 AdrenalineRush1996, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  10. Tommypezmaster

Tommypezmaster Active Member

I would say Xilam Animation should buy DHX. Mainly because Johnny Test and Cloudy the TV series tries way too hard to emulate both humor and artstyle of Space Goofs and Oggy and The Cockroaches. Maybe if that happens, DHX won't try to to make Xilam-like show if Xilam owns the company.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Lol, we keep thinking of media companies....maybe some other kind will, like Hasbro. Hasbro wants to be a serious player in the industry and has toyed (PUN!) with buying out or merging with media companies for a long time (granted some of them were rumors) and even ended up buying an animation studio too.
    Though the problem remains, is that any company that ends up buying DHX Media is going to end up buying a LOT of stuff. Not just buying a huge content library, but several production houses (including at least TWO Canadian animation studios), and a few TV networks.
    I think in the end if they can't find a buyer for the whole company, they'll end up splitting the company apart and/or put their assets up for auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Well, Hasbro backed out of several potential deals including DreamWorks Animation and Lionsgate, and they have their own studio among other things going about, but I forgot to add them as a possible buyer since third time's the charm. They also worked and are still working with DHX Media on several shows in the past and present so them maybe taking a swing at the latter won't be surprising.

I can say that while speculation arises on who could buy them I still say NBCUniversal will ultimately be on the prowl to buy them out because they want to have as much success in the children's market as Disney. And they'll need all the help they can get.

13. AdrenalineRush1996

Again, I don't think there were reports that Lionsgate was going to buy Hasbro but I do know that there were reports for a Hasbro/Dreamworks Animation merger which was scrapped due to the poor box office performance of Penguins of Madagascar.

And again, NBC Universal already has a large animation library since they now own the Classic Media library after buying Dreamworks Animation a year ago. They don't really need to expand their already large animation library by buying DHX. Neither does Disney and Warner for the same reason.

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The problem with the library of content too is that, as brought up in a past thread, a lot of the content isn't even good or worth owning outright (licensing, most def). When Dreamworks bought Classic Media, they acquired not just their content, but the rights to a lot of beloved and timeless characters.
    DHX owns a lot of iconic shows, but they don't own the rights to a lot of the characters from those shows. Peanuts is probably the most well known iconic IP they own, but they're not worth buying a whole media conglomerate for. Especially when a lot of potential buyers have their own slate of IP ranging from classic to obscure that they can mine themselves.

It'd be different if their was a market to fill a TV channel with nothing but classic animation, but Toon Disney, Boomerang, and Nicktoons all ended up focusing on newer shows, so a lot of the DHX shows won't even get much airtime for long.
    Maybe they should relaunch their YouTube channels and post all their old shows there.

It's kind of crazy. The company ended up growing so big, it might be too big to sale as one entity. One thing's for sure, it'll be interesting to see what their plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel their plans to sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mc123

Mc123 New Member

I just realized that were some articles about Entertainment One buying DHX Media. Only for the takeover to be scrapped for reasons. Maybe this time they could be a potential buyer.

16. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Fremantle Media I guess could be a DHX buyer.

17. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Fremantle Media, huh?

A company called the "Lexington Broadcast Services Company" (later known as "LBS Communications") distributed most (but not all) of the shows DIC made for first run syndication. When LBS went out of business, their back catalog (that they had left*) was picked up by the company now known as Fremantle Media. It would be interesting If Fremantle Media (who still owns the rights to both seasons of M.A.S.K.) did buy out DHX, since in some ways, certain shows would be coming back to Fremantle Media full circle.

Having said all this however, I was never a fan of the DIC-Cookie Jar merger in the first place, especially since, in the most current versions of (some, but not all) of their shows, the Cookie Jar logo has been placed over the original DIC logos, and DHX never did anything about it. If DHX was to be bought by another company, what would happen to the current home video and online streaming versions of their shows?^ In any case, I personally don't think that any of the big companies will buy them.

*Most of DIC's shows simply went back to DIC themselves.

^Not only that, but some of DIC's shows still haven't been released on home video.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to hope that this doesn't effect me much considering I start work there in a little over a month :/

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Astroboy6969

Astroboy6969 Houston, we have liftoff, we also have a problem.

I've never seen Johnny Test or Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs: The Series try to be like the Xilam shows. But do they have enough money too buy DHX Media? I ain't sure.

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Fremantle Media owns The Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal, Family Feud, American Idol, America's Got Talent, and the game show libraries of Mark Goodson/Bill Todman (Match Game, What's My Line?, others), Carruthers Company (Press Your Luck), and Reg Grundy (Sale of the Century), Fremantle even owns the 1990's Baywatch drama serues and the BUZZR digital subchannel network.