1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Detective Comics (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 7, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Detective Comics"

1. *****

28.6%
  2. ****1/2

28.6%
  3. ****

14.3%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

14.3%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Daniel continues to tie-up loose ends on his Detective Comics run!

DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #1

[​IMG]

Written by TONY S. DANIEL
    Art by Art by ROMANO MOLENAAR and SANDU FLOREA

• The grudge match you’ve been waiting for: BATMAN vs. THE BLACK MASK!

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It looks like the annual ties up Daniel's run on Detective Comics. The #0 issue is written by the new series writer and focuses on the past. The preview looks promising but I have to say I am happy to see Daniel also leaving the book artwise. He is a fine artist but his storytelling abilities are still a bit weak and his increasing sketchy style doesn't mesh with a lot of writers.

3. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, John Layman doesn't come on until #13. #0 is written by Gregg Hurwitz.

4. James Harvey

Discover the origins of The New 52!

DETECTIVE COMICS #0

[​IMG]

Written by GREGG HURWITZ
    Art by TONY DANIEL and RICHARD FRIEND
    Backup story art by SZYMON KUDRANSKI

• Discover how young Bruce Wayne learned to wield the martial arts, and how a major villain was introduced into his life.

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

Thanks for correcting me, Jin! I was so sure the new series writing was doing the zero issue. Still the issue we got here was actually pretty good. Still I am glad to see Daniel moving on. I think this series could use a little change in the artwork. It was a nice look at Bruce's training and there was some great Alfred stuff in there too. It was probably the best issue this book has had in a few months easy.

6. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

This is my favorite Detective of the relaunch. Great story, very well-told. The epilogue/backup at the end was unnecessary, but not a bad story. It's the first time in a few months that I liked the backup story less than the main one.

I, too, am happy to see new writers on this title. I don't have a problem with Daniel's artwork, but I felt his stories weren't gripping enough. I constantly forgot details and clues that would have helped me better understand what was going on. It's not that he made the stories confusing, it's that he didn't make me care enough about what was going on to pay close attention.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for more stand-alone stories in the future, but I doubt that will be happening.

7. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

Actually, this was a temporary creative team this issue. Next week, we will get a new creative team, and the issues will be more stand alone(but leading to over arching story.)

8. James Harvey

The new creative team debuts!

DETECTIVE COMICS #13

[​IMG]

Written by JOHN LAYMAN
    Art and cover by JASON FABOK

• All kneel before Emperor Penguin!
    • There’s a hit out on Bruce Wayne!
    • This new story from writer John Layman (Chew) gueststars Nightwing!

Comments?

9. Wonder Woman

Wow - what a change for the book! I was absolutely blown away by this issue! The writing was great and the art was fantastic. Layman has definitely made a huge impact on the book. Even the back-up was great and provided a great look at the criminal side of Gotham. A great start for Layman and pretty interesting. I love the take he is doing with Penguin and the cliffhanger is definitely interesting. I wonder how Bruce is going to get out of it without revealing his identity.

10. James Harvey

A new year of Detective Comics continues!

DETECTIVE COMICS #14

[​IMG]

Written by JOHN LAYMAN

• When Bruce Wayne’s life is saved by The Penguin, what surprises are in store for The Dark Knight?
    • And in the backup story, an intimate look at Gotham City’s most dangerous foes provides a hint of the maelstrom to come.

Comments?

11. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

these first two issues by mr. layman have made the most positive impression on me out of all the new 52 comics since they were launched last year. i think we still have a long way to go before i see something noteworthy or amazing in all the new 52 books i get, but we're finally off to a start. layman's first 2 issues of detective comics are also way more "better" than all of scott snyder's new 52 batman comics COMBINED.

12. James Harvey

A new year of Detective Comics continues!

DETECTIVE COMICS #15

[​IMG]

Written by JOHN LAYMAN
    Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE

• A “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” tie-in!
    • What has The Joker done with The Penguin?
    • Guest-starring Poison Ivy and Clayface!
    • Plus: In the backup story, learn the secret way to make it as a super criminal in Gotham City.

Comments?

13. Wonder Woman

I've dropped a few monthly books from my pull list and have been considering adding this to my Batman list. I planned to just get the trades, especially after how bad the book got before the new creative team. How has the last few issues been? Worth skipping the trades and just going monthly?

14. James Harvey

A "Death of the Family" tie-in!

DETECTIVE COMICS #16

[​IMG]

Written by JOHN LAYMAN
    Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE

• As The Joker continues to wreak havoc on The Dark Knight and his allies, Batman is forced to cut a deal with The Penguin…one that will come back to haunt both of them when a new villain interferes!
    • And in the backup story, Ignatius Ogivly usurps The Penguin’s throne and decides to lead the underworld crimelords in The Penguin’s place!

Comments?

15. Wonder Woman

Depending on how this arc plays out I may go right back to trades here. I'm not really liking Emperor Penguin. He's bland and doesn't really feel all that threatening or makes any type of real impact. I can't see him lasting long. I do like the setting of the whole "Death of the Family" to help up the intensity a bit but it makes Emperor Penguin seem pretty unimpressive. I did really like the Jokerz-esque gangs though.

16. James Harvey

Special 900th issue celebration .... kinda.

DETECTIVE COMICS #19

[​IMG]

Written by JOHN LAYMAN & VARIOUS
    Art and cover by JASON FABOK & VARIOUS

• In a special oversized celebratory issue, Batman is challenged by the "Mystery of the 900!”

Comments?

17. Wonder Woman

A pretty good issue. It might bring me back into the fold after the kind of stale "Emperor Penguin" stuff. The artwork is pretty fantastic, too. It's not perfect but the artist is getting better with every issue. Nice to see the Manbats, too.

18. James Harvey

Kicking off the 75th anniversary of Batman! Check out this epic, mega-sized issue!

DETECTIVE COMICS #27

[​IMG]

Written by JOHN LAYMAN, SCOTT SNYDER, PAUL DINI, BRAD MELTZER, GREGG HURWITZ and PETER J. TOMASI
    Art by JASON FABOK, NEAL ADAMS, DUSTIN NGUYEN, GUILLEM MARCH, FRANK MILLER and others

DC Entertainment presents this mega-sized issue featuring an all-star roster of Batman creators past and present! Don’t miss a modern-day retelling of The Dark Knight’s origin by the incredible team of writer Brad Meltzer and artist Bryan Hitch! Plus, all-new stories by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy, Peter J. Tomasi and Guillem March, Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen, Gregg Hurwitz and Neal Adams, new art by legendary Batman writer/artist Frank Miller and more! Also in this issue, John Layman and Jason Fabok kick off the new storyline “Gothtopia”! It’s a bright, shiny, happy place where dreams come true...as long as you don’t look at things too closely.

Comments?

19. Wonder Woman

I found all the stories were pretty good though the pin-ups were mostly a let down. It was nice to see Graham Nolan and Kelly Jones providing some art though. I found the Gothtopia opening issue to be pretty interesting and I'm surprised at how fast the story is moving. It seems like something that would be stretched out to six issues but it looks to be shorter than that. The light grey/white costume Batman has is cool looking and the visible eyes is a neat take. Catbird's mix of the Catwoman/Robin suit is also pretty cool. All in all it has me interested though it's fairly predictable how this will all end.

20. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

WOW, That Frank Miller cover is just garbage.

Neal Adams story was the most Fun.

Gothtopia looks interesting. I will wait and read the entire story when its collected in paperback.