"Detective Comics (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 7, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Detective Comics"

1. *****

28.6%
  2. ****1/2

28.6%
  3. ****

14.3%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

14.3%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Follow Batman's adventure in the new DC Universe with the all-new Detective Comics!

DETECTIVE COMICS #1

[​IMG]

Written by TONY S. DANIEL
    Art by TONY S. DANIEL and RYAN WINN

DC’s flagship title is relaunched for the first time ever, with new Batman adventures from acclaimed writer/ artist Tony S. Daniel! A killer called The Gotham Ripper is on the loose on Batman’s home turf – leading The Dark Knight on a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Comments?

2. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Man, you got to love Tony Daniel. He was a huge reason as to why I was a monthly visitor to "Batman" before the reboot and he's a huge reason as to why I picked up Detective Comics, a book I was originally going to skip aside from the first issue. I was really into the story in Detective Comics #1 and I found the art to be quite phenomenal, the cover was pure perfection and the entire package was so beautifully done. I would go as far as to say that I enjoyed this just a little more than Justice League #1 (which I loved), I'd recommend this book to all Batman fans and fans of the amazing art/writing of Tony Daniel, his pencils are just so amazing and his rendition of Batman is near perfection.

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I was originally planning to strictly get only three new DC titles : Justice League, Action Comics, and Batman -- But I'm a little concerned that Batman may not actually be the best Batman title to get, so I did not want to eliminate the possibility of replacing it with Detective Comics or Batman: The Dark Knight.

When it comes down to it, I'm a bigger fan art-wise of Tony Daniel's and David Finch's style, than I am of Greg Capullo's, who I think is also a great artist, just not one I'm sure is fitted for my taste when it comes to Batman.

But since the first issue of Batman has yet to come out, I figured I might as well take a peek at Detective Comics #1, and after seeing Tony Daniel's impressive artwork, which is a bit reminiscent of Frank Miller's early Dark Knight Returns stuff, I had to buy it. After reading it so far, I'm at least on board for issue #2.

4. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

In all honesty I was going to skip Detective Comics #1 too since I wasn't impressed with Daniel's work on the Batman comic. However after reading about the cliffhanger ending over on Bleeding Cool I snatched it up and I have to say...I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the comic. I thought some of the dialogue was a little clunky (That "I own the night" line) but I enjoyed the rest and found that Daniel really improved on his pencils. I plan to at least get the next issue to see how the cliffhanger is resolved. I was really, really stunned by it.

5. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Yeah, count me as another who was going to pass on this, but picked it up 'in the moment' at the shop today. This is much better than most of Daniel's run on Batman, which was generally decent but not always compelling. I wouldn't say it's overwritten, but it does lean more towards what I remember from the narration-heavy Doug Moench years in the 90s. And Ryan Winn seems to be a good choice for inker - Daniel's previous run had an intentionally rough look to it but this is a very smooth and sharp-looking book.

Congrats, DC. Maybe there's something to artist/writers after all.

6. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

I liked this a lot more than JL #1. I've been enjoying Tony Daniel's run on Batman before the relaunch so I was obviously going to pick this one up and because it's Detective Comics, which I usually get anyway, but I was totally blown away by this #1.Totally awesome in every sense of the word. Beautiful art that just screams Batman, but a really engaging story that feels like I actually read a complete chapter of a story with a beginning, middle, and end that feeds directly into the next issue. The only minor nitpick I have is that he could be writing the Joker a little bit better. I think he got it near the end of the issue, but when Joker was with Batman, something didn't feel right 100%. But then again, personally, nobody writes the Joker better than Grant Morrison where every word he says means something whether you know it or not. The last page of the issue was truly chilling as well.

This is what the DC New 52 should be all about! Can't wait for Detective #2!

7. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Same here - you've pretty much summed up my thought, only I had no clue about the cliffhanger.

Anyone think this is going to lead to The Joker getting a Chelsea smile?

8. Manga4life

I've read this issue 5x now and everytime I do it seems to get better and better! I love the interaction between Batman and the Commish and I love the way they depicted The Joker, I was truly hoping he was going to be crazy and sadistic. As I've said before, the art by Tony Daniel was top notch and the book has a dark and brooding feel to it that I love for Batman, this was quite the treat indeed.

I'm very much looking forward to the 2nd issue, at least I have the rest of the DCU books coming to ease the pain of the wait. I've opted for 24/52 of the new #1's to start and I hope to keep up with 10-15 of the monthlies when I weed out what I like and what I don't.

9. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I really enjoyed this issue. Very well written Batmans inner thoughts and the Jokers insanity were a highlight . This Joker is really out there and the ending was crazy.

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!

The writing in this reminded me of the Todd MacFarlane riff in the Ambush Bug: Nothing Special from a couple decades back, poking fun what it's like when an artist decides he wants to be a writer. "The city broods like some kind of....brooding city. Hey, this isn't so hard!" I think I actually might've laughed out loud when I got to the clunky "His modus operandi changes with the wind...and it's been windy in Gotham City" bit. It just seems like it's trying way too hard to be dark and edgy but really isn't particularly good at it. I AM GOTHAM! I OWN THE NIGHT! I READ THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH! Lazy and cliched and wait-hologram-Alfred-what? until the very, very end. I'll admit to being curious what the heck that final shot is gonna lead to, although I'm guessing the answer is "not much" since DC's not going to render one of its most iconic characters unrecognizable. I thought it was "okay, I guess" the first time through, but I really, really, really hated it with a second read.

11. Manga4life

As I've mentioned numerous times before, I loved Detective Comics #1 and I absolutely cannot wait to see the reasoning behind The Joker having the surgery that he had at the end of the first issue. I'm wondering if possibly the Joker we've seen in the first issue is a fake and the real Joker is out and about and this has all been one big ruse for Batman.....? There is so many ways to go about what happened that my head is spinning, I've literally read Detective Comics #1 7x now and I'm starting to salavate over finding out the reason as to why The Joker had done what he had done.

I guess we will have to wait and see......

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Yeah, as I said earlier, I was very impressed with the issue, too. It wasn't as great as Batman #1, but I liked it a lot more than Action Comics #1. Unfortunately, unless I'm totally blown away by the next issue of Detective Comics, I'm probably going to drop it in favor of Batman, since I'm limiting myself to only one continuing Batman series.

I have a feeling that this whole thing with Joker cutting off his face isn't going to impress me no matter how it ends. It was a great cliffhanger ending for the first issue, but I don't think I'm going to like it no matter how it's resolved. If it's really not the Joker and some imposter that was posing as the Joker that got his face skinned off, then I'll feel disappointed; However, if it really is the Joker and we now have a new face or no face for the character, I'm not going to be happy with that either (even if it's only temporary). So, unless there's some super-impressive shocking twist to all this that's totally unpredictable and satisfying to me as a fan, I think I'll just be sticking with Snyder's and Capullo's Batman series. I'll make my final decision after issue #2.

13. James Harvey

Follow Batman's adventure in the new DC Universe with the all-new Detective Comics!

DETECTIVE COMICS #2

[​IMG]

Batman sets his sights on the Gotham Ripper, who in turn has his sights on Batman. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne explores a budding romance with television journalist Charlotte Rivers, who’s visiting Gotham City to cover the gruesome slayings – while also trying to uncover Bruce’s own mystery. But time is running out as both Commissioner Gordon and Batman work to uncover the true identity of this new serial killer.

Comments?

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

Although I enjoyed the first issue of Detective Comics, I was actually considering cutting the title from my purchases, since I'm already getting the Snyder/Capullo Batman title every month; But after last month's cliffhanger, I figured I better at least buy the next issue to see how it develops. Well, a little disappointingly, it appears that there's not much more light shed on last month's cliffhanger -- I guess more will be revealed with that later in the arc -- but I was still pretty impressed with this issue, so I think I'm going to stick with Detective as a regular monthly read for now.

My current pull list:

Justice League
    Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Batman

15. suss2it

suss2it New Member

16. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Not sure what to think of the cover for issue #5. Usually when an artist does a split image like that, they line up the features of both characters. Here it just feels like we're getting half of a Batman image and half of a Penguin image.

Issue #2 was good, though Daniel's romance scenes felt very cardboard (much like Finch's). The issue ends with another cliffhanger, and I hope this series doesn't rely on the shock-value endings to keep readers interested (who's next to get a makeover? Alfred?).

Was reading Tony Daniel's previous run on Batman again, and in hindsight I can't honestly say if his writing's gotten better or worse, just the overarching plots are more interesting now. The Black Mask plot thread was easily the least inspired in the Batman: Reborn era, and it just felt like the wrong time to dig back into the Falcone crime family and characters like I Ching.

17. James Harvey

The Dollmaker picks his next target in the latest Detective Comics!

DETECTIVE COMICS #3

[​IMG]

He makes dolls out of his victims – and he’s tired of being referred to in the media as the Gotham Strangler. His moniker is the Dollmaker, and he and his insane family are going to hunt down Gotham City’s public figures and turn them into the ultimate collectables. As the Dollmaker ups the stakes, Batman finds himself in a race against time – because one of his allies is the Dollmaker’s next target!

Comments?

18. Manga4life

Loved issue #2 of Detective Comics, especialy this Dollmaker character and his ensamble of freaky friends, I can't wait to see them all in action soon! The art in this issue was simply amazing, the writing was fun, and there's nothing like seeing Batman get (in this case, bang) the girl, lol. All in all I would say Detective Comics has been my Batman title of choice in the new DCU, I like Dark Knight and the core Batman title too, but Detective Comics has tickled my fancy a tab bit more than the others and gets my vote.

19. James Harvey

Can Batman escape Dollmaker's twisted conspiracy?

DETECTIVE COMICS #4

[​IMG]

As Batman uncovers a deranged plot with far-reaching tentacles that touch some of the city’s most elite citizens, he finds himself facing off against his newest and most fearsome foes: Dollmaker and his twisted family of killers!

Comments?

20. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

Really enjoyable issue this month, The Dollmaker is an awesome villain and I can't wait to see Batman and him finally face off in the end.Oh yeah and Year One reference ftw (The Police Copter). I guess Frank Millar's 80's revamp of Batman's origin is still canon after all.