1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Detective Comics (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 7, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Detective Comics"

1. *****

28.6%
  2. ****1/2

28.6%
  3. ****

14.3%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

14.3%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

An all-new creative team takes over! Do not miss this issue!

DETECTIVE COMICS #30

[​IMG]

Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO and FRANCIS MANAPUL
    Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

A bold new direction for Detective Comics as The Flash creative team of Francis Manapul and Brian Buccelato take over the creative reins! Batman finds himself knee-deep in a new mystery involving a deadly new narcotic that has hit the streets of Gotham City.

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This was a great comic! The new creative team definitely makes quite the impression here. The story was good though nothing really special yet but the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. It's really possible this book could quickly surpass Batman as the best Bat-title on the stands if things keep moving forward. I hope this is the start of DC allowing their writers and artists a little more creative freedom. We'll never completely get that since these are corporate comics but it's nice to see them shake things up a little and this truly qualifies. Such a great issue!

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Batman ... member of the GCPD? The new DC Universe is here! Are you ready?

DETECTIVE COMICS #41

[​IMG]

Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO and FRANCIS MANAPUL
    Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

Following the events of "Endgame," get ready to ride with the GCPD in a whole new city! Harvey Bullock is leading a Bat task force, but what are his duties, and can he be trusted? And what kind of welcome awaits his new partner, Renee Montoya?

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

Pretty big disappointment. The story was pretty mediocre and a little uneventful. It was a nice look at the cops within GCPD and I was really happy to see Montoya finally return, but I very disappointed in the art. Manapul is not doing the art despite what DC says and that seems to suck some of the life out of the story. I'll likely stick around for the entire four-issue arc but after that I'll be trade-waiting the rest I think. I'm all for a closer look at the police force in Gotham but everything seemed a bit off here and some of the motivations didn't seem to line up with other books.

5. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I just want to thank Harley Quinn once again for making my life miserable. Thanks to her, I had to over pay for the Neal Adams variant (this week's issue #49). While it's partially or all my fault, I missed it because the covers were solicited as incomplete black and white pencil drawings and never bothered to look at them again. Anyway, I'll admit it. I feel entitled to own this comic more over others because I was going to get ALL the Neal Adams variants, and most importantly I have gotten Detective Comics every month straight for the past TEN YEARS.

So thank you again Harley, for being the reason why I can't get Scooby-Doo Team Up #10 at cover price (a title I have gotten since it's debut), being the reason why I couldn't get this variant, and being the reason I can't fill small gaps in my collection just because you appear in a handful of late 90s early 2000s Batman and Superman comics. BTW Harley, your first appearance isn't the now WAY over valued Batman Adventures #12, you first appeared in "Joker's Favor" aired 9/11/1992, while the comic came out a YEAR later. That is not a first appearance. No special recognition for first comic book appearance. No special recognition for first in DC continuity appearance. None of those are first appearances. End Of Story.

6. Wonder Woman

You're not entitled to anything. No more than the next customer at the comic book store, you're not entitled to anything. You wanted all the Neal Adams variants, then you tell your comic book guy to put you on the pull list for them. Same for that Scooby comic. You want it? Make sure it's on your pull list. If it's not, then there's no guarantee you'll get one and that makes you no more entitled to a store's copy than the next person. Simple as that. And given how popular Harley Quinn has been for the last couple years and even moreso now with the Suicide Squad movie, that is something anyone could've easily predicted and compensated for. A comic with a low print run featuring one of the biggest characters around? Of course that's going to go up. None of this is the fault of an imaginary character's popularity but more with you not being prepared. Sorry dude. And yes, there is legitimate reason for her first appearances to be pricey as anyone with any idea on how the comic book industry works can tell you. First appearances of a popular character, especially their first in an industry driven by collectors and spectators, can be expected to go up, especially when they becomes the third or fourth most popular character for the #2 biggest comic company. Doesn't matter that she appeared in a cartoon first. She has successfully jumped over to become a huge comic book character so that changes thing. All of this is pretty basic for any comic collector who's been doing this for eve a few years.

On topic, how great were Detective #48-49? I dropped the title a few issues ago but a friend convinced me to pick up these last couple of issues and they were simply fantastic. I'm glad to hear Snyder will be taking this title over after the reboot to work on more stories like his great 'Black Mirror' stuff that first got him start on Batman. Pretty exciting!