1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Deleted scenes from old Disney movies

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Joanna Goatz, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Joanna Goatz

Joanna Goatz New Member

I recently read the original Peter and Wendy novel and was surprised how much it differs from book. But after seeing some original concept art from Disney ARL, I think they were originally going to include the Never Bird:

Does anyone have the Disney DVD or BluRay? I'd like to know if the Never Bird scenes were fully animated and then cut.

I'm interested in seeing any other old Disney deleted scenes that the ARL might have, or if they are on dvd special features.

2. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

In Warner Bros' take on Peter Pan, a prequel called "Pan", the Never Bird appeared as a giant, skeletal bird with feathers, and cartoonish-looking eyes!

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I don't own the Blu-ray, but scenes that get cut from the movie are almost never fully animated unless there's some very special extenuating circumstances. If a scene isn't working or needs edits, you really want to discover that as early as possible (in storyboarding or in animatics) or it's going to cost a whole lot of money for something you're going to throw away. That's why most deleted scenes for animation are still left in storyboard or animatic form; the only one I can think of that was fully animated was a song that got cut out of the first Planes, and the director even said in the commentary that they went out of their way to finish the scene even though they knew it wasn't going to go into the movie.

4. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

I heard some claims that early test screens of Bambi adapted a scene from the book where Bambi and his father discover a corpse of a hunter to present Man's own morality, though it was cut when several members of the audience jumped from their seats in horror.

5. Silver Cerf

Silver Cerf New Member

I don't own the dvd or anything but looking at the second picture, the one with the seagull model sheet. I'm pretty sure that seagull was in the final movie, she looks familiar. I remember her making a nest for eggs in Captain Hook's hat or something.

Right??

6. Clamity Jane

Clamity Jane New Member

I played the Neverbird in my school play! Bummer she is not in the Disney version :(

I think you have the wrong movie. I watched Peter Pan recently. No seagull character in the movie. However there is a scene in Alice in Wonderland where Alice grows big and gets a bird nest on her head and has to deal with the frantic mother bird trying to get her eggs. Is this what you remember?
    But this never happens to Captain Hook.

#6 Clamity Jane, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
  7. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Wasn't there a scene where Smee is shaving Hook and the seagull lands on his head, leading to it's buttocks being shaven bare?

8. Silver Cerf

Silver Cerf New Member

It think I remember, doesn't the seagull make her nest in Capt. Hook's hat? Could have sworn that was a scene in the original Disney movie.

9. Ava Cocoa Puff

Ava Cocoa Puff YepYepYep

It's funny how this same scene came up in a thread last year. For some reason PP seems to be the forgettable Disney movie.

It's not the "Neverbird", but the seagull from the second model sheet is in the final film in the scene where Captain Hook is recovering from a croc attack in his captain's cabin. Smee is trying to comfort and prepare dinner (Smee is cook in the book/play I think). There is a seagull who made her nest on the window I believe from an earlier scene and Smee tries to cook her for dinner like a chicken while she is sleeping. The sea gull luckily wakes up and flies out the window, but not unscathed-- we see the sight gag of her plucked bare bottom :oops:
    Smee keeps salting the air for some time afterward before noticing she's gone.

10. Clamity Jane

Clamity Jane New Member

Whoa - what?? I think you have this confused for the scene with the geese in Aristocats.

11. Ava Cocoa Puff

Ava Cocoa Puff YepYepYep

Nope! I don't mean Uncle Edgar from Aristocats, although the same sort of thing happens to him.

I mean the seagull who nearly gets herself cooked by Smee in Peter Pan, same as we were talking above. See the image that was posted of her model sheet (it's the one after the deleted Peter in nest scene):