1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Death of Superman" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 22, 2017.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A "Death of Superman" animated movie was announced for 2018 at the San Diego Comic-Con.
    Source: DC Comics Blog

Stay tuned for further updates!
    Comments?

Related Discussion
    :
    "Reign of the Supermen" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

That;s one way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Superman: Doomsday.

Doomsday is still one of my favorite DC DTV's, so I'm excited to see what this one does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

WHAT? THEY'RE DOING AN ANIMATED MOVIE THAT'S NOT BATMAN????!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! FINALLY...............wait. I just remembered BATMAN appears in the comic story. *sigh*

Regardless, I'm glad they're redoing it. I thought Superman: Doomsday was not good, and mostly because I flat out expected a more faithful adaptation, and didn't get it. I can only use one word to describe the potential of seeing this classic story faithfully adapted as an animated movie (or just imagine a live action one) - EPIC. And Superman: Doomsday was not epic at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

I am very happy with this !! I hope they include the JLI in the battle against Doomsday!
    And see the entire DCU in the funeral!

I need to see this:
    [​IMG]
    I will be happy if they respect the heroes who carry the drawer, including the Atom above! :D

• Like Like x 2
    #4 EmaHalJordan, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Well, if they're going to bother remaking the film I certainly hope they bring on a far more talented set of animators. Heck, even TMS would be nice if they could get Aoyama Hiroyuki to be the animation director.

I have to wonder if they're going to reuse that character design made for the 75th Anniversary short?

6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

It's been 25 years we've already had this done in an animated and live action movie out of the stories they can do that are not Batman they decide on this retreating a story that's already been done to death, for shame.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A part of me can't help but wonder whether we really need another adaption of Death of Superman given this line of movies started with that story and, despite everything they cut out, I thought Superman: Doomsday was a solid adaption of the entire storyline in the constraints of one movie :).

But another part of me is also really happy that we're finally getting another Superman film after the constant slew of Batman stuff, and I'm curious to see what this adaption will be like and how it will compare to Doomsday now that they have more time to expand on the story and adapt it more faithfully ;).

I'm also really curious to see if this will actually be in-continuity, since they seem to be mum on that front, since this could have major story implications on the new animated universe if it is :ack:.

Though I have to say that I think it'll be tough for them to top their take on the Doomsday fight in the original movie, but I'm eager to see them try again :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Um, yay for bringing back Superman titles.

On the other hand, wow. They had a retrospective for 10 years of DC animated features, a series kicked off by Superman: Doomsday, and now they bring back Superman by revisiting an animated movie subject they already did? And let's not forget how creatively restricted DC and WB are by constantly telling origin and death stories of Superman. Maybe they should've given up with Superman Unbound.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

*sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh* so not only is BATMAN in the comic story, my excitement for the epic potential makes me forget the legit possibility they might tweak this story to fit into their animated shared universe. After I completed my first post, I also wondered if they will use the REAL Superman suit or have him wear the current one. Why is it so difficult to get these things "right"?

Although, if they were going to do those tweaks and god knows what else, would they bother to split the story up into 2 movies?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Hopefully Batman is just a minor supporting character and won't take the spotlight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

This should be interesting. I haven't read the source material, but the original movie is still solid. It'll be interesting to see an expanded version of if.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Well, Reign of the Supermen could bring several characters into the shared animated universe: the Conner Kent Superboy; Steel; the Cyborg Superman; and, the Eradicator Superman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And John Henry Irons already made a cameo in Thrones of Atlantis :cool:.

14. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Yes, and that could be viewed as set-up for this.

• Agree Agree x 1